Maternal & Child Community
My baby chokes a lot while drinking formula
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My baby chokes a lot while drinking formula

I have a concern my baby is about 1 month and a week old and when I'm feeding her she tends to choke, sometimes to the point where she can't breath and is gasping for air sometimes it happens on every feeding but not all the time. I've tried varies techniques for example: sitting her upright, taking breaks in between so she can be able to slow whatever she has in her mouth, I'm using level 1 nipples. I told her doctor about it and he didn't seem concern he just told me to be extra careful when i'm feeding her. I want to know if this is something serious and should i be concern?
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
150483_tn?1212172156
My baby used to do that.Her pedi said it was bc when small,they don't know you can breath from both mouth & nose.So they choke.You can also use the x type nipples that flow amount by the sucking motion.I use Playtex Ventaire.There great for Colic BTW.
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
dd did this as well. she couldn't coordinate her suck, swallow, breathe pattern. it is also a big reason why she wasn't able to nurse successfully. everytime she took her mouth off the nipple to catch her breathe, she would break the seal, and it's harder to reform the seal on a big, soft human nipple. we tried every nipple under the sun, and the only one that works is the nuk orthodontic nipple (made by gerber- the narrow neck not the wide neck). because the hole is on top of the nipple, the milk didn't continue to stream into her mouth when she paused her sucking to catch her breath. in addition, the nuk has a firm based that is easy for her to seal her mouth back around after she catches her breathe. medela has a similar orthodontic nipple as well.
Blank
I'd try different nipples to see if she does better with a particular brand.  Maybe level 1 of that brand is too fast for her.
Blank
376739_tn?1317669990
Totally agree with the other ladies. Newborns are learning how to suck and swallow and breathe at the same time. The flow could still be too fast for her. I remember my little ones doing this. Give her some time and she'll be drinking like a pro! Just make feedings real slow.
Blank
224256_tn?1212260623
I will try other nipples to see which is best. Thank you ladies like always very helpful......
Blank
220217_tn?1209683277
My twins do this as well honey - it's a learning situation for both them and us.  We have tried several different nipples and even bottles.  We have found that the Dr. Brown's work the best for our preemie twins.  That's what Brodie was doing and turning blue.  He has not had an episode since we switched to the new bottles and nipples.  It's worth a shot.
Blank
224256_tn?1212260623
Yea one of my twins scared me the other day when she also turned blue. I got really scared. I am using Dr. Brown's and that's the one they choke on sometimes. I also tried the Avent bottles and still doesn't work.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank