Maternal & Child Community
My baby won't take a pacifier....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My baby won't take a pacifier....

My baby girl was born on Dec. 4th/06 and I am breastfeeding her.  She is constantly wanting to suck.  It comforts her.  However, she will NOT take a pacifier.  The only things she will take are either my baby finger or my nipple.  I have tried two different pacifiers, I am on my way to see if I can find a couple different pacifiers, any suggestions?  My two boys didn't seem to want to suck the way she does.  They never wanted or needed a pacifier, but she does.  Thanks so much.
My daughter was born 12/05/06.  She is kinda the same way.  The only pacifer she will take is call Soothie.  It is green and almost looks like a nipple from a bottle.  That is the only one she takes.  Good luck.

Tamara
Some babies just don't like sookies.
my daughter didn't take to a pacifier neither. I tried the first couple of months but since she didn't want one, i just forgot about it....its actually good in the long run if you think about it....
My son didn't take one either, he would just suck, but when I tried to give him a pacifier, he would get mad.  I think he expected food to come out, he would scream every time I tried.  I gave up pretty quick, but it is nice because I never had to break that habit.  A friend of mine has a little girl a few months older than my son, she is 3 and 1/2 and will not give up the pacifier.  The poor mom is totally embarrassed when they go out in public.  According to her Dr. as long as she stops by 5 it is totally normal, but I agree, I think I would start to get a little embarrassed too.  Maybe your little one just doesn't want it, after more than a month, my guess is that they would have taken to it by now.
When I had my first, I thought I didn't want him to have a pacifier, but my pediatrician told me to get one for him.  She said, "He's a sucker and he'll eventually find his thumb or finger--and believe me, it will be MUCH harder to get him to stop sucking his thumb than to stop using the pacifier."  So I tried every one out there until I finally found one that he would take.  I really think it's an individual preference thing, though--what works for others may not work for you, so just keep looking.
I agree with you.  I don't WANT her to take one, but I would rather a pacifier than a thumb!  And actually it is rather embarassing right now when the only thing that will calm her down is sucking on someone's baby finger...and I don't feel right about her sucking on everyone who wants to hold her finger. And everyone wants to hold her and unless they give her their finger she will fuss and fuss and that is no fun for anyone!  Thank you for everyone's input.  I appreciate it!
Just a funny story, but when my sister was little, she became a pacifier junky to the extent that she had to have one in her mouth, one in her hand to rub her nose with, and a few on her fingers like rings. This developed into the one in her mouth had to be this one particular clear one, that she wore the nipple out on and my dad had to transplant a nipple to it from another pacifier. This went on until she was about four years old, where pacifiers were more common in couch cusions than spare change - until one day she stopped, cold turkey. My grandma had told her they had bugs on them, and that was it.

I'd prefer my son doesn't use a pacifier or suck his thumb - but I'll deal with that when I get there. I was a thumb-sucker until kindergarten, and my parents had to put no-bite on my thumb sometimes because it got raw from all the sucking.

Is there any other way to keep the baby entertained? If you keep the finger habit, then she's going to keep expecting it.
I understand how you wouldn't want everyone's fingers in her mouth!  That's actually what the pediatrician did when she told me to get a pacifier...she put her pinkie in his mouth to quiet him because he was screaming his head off (I asked if he was colicky and that's when she told me to get a pacifier).

My ds used a pacifier at bedtime until he was a month shy of 4!  I remember checking out at Walmart one day and when the cashier scanned the pacifier, she looked at ds and said, "Please tell me you have a baby at home."  I told her that was none of her business.  LOL!  It was a bit embarrassing at times, but HE was my concern, not strangers or even judgmental friends and family.

Ds stopped using it cold turkey when we went to the pediatric dentist one day (right before he turned 4).  I told the dentist that ds used a pacifier at night and he didn't seemed the slightest bit concerned about it.  I asked if it was ok and he said, "Yes...as long as he stops by the time he's 5--that's when the crossbite that can develop from using them is harder to correct, but it will correct itself if he stops by the time he's 5."  I asked him to have a "man to man talk" with ds about it and he did and ds never used the pacifier again.  The dentist also told me that he feels pacifiers are better--that the crossbite is much worse with thumb suckers and you can't just take the thumb away at 5 like you can a pacifier.  Ds is now 10 and has no mouth problems and really nice teeth.
That is so funny about your sister!!!  My ds was like that at one point--I actually have a picture of him on my fridge from when he was 3...we were visiting my mother and I had the binkie supply in the suitcase.  Well, ds found the supply and my mom found him sitting on the sofa, watching Little Bear, with a binking in his mouth, one in each hand and three on his lap!  Just in case!  ;)  We found them in the sofa all the time, too!
I can't help very much other than have other people give her the paci--my 2nd little guy would not take a paci if I was by him--he could smell mom--so mama or papa always did--at home he never took it but at there house he did--after I switched to formula his need to suck all the time decreased greatly..
my neice and nephew never took one at all
I know the babies are still young, but you can do this and it will not hurt.  Put a little bit, very small amount, of jelly on the pacifier.  Do not use any type of honey or honey based jelly.
That's tough if she won't take one, I rememember when my DD was born the hospital asked me if I wanted her to have a paci, I said no, well I was glad they had some available because by the second 2, I was a giant pacifier and my nipples where so sore.
She took it very well and was addicted to them, she had to have one in her mouth and one in each hand to rub until last year when she lost them all and I got tired of spending 30 minutes a day looking for them (she was just turning 2).
I used pacifier when I was little until I was 5, I had 5 or 6 of them tied with a shoestring, the day I turned 5 I threw them away and said I'm a big girl now, and put my thumb in my mouth right away (like my sister) and had braces for 5 years because of that.
Your DD will eventually get better, you can try different kind of pacifiers but she might not want any at all.
Good luck
Have you tried the NUK one? Quinn is not to big on the pacifier thing either but she does prefer that one.
mine always like the silicone gerber ones.
oh apple i love that about your sis!! when my niece was 2 my sis cut her off from her b (as she called it)> my sister said they were broken. then said they are mailing them to babies who need b's. so i went over and asked my adorable little niece "what happened to your b?" and her reply was"dam.n b broke!" lol. anyway my son was a super sucker. used me as a pacifier every night for a few hours. then threw up from eating too much. he would not take a paci. he eventually got his thumb into his mouth and its the worst to break! i guess i offered no help whatsoever did i? sorry
Thank you ladies.  I have had a bit of success with NUK (but not enough to keep her happy).  Her nick name is Little Miss Fussy Pants, because she does nothing but suck on finger, nipple or fuss....it becomes difficult to get things done with only one hand.  I wonder if they have the the SOOTHIE's in Canada.  I will have to check around.  Believe me, I would prefer she didn't want/need one, but she really does need one!  
Thanks again!
some baby's just don't take pacifiers.  My daughter literally gags when I put one in her mouth, she is 3 months old.  Yes it would be nice to give her one a night time to sooth her to sleep, but I am a stay at home mom and I can be her soother, not with my breast but with my gentle rocking and quiet singing.  Why do we always turn to man made things to give us comfort?  How do you think women in 3rd world countries sooth their babies, not with a piece of plastic i'm sure.  3 months is to old to be introducing a pacifier to her now.  Your suppose to start weening your child of a soother by 4 or 5 months anyways.  So don't worry!  But also don't give in to giving her your pinky finger either.  Distract your baby when she becoms fussy, change the senory, pat her back.  The book "The Baby Whisper" is a great book to read!  It says that baby's can't focus on 3 things all at the same time, so if you pat your baby's back and say "shhh, shhh, shhh" and keep doing this your baby will no longer be able to focus on her crying.  Anyways hope this help! All the best!
I was born and raised in India and this was in the 70's and yes I had a pacifier.  Pacifier is not a first world things.  It is available globally.
hey my little wont take a pacifier at all but she's wanting to suck on her bottle at night cause she's teethin what can i do