Maternal & Child Community
My daughter has flat feet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My daughter has flat feet

Hey ladies.  Just wondering if there's anyone out there who has experience with flat feet.  My daughter has extremely flat feet...very noticable.  There is no arch whatsoever.  As a result, her ankles appear to be bent inward.  She is 3 and a half years old.  Her ped has told me its genetic...which I believe to be true because I remember it taking years before I could hold my ankles straight enough to ice-skate independantly. Her ped has also told me that it will take a while before she will have the strength in her muscles and ligaments.  She's been to see a specialist and is going for another appt April 23.  Just wanted to throw this out there, so I could find out what to expect and what your experiences may have been like.  I'd love to hear your stories/suggestions.  Thank you everyone!
Tags: flat, feet
Aww...is there really nobody out there with any wisdom on flat feet??  Giving this one last try...I hope to hear back from someone!  Thanks :)
At DS's 3 year check up in October we asked the doctor about flat feet because we felt his knees were too close together.  The doctor said he would grow out of it in time and the only way to really tell about flat feet is to watch their wet footprint on concrete in the summertime.  We live in Michigan so there hasn’t been any wet prints outside yet so I'm not sure if he's showing improvement or not.

Have you looked into buying shoes with big arches?  The doctor said if we were really concerned we could do this or even cut out sponges and place them under the padding on his current shoes.  Does your daughter really have not even the slightest hint of an arch?  The doctor said at this age a lot of kids look like they have flat feet because their arch is so small.  My DH has really flat feet too so that’s why we’ve been concerned about our son.
You know, its strange and hard to tell at this point.  If its true that it will end up being a mind over matter thing and they will learn to straighten things out on their own, or with a little help, then I must say that my daughter must have an arch, but just floppy ankles.  When I stand behind her and look at her ankles and feet, her ankles are bent inward, but it's not a permanent bend.  By that, I mean that while sitting, she has great movement of her ankles in all directions, just not enough strength while standing to keep an arch.  When I say she has no arch while standing, I mean that her feel are very flat.  I'd have to say if there was anything for an arch there, its tiny.  I've used high-top shoes and shoes with arches as much as possible...it is really seeming that she needs to get older and build the strength herself.
I'm not sure how common this is and what its like for others such as yourself, but I know that with my daughter, its prominent enough to be noticed easily even by non-family members.  Is you DH that noticeable, too?
My son (just turned 4) has incredibly flat feet, no arch at all, he wears arch supports made by a pediatric ortotics specialist in his shoes or a high top orthapedic boot with ankle support if walking for any length of time.

Here's how to tell..
Have her put her feet in some finger paints and get her to walk on a piece of paper (it's fun for her and you'll be able to see what you are looking for.
This site has some pictures to compare...

http://www.aofas.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3333

Fallen arches (flat feet) can cause problems such bunions, callus, corns, achilles tendonitis, shin pain, severe heel pain, knee and ankle pain if not supported correctly so it is a good thing she will see the specialist soon.

Best wishes.
Thank you so much for that information.  I do know that she has flat feet, as she has already been to see a spec and her ped as well...but I've been getting her to wear proper-fitting high-top shoes with good arches in the hopes that her ped and spec are right in saying she will grow out of it.  If this is what was wrong with me when I was little, I don't believe I grew out of it until about age 6 or 7...and even then, I felt like I was just learning how to skate and it took me a while after that to finally get it...
How are your son's feet doing now?  Do you notice any improvement?  Have there been setbacks, such as not being able to run and jump properly, physical activity and such?
Well he also has cerebral palsy which affects his right leg also so he ca't get his heel to the floor with that foot, but his left foot is also really flat (he has no problems with his left leg) so his walking/running/jumping isn't great to begin with. Wearing the shoes hasn't actually made any difference to his feet but it has helped prevent sores and supports his ankles much better when he walks. I think he will always be very flat footed, it's just going to be a case of him wearing supportive shoes for walking for him.
Hope the specialists are able to help you out, if you grew out of it there is every chance she will too.
Best of luck.
Just to let you know that I have flat feet (27 years old) and so does my dad and my brother (21). I'm a very active person, danced, skied, and I still play hockey. I've never had any problems with it. Same with my brother. The only thing, some shoes are uncomfortable. I don't even wear inserts (neither do my brother and father). As children (infants and todlers), we were within the norm, we walked before the age of 1. Try not to worry too much about it. Nothing may come of it.