Maternal & Child Community
My daughter is only 5 weeks old and only wants to sleep on her belly, H...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My daughter is only 5 weeks old and only wants to sleep on her belly, HELP!!!

My daughter is only 5 weeks old and only wants to sleep on her belly. She is almost 11 lbs. and can turn her head from side to side and can hold her head up on her own. How dangerous is this to let her sleep on her belly?? This is the only way she will sleep. She used to only sleep in her car seat but now she will actually sleep in her crib if it is on her belly. She will scream for HOURS on her back. Help, I need some sleep!!
Honestly they say you can put them on their stomachs once they can turn their heads and push themselves up. I'd check with the pediatrician just to feel good about it, but my godson has been sleeping on his stomach definitely since 11wks if not a little before... He came out a big strong bugger.
oh i'm sry. You said 5wks. Uhm... I would check with the pediatrician like I said and see what they say just to be safe.
you definitely want to check w/ your dr but my ds and dd were the same way.  The difference was when my dd was born it was ok to put them on their tummies (she is 17 now) and my ds is 9mths.  Supposedly it is a big no-no to put them on their tummies due to SIDS.  We left my son on his back in his crib until he was old enough to flip over himself b/c I was a worrier after the MC.  When he napped and I was around to watch him, I layed him on his belly.  Your dr will give you the best answer but in the end you have to do what you feel is right in your heart.  :)
My 8 week old sleaps best on her belly when I am holding her.  TO get her to sleap in her back, we have to bundle her like a soft taco.  It appears that she does not flail her arms and body as much when she is on her belly.  Bundling her up keeps her from flailing.
Have you tried to bundle her?  I mean really bundle her?  If not, let me know how it works please.
I had the same problem with my son. I"d bundle him soo tight and he's still wiggle out.  By about 8 weeks we gave in and let him sleep on his tummy.  he could turn his head though and lift it up and all of that..but we still worried and checked on him several times/ night
I let my second child sleep on his tummy--that was the only way he would sleep also.  He was not a car seat sleeper, so I couldn't prop him that way.  I told my ped. and he did not say anything to me--so I kept him that way--that was when he was 6 weeks old
I tried bundling her when she is on her back and that doesn't seem to help. She is really strong, she was 9lbs 2oz when she was born and now she is almost 11 lbs.  Thanks for your help. I wish it was safe to let her sleep on her back!
My son is currently 3 weeks and 3 days old and has been sleeping on his stomach since 2 weeks old. He will not sleep on his back and it was the only way other than holding him that we both would get some sleep. He can turn his head left and right and also raise his upper body. He also pushes himself into all sort of positions besides the one that I put him to sleep in. The first 4 days I was scared, but I laid next to him and watched him to make sure he didn't suffocate himself. Now he can be left unattended, but the monitor lets me know when he is turning his head because he grunts, and I check on him to make sure he is ok. I think it is about personal choice, especially if that is the only way the baby would sleep. Just monitor her really closely.
Our babies were close to the same birth weight.  She was 9 lbs even and 21 3/4 inches long.  She keeps busting her feet out but I try to keep her arms secure.  Some babies just do not like sleaping on their backs though.  Good luck.
SIDS has been reduced by over 50% since they started recommending putting them only on their backs to sleep. Wouldn't you feel terrible if something happened, God forbid, and she was on her stomach because you wanted her to sleep longer?

My daughter fought her way out of receiving blankets too, and then felt uncomfortable on her back. I suffered through it, and just kept re-wrapping her, with 2 blankets, 1 tucked in the front and 1 tucked in the back. that usually held for a couple of hours. Then by the time I had my next baby they came out with those wedge sleeper support things, it's got two pads attached to each other and you put the baby on their side in between them with the pads under their arms and it helps them feel secure. That worked like magic for him.

Now I've seen they have these swaddling blankets that actually close, with snaps or velcro. I'd like to see a baby fight their way out of that!

Good luck, hang in there. This too shall pass! :)
http://www.dynamic-living.com/wireless_baby_monitor.htm
I thought the wedge sleepers were unsafe as well.  Am I wrong?  Also do they not suggest you use bumpers either.  It is the hot months how in the world do you snug up your baby in the hot months.  
I read that the wedges are safe as long as they are positioned beneath their arms, near their waists. I would assume it's safer than putting them on their bellies.

I heard the same thing about bumber pads, it's got something to do with restricting the air flow. I won't be using them this time...

my 1st two were born in july and august, it's called an air conditioner. if I keep the room cool enough to be comfortable for me, they need to be wrapped up anyway...
It is not that I want her to sleep longer, she won't sleep at all. She will literally scream for hours.  I am wondering if she has reflux, but the doctor said probably not if she doesn't spit up alot.  I have a sleep positioner and that didn't help. In fact I think it was more dangerous if anything because she can wiggle out of it.
SIDS is the risk if sleeping on the tummy as I am sure you know. If you decide to let her sleep on her tummy I would invest in an 'Angel monitor', they have a pad that you slip under the mattress. It is basically an Apnea monitor so an alarm will sound if baby doesn't make breathing motions.
Do you know where I can buy the monitor??  Thanks!
Here is an opinion the SIDS idea--I think there are a lot less SIDS deaths becasue they can now determine what is the real cause.  They are finding out more and more babies have problems than they new about in the past and that is why the death rate of SIDS has gone down.  If you talk with your peditrician and explain that baby will not sleep any other way--they will probably tell you to let them sleep that way.  I know that was the only way my little guy would sleep.  To this day he prefers to sleep on his tummy--unless he is sleeping with his brother.
where can you buy these wedges?  I don't recall seeing anything like that - I really wasn't looking either.  I do have air but live with my parents who are "older" and they don't like it as cool as I would keep it, but I got a plan for that - I just close their vents in their rooms and so they can be hot :-)  

babys r us has the wedges. They're wonderful. When my kids were younger, I would roll up two receiving blankets, place one in front and one in back to keep my babies in the sidelying position. It was the only way that they would sleep. Try bundling with blankets,too. Later, when they were older and able to move about more, they chose to sleep on their tummies. Best wishes.
Thanks - I will go out looking this weekend!!  So many things to consider now.  When I had my daughter almost now 12 years ago - I had bumpers, blankets, plastic bottles, and never thought of SIDS.  Now there is so much to consider.
I tried that swaddley thingie.  She looks so unconfortable.  Anyway, she found her way out of it.  I peeped in after a couple hours and one of her hands was by her head.  I truely had to giggle.  I have no idea how she managed it.
Thank you!