Maternal & Child Community
My husband has herpes and I don't!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My husband has herpes and I don't!

I have been married to my husband for 2 years now and we have been together for almost 4 years.  Anyway, he was honest with me from the beginning letting me know he has herpes.  Does anyone else have a partner with an STD and you don't?  I am 6 weeks pregnant and I don't want to catch it now more than ever.  Should I be worried?  He is in really good health and the whole time that we have been together he has never had an outbreak.  I would not even know what to expect.  He did however pass the STD on to his previous partner:(  Any comments will help!
having no outbreak doesnt mean anything, he still has the virus, I do know that if God forbids you get it too, best bet for you is to have a c section not a vaginal delivery, just to be sure the baby doesnt get it, other than that the baby wont have it even if you do, good luck to you
Let me start off by saying you are a wonderful person for accepting your husband as he was and not judging him by what he have.

I'm sure that since your husband told you about his STD that you both @ some point discussed how to prevent you from getting it. (If not research it) While your pregnant use the same precautions unless your DR tells you other wise. When you seen your OBGYN i'm sure you told him about this and will use whats best for you & your family.

I've know people who do have herbes, like your husband have'nt had an outbreak in years, and had a vaginal delivery. What happens is, when you get to your weekly appointments your DR will start checking your cervix and see if you have any herpes blisters. If you do he will give you treatment for it and will poss discuss c section at that time.  

Your DR is just as concern about your problem while your pregnant so listen him and do research on how to pevent you from getting it. It may not seem like he's giving you much hope but i know some people who had your problem and have healthy children.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Your dr. will tell you... the only reason you will not have a normal vaginal delivery is if you did catch the virus, PLUS had open, unscabbed sores.  As far as sex, you can continue safely by using condoms thru the pregnancy UNLESS he has open sores (doesn't sound likely) in which case you should abstain. Herpes virus lies dormant in your spine, so he may never have an outbreak again. I also have had one initial (awful) outbreak and never another. This was of no concern thruout my pregnancy and we only had to make sure there were no sores close to delivery date.
I have not had a doctors appointment yet.  This is a very important issue for mine and my baby's sake!  It should be interesting what the doctor tells me next week about this matter...  Meanwhile, I am afraid to have sex with me husband:(
make sure you go see a doc. odds are that u might have it just by simply being pregnant by him and if so, now it's time to protect the baby. my respects to him for being honest with you, and for you to see beyond that disease. my sis has herpes and she was NOT allowed to have a vaginal delivery because they needed to keep the baby safe. your baby will be without herpes as long as you follow your docs advice. best of luck to you, your husband and future baby.
Could I have this STD and have no signs or symptoms?  I hear that it can be serious if you have an outbreak during your pregnancy and more than likely I will because of the added stress on my body.  This is a hard subject to talk to people about on the outside because people automatically judge.  It is encouraging that your sister had a healthy baby.
Yes you can be carrying the virus and have no signs or outbreak but I do know that some things can trigger it, like rough sex or when your immune system is weak due to any illness or fever, oral sex too can trigger it, just research it and talk to your Dr when you see him.
I have a girlfriend that has herpes as well. She has never had an outbreak. She only found out through blood work when she was pregnant. The doctor had her on Valtrex the last month of pregnancy just in case she had one. She didn't and the baby was fine. Hope this helps!
I was in the same position as you years back-  when my husband and I started to date he told me he had Herpes.  It was difficult for him to tell me,  but I respected him so much for telling me before he and I did anything-  we managed to be careful enough for me not to get it for about 2 years or so-  but even with our saftly measures, which we did slack on a little once we decided we'd be spending our life together, I did eventually contract it-  I don't have very many outbreaks, but with my DD and with this pregnancy my doctor said they would start to give me medication to prevent any breakouts incase I had some sort of emergency delivery and it was vaginal-  but you are not suppose to give birth vaginally if you have an outbreak-  that is the only real thing to worry about...  I had to have a c-section anyway,  so it made me feel better about it-  they will take safety measures to make sure you don't do anything to harm the baby, even if you do get it...  try not to worry too much about it-  it really isn't too big of a problem!  Good luck!!  
My doctor is going to give me a medication around 36 weeks just in case I have the virus and have no symptoms.  She also says that I will be able to have a normal vaginal birth and c-section is not my only option.  I am still worried and it still sucks!  
I am in a situation where someone who I love , told me they have herpes a few months ago as we were going to date.

I love him and want to do it but I am very concerned about contracting it and protecting our child.

Was it easy for you guys to look pass herpes or become comfortable with taking the risk of contracting the virus?