Maternal & Child Community
My husband smokes weed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My husband smokes weed

My husband smokes weed like all day long and I am pregnant.  My hcg levels are going up but very slowly, could him smoking weed be a factor?
i doubt it. though its still not healthy for him to smoke weed around you while you are pregnant muchless in the house.
I doubt it too.
my husband also smokes pot. i had a baby in january. he NEVER smokes pot in the house or around me or the baby and i was ok. i had a great pregnancy and my son is very healthy. just don't be around him if and when he smokes. same goes for cigarettes too, which im sure you know.
Avatar n tn
Oh no I'm sorry, I didnt mean he smokes around me, there is no smoking in our home.  We have an 8 month old daughter, but I just wondered if maybe his sperm was - well, a little slow. lol Could it cause hcg levels to rise slower?
haha. i dunno. i don't think so. we didn't have any problems but im no expert.
No, the sperm has already done it's work. It's attaching and growing. Are you having other symptoms or why have they been doing the hcg levels?
No, his weed smoking isn't the cause of a possible miscarriage.
However, if you have a husband who continues to do something illegal and threaten your home because of it, one might say it's not the sperm that is the problem.
Let me clarify.  I don't care if some adult guy goes ahead and smokes weed every day.  I hate it when the woman and the children are at the receiving end of his irresponsibility.  It might or might not be a damaging drug (apparently is not so damaging as tobacco) but it sure as heck is illegal, and theoretically he is being a good grown-up and taking responsibility for being a daddy who is there, who is stable, who is serious about being a role model for his children.  Sorry to sound rude if I did.  If it were legal that would be another matter altogether.  But consistently doing something that is not legal is Russian roulette.
Well done. And of course it has been said that the quality of the sperm can cause issues later in life for the child that is the product of that sperm. Developmental delays could be a possibility. I have a hard time believing that the effects of marijuana are less impactful than those of nicotine, though it is amazing that others will argue that to the death.

I don't think you came off as rude, brooke. I think you made a valid point. I am baffled as to anyone who sees nothing wrong with being with someone who does that as if it like drinking water or eating cookies.
Honestly,  if the father of the baby smokes a lot of weed,  the chances of a blighted ovum are very high.   Marijuana disables sperm and the possibility that  a sperm that isn't viable penetrated the egg is a real possibility.

I forgot to add that in cases of blighted ovums, sometimes the quality of the sperm is to blame for the embryo not developing. So if this does turn out to be the case, it could very well have been related to his marijuana use.

My two older step brothers both battled learning disabilities. The one constant thing: their dad was a heavy pot smoker. My step mother didn't see anything wrong with his use, it was the 70's after all and while she didn't partake in it, she didn't put her foot down until after the boys were born. It has always bothered her that she may have allowed her boys to have been affected by their dad's marijuana use at conception. She left him and married my dad. When my brothers were 8 and 11, their dad was found dead in a park, he had gotten so stoned he passed out sitting up on a park bench, his head fell forward and he asphyxiated. No one can ever tell me marijuana is harmless.
Too funny, we must have posted at the same time!
Avatar n tn
I have had a blighted ovum once before with him, and 2 other miscarriages.  And just for the record, the one and ONLY reason I stayed with him is because he quit everything for 5 years.  Now we have a beautiful 8 month old daughter and he started back up when I got pregnant.  That was the only successful pregnancy I had is when I got pregnant when he was sober.  Our marriage is now deteriorating because of his addiction and I dont want my daughter to grow up like this.  He is an addict and is going to jail tomorrow which gives me alot of time to think and plan my next move.  
Good luck, tianna.  I mean it sincerely.  (((HUGS)))  Annie
Avatar n tn
Thank you so much!!
I am glad you have some time to figure out the best thing for you and your children, having them around someone doing drugs cannot be the best start in life for them. You and your children deserve better, go out and find that for yourself whilst you have the chance.
Good luck!
Good luck in everything, better without him than with an addict.