Maternal & Child Community
My sisters blood pressure 180/118

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My sisters blood pressure 180/118

My sister just called and her blood pressure is 180/118.  We had checked it at Wal-Mart today and it was 155/108 and all of a sudden it did a great leap within an hour.  She just found out she is pregnant.  This happened to her in her last pregnancy as well.  She is obese and had Gestational Diabetes with her last pregnancy.  Could her sugar level affect her blood pressure.  I am sorry if that question sounds dumb.  We ate out at a burger place today and she had the same thing I did.. a half pound bacon cheese burger with fries.  Yikes!!  I know this contributed!  We took her blood pressure like 45 minutes after eating and then an hour later at home.  I feel so bad for her.  My mom is taking her to the hospital right now.  What kind of effect will this have on the baby or is it too early.  I think she is somewhere around 6 weeks... her last LMP was 11/04.

My gosh this scares me.
Yes diabetes can affect your blood pressure.  I have high blood pressure but mine is controlled through meds and yes I am PG.  I also just found out I have GD.

She will definitely have to change her diet if she wants to have a happy/healthy pregnancy for her and the baby.

BTW, that blood pressure is WAY dangerous!!!  It's stroke level.
Really?!?!  She looked like she was going to faint in WalMart and her face was beat red... I thought it was the heat because it reached 80 degrees here today.  

She has her first OB appointment scheduled for tomorrow.  I feel just horrible that I kept her out but she kept saying she would be OK.  I did not let her drive, which now I know was a good thing!
I hope your sister and baby will be ok.   She is definately going to have to eat healthier if she wants to control the blood pressure and gestational diabetes (if she gets it this time)
I don't understand women who eat like that and then order a diet Coke, but she does it all the time.  She ate the entire burger and I ate half of mine.  I guess maybe I need to start ordering salads when we go out to lunch together and maybe she will do the same.  Just last night though she was talking to me about getting on track with her sugar intake, this was while she was cooking a pan of brownies  =(.  Because she was so sick, and had to take insulin shots through her entire first pregnacy, she lost 33 pounds and was as small as I have ever seen her when the baby was born.

Honey, I just got home and I'm so sorry!  Try not to worry too, too much.  When I first found out I was preggo with this baby my b/p was superhigh to.  Mine ran about 188/109 and my heart rate is always above 115.  They asked me to take my blood pressure at home daily.  I did this for about a month.  They told me if it got over 170/80 to call them.  Then they would tell me to lay on my left side for 30 - 45 min. and retake it...also to keep hydrated.  They really did not want to put me on anything in the first trimester if they did not have to.  I did this for a month, then my blood pressure went back naturally.  At this point I do not have to take anything, but I do have to keep a eye on it.  Its hard to do, but try not to take the bloodpress over and over... I was to the point just looking at it stressed me out.  Its a good thing she is going to the er.  I hope everything is ok..let me know ok?  : )
When I was pregnant, my doc told me he would do a c-section the moment my blood pressure hit 160/110. But I was also 27 weeks along....!!! Normally blood pressure does not get high until after the 20 week mark so she definatly needs to get seen!!!
i think it was probably the sodium in the fast food rather than the sugar that made her bp skyrocket. regardless of the cause, that number is way too dangerous, especially so early on. it's only likely to get higher. let us know what happened at the hospital. perhaps this scare will help her change her diet.
Ok yes that is pretty damn high. She should of prob went to the e.r. especially being pregnant. My bp was always high i had "white coat syndrome" But my bottom no. never went above 90.
She got to the ER and her blood pressure was 175/98 an hour later they said her blood pressure was 121/55 which she says it has NEVER been this low... after sitting there for 2 hours they did the KGC or KCG???  not sure which order that goes in, anyway that checked out ok "so they say".  She got home and my mom checked it (mom is an LPN) and it was 178/98.  My sister said she didn't feel that the arm wrap was tight enough at the hospital but SHE DID NOT SAY ANYTHING!!!!   She figured the nurse knew what she was doing... so she went home.  Now, she is going out to go to Duke Hospital.  I just don't know what to think.  She called her OB and they are working her in at 8AM tomorrow morning.  The doctor at the hospital told her she needed to follow a strict no fat, low sodium diet.  

I do hope this scare has made her determined to eat better!!
I hope she gets better..they will prob put her on medications to lower it, i know my obgyn warned me a few times i might have to be on something. Update us.
If the cuff at the hospital was an obese cuff, it will be more accurate with her. As you said she was obese. Regular cuffs are much too tight on some people and they register a false high. She definitely needs to keep a check with it, but bear in mind that cuff size can make a difference.  There are other ways of checking for problems, too. Like blood chemistries. Hope everything works out ok for her and the baby.
Another hint....I was at one of the top 5 hospitals in the country for maternal fetal medicine, and they said ALWAYS have it taken on the left arm and in the sitting position! The docs say it is most accurate.