Maternal & Child Community
My son and his wife had a miscarriage....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My son and his wife have a daughter who just turned 3 years and they wanted to have another to round out their family.  My daughter in law was about 2-3 months in her pregnancy and everything was good.....as they thought.  They went to the doctor on Monday and the doctor informed that the baby had ceased to grow for about 5 weeks now, my son said something about not attaching to placenta. It's still not clear to me.  They went Tues to get the procedure to get the fetus out.  This is very hard for me to even to write about it because I am so sad.  She had alot of bleeding during the procuedure.  I dont know all the details, but I do know is one thing lead to another and they took the uterus out.  I am still shocked at that news and I am at a loss and so sad for those young kids knowing that they cant have more kids.  I am asking...  Why did  they take her uterus...??   My son is the one who came over to give me the news and I didnt want to press the subject.  I am just numb at this point.

cindigal
From your post,  cindigal,  it's hard to know what happened in surgery.  Sounds so sad.

A lot of couples have only one child,  and they have joyful happy lives.  

I don't think anyone here could answer the medical question about why they had to remove her uterus.    I think at your daughter in laws's post surgical check,  they will tell her in detail what happened.

Thank God she is alive, and they are a family of 3.

Best wishes.

I'd imagine she hemorrhaged during the procedure (based on that you said she bled a lot) and I've read that if these complications arise they perform a hysterectomy to save the mother. It's possible something could have been perforated or there was too much damage. We can only give guesses. Only the performing doctors will be able to answer any of your questions. It's hard to accept that they won't be able to conceive again without a surrogate, but at least their child still has the mother.
did they have the husband permission to take her uterus out, was she awake when the decision was made? Im so sorry i know how she must feel i had that procedure done on me almost 3 years ago its a very empty feeling like someone stole some part of your body in your sleep....i miss my baby and that important part they took from me..i had lot of bleeding to i lost the follopian tube on the right, i thing they should have gave her a chance and maybe a couple of years down the road after healing she should have tried again...Im so sorry...that you and your family is going through so much..all you can do is be there for her now...i wish i had someone with me when i went through that.