Maternal & Child Community
My update!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My update!

Well, it has been a while for me since I visited this site.
I had a beautiful baby girl and named her Valetina Grace.
I wanted to ask a question? I breastfeed her and it seems that I can't fill her up and she also has severe colic. I cannot put her down because she is screamimg in pain constantly. She is screaming as I am writting this. I told my Dr and she did not tell me anything. I give her mylicon drops and they are not doing a thing. I am not complaining but I can't do anything for me either. I can't even go to the bathroom without feeling gulity that she is sreaming. I have no one to help me. My house is a wreck because I am constantly holding her. I have baby equipment that I have tried to put her in and she screams blood murder. I have tried supplementing formula also and nothing is working. I am exausted. HEELLPPP!!!. My husband is at work all day. No I understand why women get severly depressed. I need consoling.
have you tried holding her with her belly over you forearm. this puts a little pressure on the belly are and may help. ALso have you tried changing your diet a little. I had a colic baby I knw how frustrating it can be.
First off ...Congrats...I love your baby girls name.  Im sorry that things are so stressful for you right now, with the colic and all.  Im sure you are not getting lots of sleep.  
Heres some info:
http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/newborn/newbornproblems/colic.html

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/breastfeeding/guide/colic.html

You may want to look into a new Dr if your Dr is not giving you any answers.  Especially to rule out that this colic is caused by alergies (allergies) or reflux.  The website did give some tips on what to do when the baby is screaming...like swaddling etc.  Do you have any family near by?  Someone that would watch the baby just for a little while so you could rest and get some quiet time?
have you checked if she's lactose intolerant? some babies cant take milk & are put on a soy milk... it gives them tummy aches to drink regular formula...just a thought....
A family member tried formula for colicky baby and it worked like magic for her.  It's very expensive but worth it.  I am sorry that I forgot the brand.
I doubt it's that you can't fill her up.  Breastfed babies eat as much as they want and don't get as much gas/indigestion/hard stools/constipation as formula-fed babies.  You did't say how old she was?  It is true unfortunately that some babies get colicky for like 4-6 weeks, starting around 4 weeks.  It's not food, it's not you, it's like their thing that they do. Mine luckily only did it around 530-830 pm for maybe a month, we called it the witching hour.  Some really do just cry.  Try to get someone to help you have little breaks if she really does cry so much, a neighborhood girl to walk her in the stroller (even if she's crying) or someone to sit in withher and YOU go for a walk.  You didn't say if she stops crying when you hold her? Maybe a sling would help then.  Best of luck to you!
She could be allergic to something.  She could have reflux.  Or she could just be a high needs baby.  It's very unfortunate for all involved that she has colic.  I hope she outgrows it quickly and that it isn't something else like allergies or reflux.

This just may be her personality.  She may just be a high needs baby.  She may grow out of it or it may be to a lesser degree later on.  I'm sure her colic is not helping her.  Think about what you want when you are not feeling well.  Babies get very clingy when they are sick.

I would change doctors though.  Your doctor should be checking to make sure it isn't reflux.  You may also want to try cutting things out of your diet.  She may be allergic to dairy (most children will outgrow this allergy) or something else.  I would try cutting out all dairy for a couple of weeks and seeing if that makes a difference. That's a really common allergy, which is why I suggested it.  

Good luck.  If it is colic she'll probably outgrow it soon.
Aww...I'm sorry you're not getting much rest.  I'm sure your beautiful DD is not enjoying this either.  My sister had to avoid eating certain things that can cause gas in order to help her DD.  She also did a lot of massaging of her tummy and held her on her knees with the baby's belly down to help gases escape.  She found that putting a warm towel over the baby's belly helped eliviate those tummy aches (make sure that you don't put the towel on her baby skin but rather over some clothing to prevent any skin burns or uncomfy feeling).  Lots of luck to you.  They say that it takes about 3 mos for the baby to adjust to the outside world and food.  Sorry that sounds like a long time but it'll pass, hang in there.  Others suggested looking into some formulas, that might help as well.  Good luck to you.
My DD is 4 weeks old but this started the day I brought her home from the hospital. She was screaming and I could tell she had severe gas. She would jerk her legs and scream and you could hear her pass gas. I have tried a stroler to push in the house and that didn't work. I have to be holding her up right at all times. I even go to sleep most of the time with her on my chest. My husband sleeps upstairs so he can get rest for work in the morning.
When she eats, she does not spit up food. She does not have to wear a bib but the pain stays in. I do not have a swing. I went today and bought a baby holder that is up against your body. I will use it tomorrow. She will not use a pacifier. She gags with it. I will check out that wesite that Cugirl sugessted. I am at my wits end. She doesn't get rest either. I have never heard of a newborn that does not get rest. She doesn't sleep during the day. My family all work full time during the week. On the weekends, I have help. It is hard for me. I have a 13 and a 10 year old and my wonderful husband that I care for. They expect me to have to house clean and dinner cooked and I can't do neither. I wish I had help but I don't.
Another suggestion that I read in a Parents magazine is to place those warm microwavable bags onto her tummy for comfort.  You know the bags that are filled with buckwheat and you put them into the microwave to warm and used for sore muscles?  Don't put the bag straight to her bare tummy but roll it onto a towel and place it gently onto her tummy.  You can place her lying on her side and have the heat bag touch her tummy.  The heat holds well in those bags and it alleviates tummy aches. Let me know if that helps.
it may help or not with you being able to access your way around the house..u can where one of those backpack baby carriers....?? the one that goes infront of you.
Try to brr her more often and the formula for colick is called NUTRAMIGEN it has gotten awsome reviews. This is just a thought and you might be doing it anyways but when you BF leave her on that side for as long as she wants to. Maybe she just wants more or just wants mom. Some say use a pacifier, but am not sure never tried it. sorry.
Check on the reflux, my ds had it & hardly ever threwup, w/ him he just wanted to eat all the time to sooth his throat so this made him get his tum too full so then it hurt. The DR gave us prevacid (SP) it's expensive but wked great & I had him off of it in several monthes.

Also my ds was very extra clingy (SP) so I bought one of those carriers you strap to you (at walmart)& was able to get some things done around the house. :)
It sounds like she might have acid reflux. That is what my son had and he couldn't stop screaming too.  Initially I thought it was because he wasn't getting enough milk from the breastfeeding so I kept feeding him more everytime he cried but that just causes the reflux to get worse.  Acid reflux is like heartburn for babies and if you eat more it gets worse.  You might want to try a pacifier to satisfy her desire to suck and it also gives your poor nipples a break.  The doc told us to interval at least 2-3 hours between each feed and that really helped a lot.  Have you used the swing?  That was worked like a miracle for us the one where it swings side to side vs back and forth.   Can you put her into a baby bjorn and go for a walk or even just around the house?  Sometimes you really just need to get a break from it all I know I did, don't feel guilty about that.  Even just for a couple of minutes and if you have to let her cry in a safe place and you walk into another room and give yourself some time its ok the baby won't be harmed from crying.  By you getting a recharge it is good for you and the baby.  I would really go see the doc again and see if she has reflux because I got medicine for my son for that and it improved the crying.  Good luck and know we are all here for you!
Have you ever heard of Hyland's Colic tablets?  You can get them at any drug store and they are like 5 bucks.  I had a friend suggest them to me.  My DD has colic on and off and I give her Mylicon every feeding and this worked most of the time.  So I decided to try the tablets and they work great!  My friend's DD was the same way except for she had colic really bad and screamed all the time like you are explaining about your child.  I have put the website on here that I found the tablets on after I did some research.  I would try them just to see if they will help ease her stomach.  Anything is worth a try!  Good luck!
This is the website and it has other remedies too that you might want to look into:
http://www.colichelp.com/shop/index.html

This is the same website but leads directly to the tablets so when you go to the store you know exactly what to look for:
http://www.colichelp.com/shop/hylandscolictablets.html

I would read the parents reviews on the tablets....that is why I decided to try them!
First I have to say I can relate, and if it helps it will get better!  It sounds like your dd has a worse case then mine, but maybe I can share what I learned and what my Dr said.  My dd would start screaming at 6 everyday on the nose.  She wouldn't stop until she cried herself to sleep at 11 or so.  It was the hardest and longest 5 hours everyday until she was 10 weeks old.  Then I finally had a breakdown in the ped's drs. office.  She said your baby may have gas, but if your holding her all the time and allowing her to sleep on your chest she isn't getting enough rem sleep.  Now she has gas and is overly tired.  Give her the mylcon drops a couple of times and comfort her for a while.  (Also, holding her over the arm aplying preasure to her belly helps too)  When it's time for a scheduled nap or bed put her in her crib.  Let her cry.... it's okay!  Don't let her cry for more than an hour.  My DH and I were freaking out.  She said the worst that can happen is she gets sick in the crib.  Change the sheets and comfort her for a few minutes and put her back in.  We thought this Dr was crazy.  I have to tell you within a week.......................Life was much better.  She cried still some, but nothing like before.  Less than 30 minutes.  We couldn't stand to hear her cry like that, so we had to turn the monitor down.  Trade off going outside for walk etc... But I have to say it changed our lives. We don't think that DR is so crazy anymore!   Good Luck ... hope this helps!
Thank you so much for all of your advice. I will see what works with her.
Suni