Wanted to get any insight, I have had 2 prior mcs, and I am currently at 19 wks, everything has gone wonderfully until earlier this week when my ultrasound came back with a "spot" on my baby's left ventricle, my AFP came back negative, but after my consultation with a genetics counselor she said that the test may be positive due to my baby's size on the ultrasound, but I know exactly what day I conceived because of my ovulation predictor, so I think they are wrong about that...now they are telling me that I have a 1% chance of having a baby with downs syndrome...I just turned 32 last week and both my husband and I are very healthy. I'm going in for an amnio on Monday morning, but I am so stressed, I cant eat, think, anything. Has anyone else gone through similar? How concerned should I be? Any insight would be appreciated..I have to wait 2-3 weeks for the results, and I am a serious basketcase!
I would not take the chances with the amino. What would you do if the amino came back and said that the baby had downs? Would you terminate? I turned down all testing too. No test result would change the way I feel about my child. If I was you, don't get the test done. There are to many risks. Just think if you were to have this test done and something happened to the baby during the test, what would you do then? I am not trying to be harsh or anything, just really think about it before you have it done.
I have very recently had this conversation witha friend and she was certain she would have the amnio and thus abort if it was downs. I said I wouldnt have the amnio as I would want to love and bring up my child downs or no downs. I have the advantage to having worked for a large proportion of my working life with disabled people and know how great they can be some much kinder and more loving than 'normal' human beings!! Good luck in whcih ever path you choose.
as a matter of fact, I used to work in special ed, and was going to choose that as a career path, so I know in my heart that I would want to keep the child no matter what, but my husband on the other hand, Im not sure that he would be able to handle it at ALL, and I feel the same about my parents, they are great people, but not the strongest support system when it comes to something like this, so the reason why I will decide on the amnio is because I would rather know and have a little time to really discuss it with my family and decide what the best choice is for everyone. I cant believe all of this stress over 1%, I honestly wish I wouldnt have gotten the tests now :(
Please don't feel as though you need to justify your own personal choice - that of having an amniocentisis. And certainly any decision you will based on results, is a very personal decision that you are entitled to make privately.
As far as your question, that is - your anxiety about the amnio: yes, there is a risk of miscarriage, but it is very small. I know numerous women who have had it, sometimes with more than one pregnancy. All have said it is not painful or frightening, just a weird feeling when the needle goes in, and to see it on the screen - maybe a little uncomfortable.
If you chose to have the test, it will buy you piece of mind and that's worth a lot while you're struggling through pregnancy.
I am 14 weeks and I am supposed to have the spina bifida (sp?) and AFP tests at 16 weeks. DH and I decided that we would skip the test for Downs because we wouldn't terminate either way. However, we want to have the other test done, just because I have seen some cases where the baby has to go straight to surgery if they have spina bifida. What do you guys think? Any advice? Should I skip both tests? I wish you all the best! Shannon
hi everyone this may be a stupid ques but i havent got my period since aug11 now is oct18 still no period took pg test two wednesdays ago (e.p.t)read negative had slight blood in pee for oneday what is wrong with me am i pregnant was it too soon for the pg test what should i do what test would give me a better read out
HPT read detect the level of the HCG hormone in your urine. The Hcg level is high enough in most women a day after their missed period. The Hcg level is meant to be between 5-200 miu by the 14th day after ovulation. Most hpt test at around 25miu/ml in the urine. Which ever way you look at it you should have recieved a positive result ona test by now if you were pregnant.
My advice..SEE A DOCTOR to put your mind at ease. Many things can cause missed periods.
Hope this is helpful.
Boy, that is a toughy! This is going to sound like a cop-out, but only you, your husband, and your doctor are the ones who can decide this! Your doctor knows your medical history, and you and your hubby are the ones who are going to have to deal with any problem that is or is not found.
Many women opt to not have the test. Most probably do have it. I don't think there is a right answer here. You do have a valid point about being prepared in advance (but the baby doesn't go right to surgery--takes a day or two). Spina bifida can often be detected by a level 2 ultrasound.
I can relate to your situation 100%. A few weeks ago my doc also found the white spots in my baby's left ventrical as well as in the baby's bowels. I didn't want to have the AFP but went ahead with it. I'm 33 and 18 weeks + right now. The AFP came back normal. I opted NOT to have the amnio because of the risk of miscarriage. I lost my 1st child last year to ruptured membranes at 18 weeks and didn't want to chance that happening again for a marker that shows such a low risk of association with Downs. I had another u/s yesterday and the spots are GONE!!!!!! Doc said that often happens between the 18-26th weeks. He also said many, many healthy babies have those echogenic spots that later disappear. He also said since my AFP came back ok the chances of me losing my baby to the amnio was greater than the risk of my baby having Downs. That was all the information I needed to hear. I know many women have amnios every day successfully but it was just too scary for me. I'm currently with a high risk practice for this pregnancy and really feel comfortable with the information they are giving me. If you'd like to chat more about this feel free to e-mail me at ***@****
Good luck and stay strong,
I am currently 29 weeks pregnant with my first and a couple of months ago the doc. said that my triple screen test came back positive for Trisomy 18 which is a fatal cromosomal (sp) disorder and sent me for genetic counseling and Level II U/S and/or Amnio test. The genetic counselor said we had a 1 in 55 % chance of our baby having this disorder and talked us into getting the amnio, which we did, and was not so bad (pain wise it hurt less than giving blood). But from the time the doc. told us this to the time we actually had the amnio done it was horrible. Very stressful and emotional. Turns out it was a false positive cuz the amnio showed the baby was very healthy with no problems. I would not trust the blood tests that are given to pregnant women now adays as they are mainly false positives and just scare us and make us stress over what turns out most of the time to be nothing. Good luck and let us know how the results turn out.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.