Maternal & Child Community
Nail Fungus caused by Acrylic Nails......................??????????????...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Nail Fungus caused by Acrylic Nails......................????????????????

okay, i know this if an OFF subject, but, i am a tad bit concerned. i have had acrylic nails on for about 5 years. i recently chewed them all off myself because i hate to pay $25 to have them professionally taken off. i noticed on my left hand, middle finger, that the nail is partially greenish-brown. is that fungus? that particular nail, when it had the acrylic on there a few weeks ago, it broke and i reglued it with super glue a few days later. is it possible that water got underneath and started a fungus? well, whetever it may be, should i go to the nail place to find out or the doctor??? is it possible that it is just a discoloration of the nail/nail bed?? tell me what to do ladies!!! aaaahhh i am freaking out!

sienna
I had that in the past with acrylic nails too.  You are exactly right, it's from water getting underneath.  It's fungus, (or at least I assume so.  

I didn't go to the doctor though.  I used the smoothing block to file it down and smooth it out and then let the nail grow out.  I think that's all you can do -- let the air get to it and file as much as you need and then wait.

Since you're taking prenatals, your nails should grow pretty fast.
SOUND LIKE NAIL FUNGUS TO ME ITS NOT SMART TO HAVE ACRYLIC NAILS ON FOR SO MANY YEARS U SHOULD LET UR NAILS BE FREE, GO TO UR DOCTOR THATS THE WISEST THING TO DO....HE MIGHT TELL U TO GIVE THOSE ACRYLIC NAILS A BREAK...LOL GOOD LUCK!!!!
I just had the same thing happen.  I filed it as much as I could and then it grew out.  I definitely sounds like a fungus.  My fiances mom is a nail tech and she told me what to do.  She also claims that if you put a little Vick's vapor rub under the tip of you nail, it will speed things up and help get rid of it.  She read it is some nail magazine she gets.  I tried it, not sure if it worked but it seemed to.  My grew out and now the nail is fine.  Afer I filed mine, she put another nail on over top of it (because I told her I could not live without it) and it still grew out fine.  I would make sure that the same thing doesn't happen to that one again if you do and check to make sure that there is no lifting on that one to make sure no more water gets under there.
I would definitly go to your doctor. Especially since you are pregnant you need to get that taken care of. I have always removed my acrylics when I have gotten pregnant. I would definitly give your nails a big long break.. Maybe another 8 months or so...lol..

Im sure it will be fine, doc will give you some antifungal...

Take Care... and let me know when you get your u/s
My best friend used to get her nails done all the time and I did my own and we both would get that after a nail broke and you glue it back on. I'm in Pa and we have a Sally's Beauty Supply store which was originaly for professionals but now anyone can buy from the store, anyway they have anti fungus brush on stuff that will also help. Though I do agree with everyone else do to pregnancy your immune system is lowered and so you should really go see a doctor about it so it doesn't get worse your harm the baby. Good Luck.
thanks everyone, i wore the acrylics thru my last pregnancy with my 2 year old son, but i think now is the time to give up old habits. thanks so very much for all the info!!! i love you guys!

msklar----i had an ultrasound last week, at 7 weeks 1 day. there was not that much to see. they did the 3d one and it was pretty neat though. i saw the arm and leg buds, and the blood flowing thru the yolk sac next to the baby. i probably will not get another one until around 20 weeks, i'll keep you updated none the less! by the way, how far along are you now?

pss-what ever happened to cinnamonheart? i haven't seen her at all lately? where is she?

have a stupendous day girlies!!!!!!!!!!!

sienna
Im 12w1d today.. extremely anxious for an u/s.. But not sure of the earliest we could tell the sex.... I know if it is a girl, that it would be harder to tell..

Thats great that you got to see so much detail. The two U/S's Ive had so far, the baby just looked like a blob..With a heartbeat..lol..
You should join one of the chat groups...
so you can stay in touch...
we are like exactly 4 weeks apart in our pregnancy. cool! as for the correct gestation to do an u/s to find out the sex of the baby, you should really wait until 20 weeks+. if you cannot wait that long, well you can try the tried and trusted "Drano test". my family has used this method to determine baby's sex for like 50 years. it has never been wrong for me with all the boys. but you need to wait until you are 14 weeks to do this.

directions:

1 regular size can of DRANO crystals (NOT LIQUID)
1 Cup of first morning urine
1 Measuring cup that you can thro out
1 Glass jar that you can thro out

Go OUTSIDE with the ingredients, put 4 ounces of drano crystals in the measuring cup and pour it into the glass jar. next, pour 4 ounces of first morning pee into measuring cup and pour into jar with drano. (pee and drano must be of exact equal amounts!!!!!!!!!) and get away, because it will steam like a volcano and not to mention smell grotesque!!!!

wait about 5-10 minutes ONCE THE STEAMING HAS STOPPED and look at the color of the remaining mixture.

if the color of mixture is TURQUOISE to BLUE-it's a BOY!!

if the color of mixture is a MURKY GREEN, MURKY YELLOW or BROWN you got a lil' girl!!!

seroiusly ladies, this is just for fun, but it really does work, some chemical that the baby gives off in your urine reacts with the crystals in the drano.

so if you do it let me know what he results are!

happy testing!

sienna

Ive been tempted to try that. But I know no matter what the results, I still won't beleive it...lol.. Im willing to do all the crazy things, but not willing to beleive them...lol