Maternal & Child Community
Nail Polish Remover while pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Nail Polish Remover while pregnancy

Just wondering, is the nail polish remover OKAY while pregnancy?  What about the color nail paint?
Avatar n tn
use the non-acetone kind and youre fine.  polish is ok too, since it doesn't really get on your skin much if at all.  but avoid getting acrylics done, as it uses a LOT of acetone, which is absorbed directly thru your skin.
I used the cheap glue on kind while I was PG since I couldn't have the professional ones.  
i don't think that nail polish and/or nail polish remover is a problem. i would avoid going to a salon though, because of all the fumes.
Or go to a salon where they only do one appointment in the room at a time.  Like a hair place that has a nail tech that does them on timed appointments.  the places in the malls need to be busy at all times to make a living.
Avatar n tn
I am a nail-tech, did it through two of my pregnancies.  Both children are fine.  I used acetone and acrylic and my Dr. said it was OK.  So i have to say from experience, not a DR though, it is safe.  The problem with having your nails done, such as anything artificial is that they may not stay on due to change in hormones.  Same with coloring your hair, the hormaonal changes can affect the way the product reacts, buf as far as harm to the baby, it is not bad.
Avatar n tn
also i worked in a salon that was very busy and i had a huge clientel.  We had about 15 nail techs and 30 hair dressers.  My  children are 10 and 15 months and have no problems.
Avatar n tn
WOW, thank you so much for all the responses, I really appreicate that.  I'm gonna do it, anyway.  Wish you have a Happy Mother's Day!