Maternal & Child Community
Nails not growing much all of a sudden

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Nails not growing much all of a sudden

I used to have to cut my 4.5yr old's nails every week, without fail. All of a sudden, they dont seem to be growing much. I remember reading that it might be due to some deficiencies. I asked him if he has been biting them and he says he has not. Although I have noticed that he seems to put his fingers in his mouth- perhaps its the saliva? Does anyone have any experience on this? And if so, could you please let me know what I can do. Thanks!
Avatar n tn
I'm not a doctor, but I wouldn't worry about the nails not growing as fast. All of my kids nails grew fast at first too, but the older they get, the less I need to cut them. Could be , and just guessing here, that a babies nails are thiner then a childs, maybe they are getting thicker instead of longer. Also, as a small child, the nails might not get worn down but when they get bigger and play with thier hands more, the nails could just be wearing down on thier own. Example, hubby nails are thick (lucky!!!) and healthy, but sense he works with his hands, they get worn down and he doesn't have to cut them that often.
I hope this helps. And please remeber, I'm not a doctor and these are just my guesses on this subject. Take care, Rhealene
I have noticed my 4 and half year old daughter's nails are not growing very fast either at the moment and she is not biting them.  I used to have to cut them once a week but now it can go over two weeks before any nail starts to grow a bit.  The skin before her nail does appear a bit dark and bumby, but I've shown it to a doctor and he didn't think anything of it.  I'm not satisfied that all is fine yet, so I give her fish oil omega 3 and a multi vit and mineral dose every day just in case it is a deficiency.

Let me know what you find out please and I will do the same.

Take care
Ruby
I had the same problem with my son he is 6 years old and the skin around his nail was dark and bumby nail specially the thumb. After the doctor did blood work, my son had a iron deficiency so he stayed on  100% iron drop for 3 month and now his nail is better