Maternal & Child Community
Narcotics while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Narcotics while pregnant

I am almost 30 weeks pregnant, throught my pregnancy i have been taking painkillers such as vicodin, percocet, and morphine.  I dont think i am addicted to them becuz of the fact that when the pills are not around i dont go looking for them and i dont have to take them, but when they are around my household i dont have the will power not to take them. When i do take pills i never take more than 4 a day and never for longer than a couple days.  I have never told any of my doctors about my taking pills while pregnant, becuz i am afraid they might put me on methodone which is worse and will cause an addiction.  I am afraid that my child might be harmed can anyone give me any advice.
Talk to your doctor.  Explain what you have done, and your concerns about methadone.  I believe they will be able to help you and will not harm you in any way (i.e., they will not "force" you to go on methadone and will clarify your fears about it being able to  "cause an addiction.")  Working on this in partnership with a doctor right now is the only way to be safe for your child.  If you really can get by without taking them if they are not available, that will be the key for you weaning off before the baby is born.  You do not want the baby to be born having to go through withdrawal.
I agree with AnnieBrooke - it is VERY important (VITAL) that you discuss this with your OBGYN.  

You have been taking Class D drugs which are known to harm a developing baby.  Because of this it is important that your OBGYN is made aware of this so your baby can be monitored appropriately and any special neonatal care that may be required can be arranged.
i agree with the previous posters about speaking to your doctor. I am also concerned that these pills keep ended up back in your house. you ARE addicted if you cannot control your urge to take them. you ARE addicted if that urge to take them overpowers your urge to protect your child. you seem to be in denial. I would seek counceling as well to help you through these final weeks of pregnancy. And whoever is making these pills accessible to you needs to either become your ally and HELP you or needs to be out of the picture. If you have the strength to not seek them out when they are not around, then with some support you may be able to make it through the next 10 weeks without taking any. Good luck, and please speak to your doctor.
come on, are you freeking kidding me, 30 weeks pregnant and just now you are concerned.further more , you dont go looking for them but if they are in your house hold you take them, who brings them the narcotics fairy.. sorry to be so blunt but.....
Lady, Please stop taking the drugs and please tell your Dr. ASAP.

There are concerns about the effects of narcotics on a developing fetus. Research has not been done in humans, but some of the drugs (morphine, hydrocodone, and hydromorphone, but not codeine) have caused birth defects in animals.

Although they have not been implicated in causing birth defects in humans, narcotics do make the fetus become drug dependent.
(In addition, they may cause labored breathing in newborns when taken for labor pain.)
Due to concerns about birth defects, it may be safer for a woman to be off narcotics while she is expecting.
Narcotics do pass into the breast milk. However, they have not been reported to cause problems in nursing infants.

Do some research on this topic.  Look into it for your baby at least.
Do you really want to risk bringing a sick baby into this world?

I know someone who never quit smoking all through her pregnancy. Today her little 4 month old has tongue cancer. She is overwhelmed with guilt at the thought that her smoking may have caused this. Do you really want to look at your precious baby and know that whatever pain or suffering she/he may be born with was caused by your selfishness? Sorry to be blunt as well but this is the only way I can relay this message.
Will keep you in my prayers.
I agree with the level-headed posters who suggested contacting your OB immediately to discuss this and figure out a plan.

You should also consider treatment, you do have an addiction if you cannot stop taking them despite very real and serious consequences (to your unborn child namely).

Good luck to you.