Maternal & Child Community
Nasonex in 17 month old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Nasonex in 17 month old?

I took Colten to a pediatric allergist today, he seems to be suffering from allergies - DH has bad allergies, and as a child needed shots-  but Colten is 17 months old, and weighs 25 lbs...  she gave me a sample of nasonex to give to him, saying it had been approved for kids 2 and up, but that Colten was a good sized 17 month old, and he'd probably do fine with it-  so she wanted to start with that, and then maybe do some blood testing in 3 months if he didn't seem to be doing better...  anyone else giving a child this young nasonex?
No.  Emily began Nasonex at 5-supposedly much better than Flonase for kids.

Jake started allergy meds in May at 19 mos.  He is taking Singulair and Zyrtec.  ENT thinks allergies are causing fluid build-up in his ears, leading to his frequent ear infections.  My DH has terrible allergies.  Jake's eyes used to just drip tears and he has what they call "allergic shiners" which are big purple bags under his eyes.  The meds have helped this and we go back later this month to check the ear situation.

As far as the med goes for Colten, because Jake is a big boy, he is forever getting larger then normal dosages of meds.  If the doctor said it was OK, I wouldn't worry.  Except is he sniffing it up properly?  I would think it hard for a 17 mo old to master that.
I don't know-  unfortunately the past two days my baby-sitter had to administer the nasonex-  I didn't want to wake him before I left for work, if I didn't have to....  we have DH's cousin coming to our house this summer to keep the kids,  so I don't have to drive them all over the place-  I gave it to him Tuesday following the doctor, and he seemed to do fine with it, be didn't try to "breath" it out anyway-  I'll have to try to make sure he gets up before I leave tomorrow to try to be the one to give it to him....  

If this doesn't seem to work, I think I'll try an ENT....  thanks for responding...  it does make me feel better about the zyrtec at least.   That seems to help a little.
Good luck to you and little Colten :)