Maternal & Child Community
Natural Miscarriage Stories

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Natural Miscarriage Stories

I wanted to post this question and hear about other women's natural miscarriage stories...

I was 8.5 weeks (getting ready to go in for my first DR check up) when I started to spot. I called the DR office but they wouldn't see me (as I was a new patient) and they suggested going to the ER instead. I have been pregnant before and gave birth to a healthy baby without any bleeding or complications, so this time around, I knew that I was having a miscarriage... Also, as my bleeding and cramping increased, I realized that this was indeed a miscarriage and there was nothing the the ER could do about it.
So, I decided to avoid any further medical involvement and have a natural miscarriage at home. Next day, my cramps started to increase and I could feel my uterus tightening as well. I passed mulitple blood clots and large objects, but I haven't had the need to carefully investigate them. At this point, it's been one week and cramps are getting very rare. I have been bleeding less and less each day, and I hope that I'm passing everything there is to pass.
With this post I was hoping to hear from other women who chose natural miscarriages over D&C... I needed some assurance that I'm doing the right thing, as most of the relatives are pressuring me to get a D&C, but I don't want to see a doctor for a check up until I feel that I've passed everything and at that point, they can confirm it.
I appreciate you sharing your stories! This site has been very informative and has helped me a lot! Thank you all!!!
First of all, I am so sorry you miscarried.  Even when you decide to do it the most natural way, it is still the loss of a pregnancy.  

It sounds like you had a complete miscarriage, unless you continue bleeding like a period.  I would contact your doctor and have just an ultrasound.  You don't need to schedule a D&C, it is easy enough to look into your uterus by u/s and make sure all the tissue has passed.  While there, get a beta hCG count (blood test) to confirm that your hCG level is 0 or at least less than 5.  Both things will tell you that you have finished the process.  I hope this is what has happened for you.  Given that nobody wants to miscarry, it is the simplest and easiest way on your body.

You certainly do not need a D&C if all the tissue is out.  Even if it is not, you might be able to convince the rest to leave by getting a methotrexate shot, rather than having a D&C.  But it really sounds like you have had a complete event, so tell your family that it is very likely your body has already done most or all of the work.  A D&C will only be called for it something is left behind.  About that issue, let your doctor be your guide.
Thank you for your post! That's exactly what I'm going to do. I guess I had to hear from someone else in order to be sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

I know that my family's simply concerned and wants to make sure I'm well and that's why they sugget a D&C, but at the same time, I have felt in control of the entire process from the very first spotting. And therefore, I feel like my body knows what it's doing and hope that everything comes out like it should...

Again, thanks for your post! I am so glad that I found this site!

Your welcome!  I had a natural miscarriage in January, and learned a lot about what can happen if some tissue does stay behind.  Just watch for any symptom that would indicate a problem -- if you bleed continuously for a long time (like, weeks) or a lot in a short time (filling more than a maxipad in an hour) or get a fever, get in to be seen immediately.  All of those things would indicate some tissue is vascular and has stayed attached to your uterus (a piece of placental tissue can sometimes do this).  But the body naturally will pass any tissue that is not viable any longer, and that sounds like what has happened for you.  If you do have a natural event and it is complete, that is the best way for your body (in particular your cervix, which prefers to open when your body tells it to, not when a doctor with an instrument tells it to).  And your ob-gyn will be the first person to tell you that if you have passed everything, there is no need for a D&C.  If the uterus is empty, that is where it needs to be, and curettage would be an unnecessary procedure at best.  Do get the ultrasound and the blood test, and go from there with your doctor's advice.  Good luck!
Did you choose a natural miscarriage as well in January or a D&C? I believe that if I was further along, I might have chosed D&C, but at 8.5 weeks, I figured natural would be easier... We'll see :)
I am so very sorry for your loss.
Annie gave some great advice. I've had 2 miscarriages before having my first child, and miscarried naturally both times. The first time I was 5 weeks along. I woke up to cramping and spotting and then started bleeding and passing everything within an hour. My midwife gave me a blood test until my numbers went back down to 0. If they didn't then I guess I would have needed a d&c. It was like a normal period with a lot of cramping.
My second was more traumatic for me. I was 10 weeks along and had a little bit of brown spotting 2 days before I started bleeding. I was told everything was fine, based on seeing a heartbeat at 7 1/2 weeks. Then I started bleeding and cramping so bad like I was in actual labor. It lasted 12 hours before I passed everything. I knew I didn't need a d&c after seeing everything. (I'd rather not go into detail, it's still so emotional for me)
Had a blood test a few days later, my levels had gone back down. My mom had numerous miscarriages and one time had to have a d&c and she wishes it could have gone naturally, it was an awful experience. There are some cases when it needs to be done though. Like Annie said, be sure you get an u/s and a blood test and your doc will know if everything has passed. I have found this forum so helpful, and stumbled across it after my miscarriages and was so thankful for all the support and advice, I decided to stick around. Hang in there! Don't let anyone pressure you into something and your doctor will take good care of you.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I have experienced 2 miscarriages and chose not to get a D&C after.  The 2nd miscarriage was at 11 w 6 d and as chantal21 said -I saw everything and it was devastating.  My doctor still wanted me to go in for an ultrasound to follow up and she also gave me methoextrate pill to try to speed up the process of expelling everything that was left.  I am glad I didn't get a D&C because I have also heard others who have had a bad experience.  But it is a personal decision. I would at least see if you can go in for a followup so they can make sure you are all clear.  I wish you all the best!
I have never gone to an ER for bleeding, cramping, or miscarriage

I have had several natural miscarriages at various pregnancy stages - docs all suggested giving me meds or using suction - I have always refused because I do not want them messing with my lining!!!

Each successive miscarriage was more painful.  My last one had me crying in pain for days - I was hurting bwteen my legs - not high up like period cramps.  

WIth each miscarriage I bled for well over a week!

Good luck
i had 2 natural m/c. one is sept and the other in nov. both happened the same way. i started spotting brown then it got to light pink then deep red. The first one I started cramping and heavily at about 1 am and i didnt start to pass clots until the after noon around 12 pm. The nurse i talked to wanted me to check a pg test, bc there was a lot of confusion with everything bc i hadnt been to the doc yet. so i had to pee in a cup ( i was at my parents house with them bc my husband had to work and i didnt want to be alone) when i peed in the cup i believe i caught a huge clot which i believe was the sac. i went to the doc the following week to make sure everything had passed and to check my levels. I had almost passed everything and my levels were normal again. the second m/c happened a lot faster. It was devastating. the hardest thing ive ever had to go thru. My sister had a m/c a week after my first and she had a d&c. Now Im 30 weeks preg and my sister just delivered her 2nd baby girl on the july 29th!
I wanted to thank you all for your advice and comforting words! I'm very hopeful that the worst is behind me...

It's been exactly one week since my bleeding started, and I have to say that today, there was almost insignificant bleeding and no cramping at all. I believe I will schedule an appointment for sometime this week, (or maybe next week, depending on Dr's schedule) just to validate that I'm all clean...

Again, thank you so much for sharing your experiences and stories!

Thank you for sharing your stories with me! I'm glad to hear that it is normal to only bleed about a week or so with a natural miscarriage.

I'm so glad to have found this site, since otherwise I had no previous knowledge/experience with this situation and the only suggestion I kept getting from my family was to get a D&C.

Thanks again!
I also wanted to share my experience of a natural miscarriage to help other women who are going through the same thing. This is very detailed and hopefully helpful to all of you who may go through the same.

As I went in for my 2nd ultrasound at 9weeks 2days I was informed my baby no longer had a heartbeat. We had previously seen the heartbeat at 6weeks 2 days. The sad part was my baby was measuring 9weeks so I was told it was fairly recent. At this point I was I couldn’t believe it probably out of fear, but the next day I went in for a 2nd opinion and sure enough no heartbeat was found.

10 days after the news I noticed a bright pink spotting after intercourse on Sunday. Then nothing until 2 days later on Tuesday (12days) from the news, two weeks since the baby was no longer living, I started having bleeding, light-regular. Then Wed or Thurs night I started having pains majority of the night and it was very hard to sleep. Then on Friday afternoon I started having pains, squeezing of the uterus pains, labor pains. They do not feel like cramps, but they really feel like a squeezing sensation. They became regular around 4pm and were coming every 2-3min lasting 30sec to 1 minute long. This continued for almost 2 hours and they became strong that I couldn't talk or do anything while they were happening except breath.

Around 5:45pm I started bleeding very heavy. I started out using regular pads, then switched to always infinity overnight, because of the amount of blood, these worked best. From 5:45pm-12:15am I soaked 7 pads within those six plus hours. After 12:15am the bleeding decreased and one pad lasted me all through the night. They say if you are soaking more than one pad very hour, for 4 hours then to go to the ER but this was the last thing I wanted to do.

Let me explain what happened between 5:45pm-12:15am. It is definitely not just bleeding. It started as heavy bleeding, then progressed to passing small clots (quarter size), then to passing clots an 1inch in diameter, and then to passing clots 2inch in diameter. The clots I passed looked just like blood clots, a dark red color. I probably passed 8 clots that night. At some point I couldn't even get off the toilet I was bleeding so much. I needed to put towels down on the bathroom floor because when I would stand to wipe or change pads blood would drip.

This is a very messy time. Also I was in sweats I knew would get blood on them and also undies. You need to be prepared. It also is a lot more flow when you are walking around or get up from sitting. Sometimes I had to have my husband there to help me to the bathroom. You definitely need someone there with you. You need to be aware of the signs you are losing to much blood, such as weakness, dizziness, etc. You also need to be drinking a lot of water so you don't lose too many fluids and look out for signs of infections, i.e. a fever.

I researched natural miscarriage ahead of time, trying to get an idea of what it would be like and what to look out for in case I needed to go to the ER.

Also when passing clots your body feels open. It is a hard feeling to describe, but obviously you are more open to pass those size clots. I also kept with me the bathroom a container to catch the clots in because I wanted to catch my baby and bury it. I also kept a strainer, baby wipes, and plenty of toilet paper in the bathroom. I took one dose of Advil that night, to help with pain but it didn’t really.

Sadly this was not the end of my natural miscarriage but just the beginning.

Natural Miscarriage Continued

The next morning around 9am I wanted to get out and get moving. I knew the process was not over and being active seemed to help get things going. I and my husband went out to the store. You are advised not to drive because the pains and bleeding can be sudden. Sure enough on the way home in the car I started having those squeezing pains again. I could feel the blood flowing, and by the time we had gotten to our driveway, on the walk to the front door blood had soaked through my pants and was dripping down. That morning I passed the largest clots yet, probably 2 and half inches in diameter. 11am-1pm I probably passed about 6 large clots.

I called the advice nurse because I was concerned about the blood loss. Even though I was feeling ok, I knew that over 4 hours of soaking one pad, warrants a trip to the ER, and counting what happened the night before I was over due. So sure enough the advice nurse and my doctor said I needed to go to the ER. I did not want to go because I knew I had not passed my baby yet because I had seen no tissue pink/grayish only blood clots. I made sure to eat lunch before going in, as I knew they were not going to allow me to eat. I also took one dose of Advil that morning.

My husband and I arrived at the ER. My blood count was taken and they did an ultrasound. I wanted to make sure they did these things before trying to do or deciding to do a D and C which I did not want done.  The ultrasound, which is vaginal, was the most painful experience. They concluded my blood count was ok, no problems, not low and that I had not passed the fetus yet but it was it was low down in my cervix. The doctor said now it was just a matter of pain and the fetus should pass sometime soon. I was given the option to go home with pain medication or to me admitted for it to pass naturally there. I wanted to go home where I was comfortable but my doctor and husband advised me to stay, so I did. I was offered vicodin and asked to only take half. This made the labor pains, which had reached their worst, easier but definitely you could still feel them. The vicodin made them feel as they did the night before, Friday night.

After being admitted, the pains were less frequent and irregular. My doctor came and did a pelvic exam to see if the tissue was visible to be pulled out and also to check the size of my uterus. My uterus had continued to grow. My uterus was measuring 11 weeks, which at the time I would have been 11.5 weeks along. This saddened me the doctor said it was normal, and happens because your body did not realize it was no longer pregnant. After that the nurse was doing the admitting questions and we were getting settled in and comfortable and that is when my pains returned regularly. I was given an IV drip pain medication, torderal I think was the name. They said it was like a liquid Motrin. I took one dose of that, a 4hr and had no more pain the entire hospital stay.

After being admitted I also stopped passing clots and the bleeding slowed down and progressed to very light. We stayed over night. In the morning I was trying to be active to get my body working again but being put on a no food, no fluid diet, my body was upset. I knew being admitted stopped my body from working naturally. I requested to be released and my doctor agreed. She told me when I was admitted if it didn’t happen it 24hours, it might not be for a few more days.

I felt so happy to finally eat, drink, and move without an IV but I was also very sad and worried the miscarriage was not complete, which would mean If it didn’t happen soon, I would need a D and C.

I was scheduled for a D and C two weeks after the miscarriage process began, 4 weeks from when the baby stopped living, and 10 days from leaving the hospital. During those
10days I continued to bleed light to regular passing some small clots. At one point one week from leaving the ER I started bleeding heavy for about an hour and my body felt open again and I passed a clot, but then nothing else.

On my way to the pre-op appointment I cried, for my baby, fear of surgery, and more. I went in to see my doctor. The nurse did not tell me to undress, and I thought that was it. I was hoping they would do an ultrasound just to make sure everything hadn’t passed. Then the doctor came in and wanted to do a pelvic exam and I said sure. As she was doing the exam I asked if I would be able to keep a portion of my baby, and she told me I was passing a lot of tissue right then. She then put in the instrument they use for pap exams, I forget the name, and was able to pull all the tissue out as it was right there. During this I felt a burning sensation, besides that it was painless. The fetal remains were placed in a container. When I was left to change the 1st thing I did was grab that container to look at my baby. It is unlike any of the clots I passed. It was grayish/pinkish and a lot less solid. I was so happy to avoid surgery and get to see my baby. I also got to take a part of it home to bury.

Natural Miscarriage Cont. Part 3

I was given methergine to help tone the uterus to take for 2 days. I experienced no side effects with the medicine, but just a slight pain in my thighs. I bleed for 11 days after my miscarriage was complete with the last few days just basically spotting. At my follow-up the doctor said everything was back to normal except the tissue that went to the lab was the placental tissue and more but no actual fetus. I am not sure if I had part of the fetus in my container, or if the tissues became to decomposed to tell, or if it was passed sometime along the way. I do know I never saw that kind of tissue pass though; accept at the doctor’s office. That part still kind of bothers me but I felt I had a piece of my child to bury and I was happy with that. Then 23 days after my miscarriage was complete, 12 days after the bleeding stopped I received my cycle again. The 1st day was light-normal the 2nd and 3rd day were heavier than ever, then normal-light then spotting. It is the 8th day after the 1st day of my cycle and I still have some spotting here and there. I know they say the 1st cycle after a miscarriage is the most irregular so we’ll see.

Also I wanted to add that we resumed intercourse 6 days after the miscarriage was complete although you are suppose to wait until you are no longer bleeding, which I did not know, my doctor only advised to wait 2 weeks, but it just felt right for my body and was not painful, but I did feel a burning sensation after that first time. I didn’t have the sensation again though and intercourse was normal. I also wanted to say we started trying again right away as we did not use a birth control method and you can ovulate between the miscarriage and your 1st cycle. Obviously it hasn’t happened for me yet but I do feel my body will get pregnant again when it is ready.  This is why I chose not use birth control again even though some doctors recommend waiting a least one normal cycle, or even three before trying again. We believe that when my body is ready, and it is the right time for baby it will happen, until then we hope for the best.

For all of you who are going through this, or have gone through this I am sorry for your loss. I also wanted to say for those of you out there with husbands or significant others it can be just as difficult for them as us. We need to remember men grieve in different ways, but they do grieve. It was a difficult time for my husband and I. You have to remember to stick by each other and understand you will each grieve in different ways, and will probably both be emotionally unstable. I also wanted to note I probably couldn’t have gone through this without my husband. Make sure you have a support person with you to go through this process.

I was very happy with my choice to have a natural miscarriage, and would not change my decision. I would however though change my decision to be admitted to the hospital. I felt this altered the natural process. I would have chosen to go home, after knowing my blood count was ok. I would have much rather had more pain then been in the hospital with no food or water. I would definitely recommend a natural miscarriage as long as you research the precautions and have an idea of what to except. I know each person is so different though this experience which is probably why doctors cannot give you an accurate details of what to except. I hoped this helped anyone out there, as reading others stories did me.

Thank you.

I just had my second miscarriage and it been over a month n a half now but I still have a little tissue coming out n I just got over my first period or at least I think it was, I went to the er three weeks ago n my levels were at zero but they said there wad a tiny bit of tissue but not to worry it would pass with my first period. I won't beable to go to the docters for a couple of days so I was wondering if anyone went through something similar?
Thanks for sharing your story!  Really helps.
I had a stillbirth in May of 2010 and then had a natural miscarriage at 8 weeks in August of 2010 and on Tuesday we went to for a regular OB appt. and there was no heartbeat.  He thought that we should be 10 weeks but the baby was measuring at 9 weeks 4 days.  We went in the next day and confirmed that there was no heartbeat.  The baby "looked perfect" but just didn't have a heartbeat.  I was supposed to start taking Cytotec today but just couldn't do it yet.  I have started to feel cramping and bleeding so I'm hoping that my body can pass the baby by itself.  The baby is going to be sent in for a chromosome study because the dr. is concerned that there is something chromosomally wrong because we saw the heartbeat at 6 weeks.  I'm scared again of the pain and am just sooo sad :(