Maternal & Child Community
Naturally short cervix and what that means for the pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I was told at 8 weeks that I might have a short cervix... and because I also have a tipped uterus (genetic - my sister has too) we couldn't get a heartbeat with the baby doppler so my doctor sent me for an ultrasound.  Heartbeat and everything checked out well during the vaginal ultrasound and my doctor just called me (now 10 weeks 5 days) to say that my cervix measured only 2.2 cm at that ultrasound and she wants me to have another one asap (scheduled for next week at 11 weeks 5 days).  I have no medical history that would be reason for me to have a short cervix and this is my first baby.  I am 25 years old and have always been very healthy.  There is no history of miscarriages in my immediate family.

My question is, how worried should I be?  My doctor has me stressed about this despite really knowing nothing at this point.  If my cervix is just naturally short (i.e. not know to have cervical incompetence), should I still go ahead with a cervical cerclage (what my doctor is recommending right now if the next u/s confirms a short cervix)?
I don't think there is a downside to cerclage, maybe some of the ladies can advise you about this.  The option is to just go ahead with the pregnancy with a 2.2 cm cervix.  Frankly, the latter would make me quite nervous.  I 'funneled' with my last pregnancy at about 20 weeks, and it stopped funneling at 3 cm and never got worse.  But the doc made it a point to tell me 3 cm is as far as she would have let it go without recommending cerclage.  If there was something dangerous about getting the stitch, then it would seem like a tough choice.  But with a choice between an added level of safety and not having an added level of safety (with no downside to adding the stitch), I sure would consider it if I were you.
From what I've read, the only downside to the cerclage is the restriction on sex for its entirety, cervical pressure, slight reduction in the possibility of vaginal birth, etc.  It obviously provides a lot of safety for the baby - particularly for single babies.  I've actually only read positive experiences of the cerclage and my mother-in-law (operating room nurse) and sister-in-law (doctor) both had no hesitations about the value of the cerclage.  Does anyone have a negative experience with one?  Has anyone gotten one and then was found to probably have not needed it because your cervical length didn't shrink?

I will be getting remeasured on Tuesday and then I'll know more about whether I have a shrinking cervix or just a naturally short one.  There seems to be such contradicting information about when people get them.  Some get them if their cervix is 3cm while other medical professionals say they wouldn't do one until 1.5cm accompanied by funneling.

I am only 11 weeks right now so I was thinking that if this u/s shows no change in cervical length I will opt to not get the cerclage right now and will schedule another u/s for around 16 weeks (20weeks seems to be when most people start noticing problems) to see if I am staying consistent.  Does that make sense?
In my opinion...why not get one..there is a possibility you could LOSE your baby!
Its definately not normal to have a 2.2cm cervix at 10 weeks.  If, after seeing what your follow up is, if you doctor recommends a cerclage, you should give STRONG consideration to having one.

You may never know "why", but it really doesn't matter.  If your doctor recommends it, you really might want to have it done.  
I don't exactly understand why anyone with such a short cervix would try to avoid cerclage.  Miscarriage is terrible, stillbirth even worse.  Why take a chance?  I would do ANYTHING to reduce (even possibly theoretical) chances of the loss of a pregnancy once I was pregnant.
I am 21 weeks pregnant and had a clerclage done last week. My cervix was measuring 2.2 millimeters. Yes millimeters not centimeters. Then within 2 days it was down to 1 millimeter, almost none existant. Now I'm on strict bedrest and will be going back to my dr next week for an ultrasound. Personally I didn't really feel like I had a choice to get the clerclage. I needed to feel pro active and feel like I was doing whatever I could to help my baby girl.  The procedure itself was very easy. The nerves were the worst part, but it was pretty much painless.  Everybody please think good thoughts for my baby, and I'll do the same. Good luck ladies!