Maternal & Child Community
Need advice...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Need advice...

I have a 6 month old baby who used to sleep right thru the night- those days are now long gone. I have read up on the "cry it out" theroy and I am also reading the no-cry sleep solution. Last night was the first night I actually started to apply the no-cry theroy but by 3 am I had no choice but to let her cry :(
It breaks my heart... what do I do? do I stick it out for the next few days and let her cry or do I continue to have zero sleep, rocking her, feeding her thru the night- why do I feel so guilty??
One soluition that I am interested to see your view on is tummy sleeping, she sleeps like I have never seen when she is on her belly but I am terrified of SIDS...
Please Help!
I know some will disagree with me and it may sound so cruel but even at 6 months old, babies know how to get what they want. It is ideally better to teach them to fall alseep by themselves from a very early age but it is so hard not to rock and cuddle them every chance you get! If she is truly only crying because she wants you and not because anything else is wrong, you have to let her learn how to sleep on her own if you want to get any sleep yourself. It really shouldn't take that long. My suggestion is to try it at naptime and see what things work to help her sleep on her own, then incorperate that to your night time ritual. It helps to keep to a strick schedule. You may have to let her cry some, but she will figure it out sooner than you would believe. Good luck
Thank you for the response. It is such a challenge being a first time mommy and trying to get it all right. What are your thoughts on baby sleeping on belly rather than on back?
I always had my daughter on her back but once she could turn over herself I had no control. She always did very well on her back. Does your little one like her tummy best? I know they change that and it's hard to know what to do but I was to afraid to go against the current thought. It's scary being a first time mom but I'm sure you are doing fine.