Maternal & Child Community
Negative OPK, but can I still be ovulating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have been trying to conceive for about 3 months now.. I started tesing with OPK. It said to start testing this week. I have not dectected my " surge" yet, which means that I am not ovulating yet..But I feel like I am ovulating. I am getting pain to one side, like it feels when u ovulate, and I have EWCM. Does anybody know if this can happen?
OPK is not 100% accurate if you think you are Oing and have fertile signs, go ahead and BD every other day to cover all bases.  Do you BBT?  If so, you can confirm you actually Oed.  Good Luck!
The first time I used an OPK it never detected the surge.  I actually missed my chance that month b/c I was relying on the OPK instead of my usual signs.  Stupid of me, I know.  Anyway, I know that I Oed b/c I got the temp increase afterwards.  I agree with dollchina.  OPKs are best used with BBT charting b/c that's the only way to confirm O.  BTW, the opposite can also happen.  You can get a +OPK and still not O.
I would say to make sure to use the sticks in the afternoon. I never got good luck w/fmu :)
I've used the sticks for 2 months now to no avail.  I was hesitant in trying them again this month but I thought what the heck.  I got some this time that you use daily instead of just the 7 day ones.  My problem has been that my cycle is not consistent from month to month.  There is a pattern however.  I rotate between 29 and 36 days.  Has anyone else experienced that and found any ways to deal with that?  I've only noticed that for the past 4 months so I'm not sure it will always happen like that.  We plan to bd every other day just to play it safe.  Any other ideas?  Oh by the way, this is my first time here.  This is a great support area for all of us ttc!
The month I conceived, I never got a surge on the OPK, but I was BBT and knew I was ovulating, so we BD and here I am 32 weeks pregnant.  OPKs aren't for all women, and just because it isn't working doesn't mean you're not ovulating.  Trust your body, if you feel like you are o, then you probably are.  If it doesn't work this month, combine using OPKs and BBT.  It will be like having a back up if one's not working properly.  Good luck ttc!
OPK's NEVER work for me! I've tried every make/model you name it! I know I'm ovulating as I have been pregnant once (miscarried) and have also had an 'observed cycle' to pinpoint when I'm actually ovulating, and it still never showed up on the sticks! OPK's just aren't for everyone and are SOO expensive so don't bother! An 'observed cycle' is very helpful if you have polycystic ovaries like me, but also expensive! I think the best thing is to do  BBT just to confirm ovulation but it won't predict it so you'll have to BD every other day between days 29 and 36. Don't do it every day as this doesn't give the sperm enough time to build back up. Also check your CM, although I never seem to get that either! Everyone is different.
I find this site so helpful in dealing with the up's and down's of ttc.  My husband and I have been ttc for five months now with no luck, the opk's have been little help as some months I see my surge and others I don't.  I went off contraception at the end of July and my cycles went as follows 39, 33, 32,32,28, so now I am not sure how to chart.  I was pretty positive I had a good thing going with 32 days but then I got a stomach bug at the end of December and started 6 days early for unknown reasons.  Now this month I am charting on a 28 day cycle as it has been my shortest, I am on day 9 of the opk's and still nothing.  If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them, here's to hoping this is the month.
I don't think that OPK's work for me. We've been trying with meds since May. While in May, June and August I got positive OPK's, I never ovulated. Because of my issues, I'm in constant contact with my Dr's nurse. I have PCOS and Endom. Every month they were also doing blood work. In August, my blood work indicated that I had not ovulated, but when my dr looked, he found evidence that I had. We do a vaginal ultrasound at every appointment. After my November cycle of clomid, We decided to take a break for a couple of months. My cycle had started on its on own on 12/31/10 and again on 2/2/11. We are now trying again with the temps and opk's and no positive yet. He doesn't want to do meds because he thinks my body is starting work on its own. While OPK"S are sometimes a good indicator, do rely solely on them as I have had wrong results.