Maternal & Child Community
Neighbor rant!!! Sorry!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Neighbor rant!!! Sorry!

We have next door neighbors that have lived there for just a few months. I am getting really tired of several things. First their dogs bark at us all the time! I HATE IT!! I can't even spend time in our back yard in peace with my kids. I can't even go to the garden without these 2 big dogs yapping continually at me.
Then, they have a 5 year old daughter that is doing several really annoying things.She went in our back yard when we weren't home, and played with and knocked over some thingys my husband puts around our tomato plants (this was a while ago) that keep them from danger of frost.She admitted to this to my kids.
I also have a large deep freezer in my garage. This child has been caught more than once getting in my freezer and stealing popcicles! I know I could keep the garage shut, but it gets SO hot in there.She purposely broke a political sign my husband had on our lawn.When he asked her why, she said, "I like to break things." NO JOKE!!!

My kids had about 30 water balloons filled and ready for a fight, and when they were in the house changing, she came and took them all and broke them!! Again, we asked why, and she says, "Because I wanted to."

UGH!!!!! I HATE neighbor problems. I'm afraid to confront the parents, because I don't want trouble.I am assuming this child just wants/needs attention?? She isn't the age of any of my children, so they don't really "play" with her.Maybe she wants to play with us?? I don't know.We have been kind to her.We aren't mean when we confront her.But these types of things are happening more often now that its summer.
What would you do?
I agree, sounds like she is starving for attention but I think the only way this is going to stop is to confront the neighbors.  Let them know what you've encountered with their daughter and if you are willing, let them know she is allowed to play with you but must respect your property.  Or, you can go the route that a neighbor of ours went as she had 2 kiddos coming down without parents walking in her house, etc. She told the 2 girls that they weren't allowed to be at her house or in her yard unless her parents were there.  We have TONS of little kids in our subdivision and we all play together but we PARENTS are all out.  This nipped the problem for them as when the girls would walk down without a parents, she would just kindly say "I'm sorry, but a parent has to be here if you want to play."  They stopped coming down and haven't had any problems since.  Good luck as I know this is a touchy situation.  I have said things to neighbors about dogs as the people behind us have 2 great danes which can BARK along with a boxer. They don't have kids and these are their babies but they are outside barking at like 6am and wake my kiddos up. I did call one day and ask them to please not let them out to bark so early or all day and that I don't bring my crying baby out at 6am for them to listen to.  I know them, not friends but talk if we're all outside. They didn't talk to me for about a week but would wave and now everything is back to normal and the dogs aren't out early so I don't regret it at all.  Since we weren't friends, I could risk losing them as aquaintences/neighbors for the sake of peace and quiet.  Hence why we don't have a dog.  Good luck and I'd DEFINATELY very nicely discuss everything with them. I think it's the only way to stop the problem.  
We do not let our 5 year old out of the house without supervision.  Where are he parents when she is off in your garage???  How dangerous is that!!!  What if you were Ted Bundy or something??  I feel sorry for that little girl... it sounds like her parents don't care where she is.  Maybe that could be the topic of conversation when you talk to them.. tell them your conerned about her safety and her roaming of the neighborhood.
I agree with babyhardiman...my 5 year old isn't even allowed inthe backyard with me.  I'm too worried about the stranger driving by (which we live in a super safe neighborhood in the windy back part of our subdivision) but even the ice cream man makes me nervous.  The parents definately need to be talked too!
I agree!! She does not seem to have much supervison. I just always hate confrontation, and would be worried about offending them.
But I think I'll take the "im worried about her" approach.I forgot to add, that she was ON TOP of my big deep freezer one day, so I could use that with the parents---that I am afraid she could get hurt in my garage. Thanks Ladies!
I agree that you should tak to the parents....but if your not good with confrontation, i would try to avoid the whole you' your worried about her because she roams the neighborhood" thing .  The fact that she messes with your stuff is your business, but usually parents that allow their child to have so much free roam dont see the things they do as bad, trust me i have had experience with these type of people.  More then likely they wont see much harm in her actions...but i would explain to them that your garage isnt a safe place for children, and espeically with her braking things, she could easily be hurt by something...
Yeah--youre right. I'll just say I am worried about her being in my garage only---using reasons like, there are potentially dangerous things in there and she goes in there unsupervised.
I won't say I worry about her roaming the neighborhood, cuz that might imply I think they are neglectful parents and they would have more reason to be offended.
Thanks!!:)
i forgot to mention....that when this child IS on your property and doing something you dont agree with(like breaking things and going in your backyard) i would not for one second hesitate to tell this child that you dont want her doing that and she needs to leave.  i have to do that all the time.  There have been times i have found kids in my garage and i have told them flat out." you are not allowed to play in here, please go play somewhere else"
Yeah we DO tell her, but the next day shes back and doing something else! lol
I think we have been "too nice" when we talk to her, so she isn't scared to just do it again.My husband is a big softy and no one is scared of him. lol
We will have to be more firm I guess.