Neonatal Herpes
I gave birth to a full term healthy baby in early Aug/2005. My son dies on his 12th day from HSV-1 according to the pathology reports we received. Dr.'s were pretty sure that my son contracted HSV-1 during labor through the birth canal. It has been 3 months since his death both my husband and I have been tested 2x for HSV 1 & 2 and they have both come back negative (the results were negative for IgG and IgM. As I'm sure you can appreciate this is very difficult for us to understand. After reading several websites on Herpes I've concluded that the information can be somewhat conflicting and confusing.  My Dr. says that if we were latent carriers (husband & myself)that the type of blood test she performed would indicate whether or not we are carriers of the virus.  My question - should I be seeking any other types of tests? Or should I be happy that both my husband and myself aren't HSV 1 carriers? We are planning to start a subsequent pregnancy in the next few months and just want to make sure that this isn't something that we need to worry about for our next baby as I would prefer to have a normal vag delivery vs. a C-section that is recommended in some cases for women that carry HSV 1 or 2 in the genital area.  If there is any other tests that you can recomend or advise to offer it would be greatly appreciated.  I know that this event was the worst "luck" anyone could have, however I want to do everything I can for my subsequent pregnancy to prevent any of this.

Thanks - looking forward to your answer ...
HSV 1 is oral herpes, and I don't think it routinely colonized the genital tract.  It can occur there, but it doesn't often recur there, and I don't believe the virus routinely sheds from there.

A good place to post this question is in the STD forum.  Dr. HHH there is a world renowned specialist in this area, and he may be able to shed some light on your situation.

If your HSV tests came back and quoted an IGG and IGM result, you did not have one of the more accurate tests, the Herpes Select by Focus technologies.  Many doctors don't fully understand HSV diagnosis and still believe in the older tests.  Anyway--post to Dr. HHH.  There is a minimal fee.