Maternal & Child Community
Nervous - When do you see heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Nervous - When do you see heartbeat

I had a miscarriage on Sept 2nd.  I got a blood test yesterday and it showed that I was pregnant.  My hormone level was 14, but my AF is not due until the 4th, so it's still pretty early.  I go back on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for more blood tests to check my levels.  The doctor wants me to have an ultrasound a couple of weeks after that.  I'm dreading the ultrasound since on my last pg the first ultrasound showed the baby had stopped growing at 5 weeks and the second ultrasound showed just one big black empty hole.  It was devastating.  I'd like to have the ultrasound done when there's a chance at seeing the fetus and heartbeat.  I don't think they can do anything if they do an ultrasound and there's something wrong that early anyway, can they?  When is the earliest you've seen your baby's heartbeat?  I should be so excited but I'm scared to death.
Thanks, Sharon
Im sure you are nervous, it doent matter what any of us say until you see the heartbeat and the doc says thing look like they are going fine,then you can start to relax a bit, the heartbeat can be found at 5weeks on us hope this helps.
I had an u/s at about 5.5 weeks and saw nothing but the sac. My Dr. said that based on my numbers, that is what she expected to see. I go back for 2nd u/s, which will be at about 7.5 weeks and I hope to see a fetal pole and a hb! You may see nothing at a 5 week u/s and it is perfectly normal!
With my first pregnancy i had a scan at 11 weeks (due to brown discharge-sorry), and they told me that I was either earlier than I though (something like 6 weeks earlier), or that it was a blighted ovum. I knew straight away what it was and as if by magic, as soon as I got home I started bleeding.

When I got pregnant this time round I had a scan at 5 weeks and the docotr said that the sac was looked good, went again at 6 weeks. The doctor told me to that we chould hear a HB, but i was so pesimistic, I wouldnt look at the scan as I was so scared, but there he was beating away.

I am now at 33 weeks, I am on bedrest, but who cares, as long as he is fine.

Anyway, sorry to go on for so long, just because it happended once it does not mean it will happen again, go for your scan and you will see that everything will be fine. Mind you everytie I go for a scan I am always scarred just in case. It will be that way the whole way through, and apprently the worrying gets worse once you have your baby.
Thank you.  I'm 40 years old and this would be my first child.  I'm really trying to stay positive.
I went here and found out the heartbeat what they look like you can try this http://www.pregnancy.org/pregnancy/fetaldevelopment1.php
I heard the heartbeat at my 7 week ultrasound. Good luck and best wishes to you!! :)
I saw a very strong heartbeat at exactly 5 weeks but I've heard of women not seeing anything until 7 or 8 weeks, sometimes later.  The baby continued to have a strong beat throughout my preg but I was the one who was a mess with incompitent cervix and bedrest.  
Best of luck to you.
They didn't see a heartbeat (or anything else for that matter) via a transvaginal ultrasound at 8 weeks exactly.  Just a black oval (gestational sac).  I was told I was miscarrying and they suggested a D&C, but I refused.  They suggested Cytotec, but I refused that, too.  Then, when I went for another ultrasound at 9 weeks, 5 days, to see why I hadn't started to cramp or bleed, they saw everything--yolk sac, fetal pole, and heartbeat (heard the heartbeat via the u/s, too).

Hang in there and let us know how things go.
I too have had 2 other miscaraiges before this one and was scared to death.  I say the baby and the h/b at 6w2d.  I just layed there and cried.  It was the first time I had seen that!   I wish you so much luck...keeping my fingers crossed  xxxx
I had a scan at 6 weeks 1 day because I had some bleeding and they couldn't see the heartbeat.  I had another scan 2 weeks later at 8 weeks, and there it was the heartbeat!
The radiolist said that it's hard to see anything at 6 weeks because it's all so small.
Good luck with your scan!
Hi there,

Feeling really scared right now.  Looking for some feedback.  I read the comment about someone who has received a vaginal ultrasound and was told to go for a D & C, and you made the decision to wait and your baby was okay. Did you also have blood work done to test hormone levels?  I am curious because I went for an vaginal ultrasound today and I thought I was 8 weeks, but by measurements I was only 6 weeks and 4 days.  As well, there was no heart beat.  I was told that the baby may be to small to see it or that the baby is no longer viable and has stopped growing, which would mean a D & C.  I go back for another blood test and follow up appointment in a few days to confirm whether my h-levels indicated baby is growing or not.  What would you all do in my situation?  Thanks for your help everyone.  
I had a tubal reversal 12/1/2005 since then I have had a partial molar at 9 weeks in 5/12/06 and a miscarriage in 09/18/06 where we seen a heartbeat at 6weeks4days but at 8 weeks nothing was in the uterus and had no cramping. Now we found out we were pregnant again and at 5w 2d just a small sac and at 5w 5d we seen a heartbeat but they could not hear it on the u/s now yesterday 6w 4d they only seen baby and no heartbeat. I wanted to just fall apart but God's helping me thru. I go for another u/s on 2/22 I hope we see a heartbeat and they were just mistaken
I am 9 weeks.  Had tv ultrasound at 6,7,8,& 9 week intervals.  At 6 weeks no heart beat, baby is small.  At 7 weeks evrything looks good heart beat, baby is still small.  8 & 9 weeks no heart beat, baby is small, but the sac is larger than expected.  My blood levels each week are good and my hormone levels are high.  I am 36 and have had two previous mc and two live births, but that was over 11 years ago.  This time it took more than 1 1/2 years geeting pg even with the help of IUI and clomid.  The miracle is we had stopped the fetility treatments and two months later I'm pg.  Today the dr suggested a d & c because more than likely it will happen this weekend (the mc).  I have had no bleeding or cramping.  So the dr. suggestion came as a shock to me.  I appreaciate the stories you all have told.  I am not doing the d & c.  I am putting my faith in the Lord.  Your stories have given me hope that not all dr's are right in giving that advice.  My prayers are with you all.
I HAVE BEEN SO STRESSED & CONFUSED LATELY & RESEARCHING ONLINE. ME & MY HUSBAND HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR A BABY AND RECENTLY HAD MY 1ST MISCARRIAGE IN SEPT. 06. IT CAME AS A SHOCK TO ME. I FOUND OUT I WAS PREGNANT 2 WEEKS AGO AND WENT IN TO GET BLOOD WORK TO CONFIRM IT. THEY SAID MY HCG & PROGESTERONE LEVELS WERE TOO LOW, SO THEY SAID I'D PROB MISCARRY AGAIN. BEEN GETTING MY BLOOD DRAWN LEFT & RIGHT, LEVELS ARE STILL GOING UP BUT NOT HIGH ENOUGH UP TO THEIR STANDARDS, SO THEY'RE STILL SAYIN MISCARRIAGE. I JUST HAD A TRANSVAGINAL ULTRASOUND & SHE SAID I LOOKED ABOUT 4 WEEKS INSTEAD OF 6 1/2 LIKE THEY THOUGHT I WAS & EVERYTHING LOOKED NORMAL, IT WAS JUST A SAC. THEY'RE TELLIN ME I SHOULD GET A D & C CUZ IT'S NOT LOOKING GOOD BUT MY LEVELS ARE STILL RISING SO IT GIVES ME HOPE EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE NOT HIGH. THERE'S NO WAY I'M GONNA DO THAT, THIS MAY WORK OUT. SO IF I DON'T MISCARRY IN A WEEK FROM NOW I GET ANOTHER ULTRASOUND AND THEY SAID IF THERE'S NO PROGRESS, THEN FOR SURE IT'S A NON-VIABLE PREGNANCY BUT WHAT IF IT'S STILL TOO EARLY TO DETECT A FETAL POLE OR WHAT NOT. EVEN THEN HOW CAN THEY BE SURE SINCE IT'S STILL EARLY. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THESE LOW LEVELS LIKE ME AND HAVE BEEN FINE AND CARRIED THROUGH AND HAD A HEALTHY BABY? THE DOC SAID IT WAS POSSIBLE BUT NOT LIKELY.
i wouldn't lose hope quite yet. the waiting game is just horrible but they will know for sure soon. they told my sister many times she was losing the baby and she went on to have a normal pg. that baby is almost 2. i wish u the best and good luck. i've also heard that 1 miscarriage does not make u any more likely than anyone else to lose another one. even tho it feels that scary, u still have a good chance at this.
I had an vaginal ultrasound done yesterday and they said there is no heartbeat. I should be about 6 weeks exactly today. They want to schedule me for a D&C next week, but haven't ran any blood tests. I have had 2 normal pregnancies and this is my first time with any prolem. Should I do the D&C or should I get a second opinion?
Ok I'm on my 3rd pregnancy and I went to  the
hospital and they couldn't find a heartbeat,and i had bloody show the night before. They said it might be a miscarriage but I still feel fluttering and movement I'm 8 Wks. And so scared should I be worried?