Maternal & Child Community
Neurological problems after baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Neurological problems after baby

PLEASE someone respond to this!  I cannot get on the Neurology board, so this is as good as I can get!

I am a 24 year old female- just had a baby 5.5 months ago.  My symptoms ALL started AFTER the birth!  It was a vaginal birth, with an epidural (placed twice).  It all started with post partum bells palsy- which onset 2 days after the delivery and went away in about two weeks.  Then I started noticing a strange feeling on my back, off and on- it felt like a piece of tape was stuck to it.  A few weeks after that, noticed that my toes were falling asleep for a few minutes each day. Eventually I started getting what only can be described as strange skin sensations all over my body- sometimes it was creepy crawly feeligns in my legs,  limbs falling asleep easily , wierd feeling like I was getting goosebumps(but without the goosebumps), my muscles were sore and my arm felt tired (as if I'd been working out), tingly hands, etc.  All of these sensations only last for a minute or to maybe a few times a day and then go away.  At around 5 months pp, my symptoms in the upper body have for the most part disappeared, and I am left with strange sensations in my legs and feet.  I went to see my doctor and he did bloodwork on me and everything came back fine- he said he didn't think it was MS or anything like that- that he'd seen women have these symptoms before post partum, and no one knew what caused it.  Could it be the epidural?  Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, please email me!  ***@****
If it is really bothering you I would ask to see a neurologist.  I was just clear from ms, but I do have nerve damage in my legs in feet to the point I swear they are asleep all the time, I also have fibromyalgia that can about after the birth of my 4th child who is now 4yrs old.  I would do some digging on the computer get all the info you can and go to a neurologist just to rule out nerve damage or even ask your doc to do nerve conduction studies.  I am lurking in the backround if you want to talk more.
good luck,
melissa
Hey Missie

THANK YOU for replying so quickly!  It is so nice to hear from someone else who has been through something similar.  I just made an appt. with the neurologist today but won't get in to see him until late Sept.  Hopefully more of my symptoms will be gone by that point.
So what brought about the nerve damage?  Did this also happen after the birth of your baby?  
I feel like I'm being totally paranoid and my doc seemed to think so too, but to me my symptoms are real- and there has got to be some reason for this-the only thing I can think of is an epidural.  Did you have one?  I have never had nerve problems (or any other type of health issues) until now- after a huge numbing needle was stuck in my spine, twice.  Howi s fibromalgia diagnosed?  Through bloodwork? That possibility was never mentioned to me, I will look it up.
Some symptoms have completely disappeared- does this happen in a case like MS, or do you know?

Thanks!
Dena
Everything to come to a head after my son was born.  I went through about 2 yrs not knowing waht was wrong with me,  I thought it was all in my head.  Fibro is dx by symtoms (symptoms) and how long you have them.  There are also tender spots, but I never had that test.  One mother where my oldest was going to pre k had fibro and took one look at me and said that she thought I had the same thing.  So I started a journal every day of everything that hurt or was sore and stiff.   I was dx about 1.5yrs ago.  I get so upset because there is no reason why or how the nerve damage came about.  I went to my 3rd neuro. doc about 2 weeks ago and he was no help at all, just increased 1 med but did not give me a rx for it.    My dh and kids are great when I do not feel good.   I homeschool our 4 kids ages 8,6,5and 4 because I have fibro.  I had to take my kids to school, they would not let them take the bus that passes by our house, so dh and I decided this was best for us, so we started with cyber school and they are very good with us, if I don't feel good we do not do anything on those days, but make it up when daddy can take over or double work when I feel good.
not knowing what is going on with your own body is the worst feeling ever.   Push for answers and keep a journal.
good luck,
melissa
Hey Melissa

I have read that fibro causes extreme fatigue.  Is this true?  I haven't had any fatigue, but who knows what my next symptom will be (that's another scary thing!)
It is so good that you have managed your life so well- It is good knowing you're not alone, isn't it?  God knows how many people out there are fighting for a diagnosis.  
Again thank you for writing!
God bless
Dena
I am new to this forum, could someone please tell me what all the different abbreviations mean?

Some are pretty straightforward, but sometimes I feel like I am reading a different language!!
there are days that I can barely get out of bed, but I do have days where I can function like a normal person.  The funny thing is I was pg but had a m/c on thanksgiving at 10.5weeks, I was in remission up until april then everything was coming in waves.
  There are alot of women with fibro and cfs, about a handful of men.
melissa
Fibro=fibromyalgia
CFS= Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
dx=diagnosed
MS=Multiple Sclerosis
Dena,
If you are worried that your symptoms may be MS, I encourage you to call the National MS Society at 800-FIGHT-MS, option 1. That will put you in touch with the Information and Referral Center and they will be able to help answer any questions you may have and put you in touch with neurologists and other MS resources in your area. I work for my local chapter of the National MS Society, and while I'd love to help you out and answer some of your questions, I just do development/fundraising so I am not much in the way of medical help. The people at the IRC are WAAAAY more qualified than I am to do that, so I thought I'd point you in that direction. Best of luck to you and I hope you find the answers you need!
Thanks for the Info

I have gotten a lot of info on MS, and the only obvious symptom that I have that is related to MS would be the toe/tingling and numbess, but even that goes away quickly whereas with most patients with MS it stays longer.  
Although it still does remain a possibility, along with anything else that makes toes tingle, I firmly believe that this is directly related to the epidural.  I have heard from many doctors that this isn't the case because it's a "regional anasthetic" - but that's total BS.  If a huge numbing needle is inserted in your spine, it's not hard to believe that it can affect your nerves throughout your body.  I know of women who have had their upper body become paralyzed due to the epidural- and although this is rare- it only proves to me that the epidural, if inserted wrong (mine had to be placed twice), can definitely affect all areas of your body.
Hey dena,  
  can you get your records from the hospital?  I would try then go see another doctor unrelated to you medical now. Maybe they can shed some light on the problem.  Anything is possible, your dr. may not agree but I would defently see someone else just for peice of mind.    By the way  fibro can be brought on by a tramatic event, so you may be in early stages of that but you may not be.  who knows,  keep a daily journal of every thing you feel and for how long that will help shed some light.   I have had drs tell me it in your head, but hey I can not stand up and I have fallen ,but its in my head. yea right.   Just stay calm and do alot of reserch on your symtoms (symptoms).  be armed with what you know and your symtoms (symptoms).
good luck,
melissa