Maternal & Child Community
Neutropenia in Toddlers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Neutropenia in Toddlers

My 3 year old son has suffered from conjunctivitis, ear infections and viruses continualling since birth. He always has a chest cough and tends to have little energy at times during the day. He's been hospitalised for anal fissures, osteomyletis and anal absesses, pnemonia (pneumonia) twice, all with neutropenia (0.03-0.04). He's has a 6 week run of bloodtests twice weekly and has had a bone marrow extraction which appeared OK so they didn't do further testing. His pead. thinks it could be cyclic but are unable to establish a cycle. Just last week my 15 month old ended up in hospital with osteomytelis and found that his neutrophil count was 0. He had G-CSF and after three shots, his levels went to 1 and then dropped to .5. Once he received his 4th shot, his levels went up to 9 and have since normalised at 4. He's been healthy since birth with only the occasional virus, though he, too, always has a chesty cough.

They will be re-testing the boys now that it seems to be a genetic thing. Can you make any suggestions on where we can go from here? They are having blood tests done in a couple weeks (neutrophil function/chemotaxis bacteriocidal activity/oxidative burst and CD11/18 screening). Can you tell me what they are looking for in these tests and could they be looking into something else as well.

Can you make suggestions on what I may be able to give the boys to avoid getting so sick?
I found this for you:

http://medicine.ucsd.edu/peds/Pediatric%20Links/Links/HematologyOncology/Diag%20and%20Mngmt%20of%20Chronic%20Neutropenia%20During%20Childhood%20Ped%20Clin%20of%20NA%20June%201996.htm

Hopefully it will help.  I don't have much else that I could tell you.
So how is your son doing now. Im curious because I have a son who is 2yrs old. He is also neutropenic, he has been in the hospital 3 times in the last 3 months. The last time that he was in the hospital which was 2 weeks ago, he had a bone marrow biopsy done. Turns out that he does not have cancer(thank God) but they do not know why he is neutropenic. We found out he was neutropenic in March of this yr 2009. Since he was born he has always been prone to infections. But they never told me he was neutropenic untill now. I asked about the G-CSF shots and they said that it is not recomended. I have heard from another person whos son recieved the shots that it worked for them.
I would like to know how things are going for your son now. Since he is older now I hope that he grew out of it. I wish you luck.

Hi!
I would like to know how is your son.
My daughter will be 2 in next mounth and we`ve also discovered neutropenia in this year in February.We have the severe one,we are all the time under 500.We also had a bone marrow biopsy done,but everything is ok with it.
So in the beginning she had a sore throat and few times fever so we got the G-CSF(in Hungary we call neopogen.)The results was ok for a few day ,but same count again.So then we just got if it was really necessery(under 50).
We are going for control mounthly,and always the same.Granulocities are down,everything else is ok,so see you next mounth.
She hasn`t been sick for the last 5 mounths.Not a coughing, a runny nose,nothing.No explanation.With her granulocity level she supposed to get sick all the time.Thanks God it`s not like this.
Our hematologyst said he think she is going to grow out this.But when???I am just dreaming of the moment when I see the granulocity count above 1000:)
Are u going for control mounthly as well?
And why did u have to stay in hospital?He got fever?
How is he now?R u isolating him?Did he get the vaccina against H1N1?
All the best,
Reka