Maternal & Child Community
New mom with ?? about newborn Congestion!!! Please Advise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Okay heres whats going on.  I had my son who was a preemie at 33 weeks. Well he spent two weeks in the Nicu and came home healthy, no problems.  Well ever since he has been home he has a problem with congestion.  He is three months now. I took him to his ped several times who just advises saline drops and that nose aspirator.    Well it doesnt work.  He cries so hard and he fights me and by the time im done he's stuffy from crying again.  then when i took my baby again he said that congestion is normal in preemies.  Poor thing he is havimg a hard time breathing at night.  he whines and snorts alot.   I really need som advise as to what is a good home remedy or something.  Because of his congestion he is having a hard time eating.  He seems to gag alot which usually lead to him throwing up.  im talkin projectile vomit that seems like it's everything he just ate.  Im at my wits end.  I feel so helpless.  trying to do everything by the book is frustrating.  Please help.  I mean can i give him anything???  or are there any home remedies...maby something natural or something??  Thanks
Do you have a humidifier?  They help a LOT.  If your doctor has not helped much (I expect we are talking about your child's pediatrician), you might just consider checking with another pedi, too.
Please do not give him ANYTHING, the CDC completely advises against OTC cold remedies in children under 6 now. Saline drops (sometimes just a drop or two in each side can cause a sneeze which will clear the nasal passage as effective as an aspirator will)

The humidifier is a good idea. Also sometimes going into a steamy bathroom will help.

None of mine were preemies, but they all suffered congestion as very young infants. Not a cold necessarily, but just a backup of sorts. They don't have the ability to sniffle like us. It just sort of sits in there.

Vicks also makes a lavender vapor rub that you can put on their chest to help open things up as well.
My son also experienced a lot of congestion, but he wasn't a premie. The humidifier helped and we also got those wedges for him to sleep on. That slight elevation helped a lot for sleeping.

I also would steam up the bathroom and sit with him in there. I always situated him in his little bouncy seat while I took hot baths so he could get some relief from the steam. My son breastfed and I remember how hard it was for him sometimes with the congestion. He'd get frustrated and cry, but he and I just kept at it.

Are you sure the vomiting has to do with the congestion? I would maybe have them look at that as a possible separate problem. Projectile vomiting is not good and may have another cause. My friend's daughter had constipation and the docs couldn't come up with a diagnosis, but the chiropractor found a kink in her bowel and gently manipulated it to straighten it out and she never had the problem again. Sometimes its worth looking at things from another perspective.

I know how terrifying it is when they can't breath, especially when they are so little. Just hang in there and know it WILL GET BETTER!
my dd was a preemie, but not as early as your baby (she was 36 weeks). we also had a lot of problems with congestion. the nasal aspirator, or "boogie sucker" as we liked to call it, didn't do much at first. like kristiana, putting the baby in the bathroom while i took a steamy shower helped a lot. i made sure not to turn the ventilation fan on. i would only try to use the boogie sucker after one of these steam treatments, or after she sneezes. if i wait until she sneezes, i almost always get something. her congestion started to improve a lot at 3 months (she's 3 1/2 months now). i think because her nasal passages are bigger.
by the way, i am very happy to hear that other than this little problem, your little guy is healthy. isn't it a miracle that these tiny babies can now thrive???  it saddens me to think that so many of these babies and even moms may not have survived if they were born decades back.
My boys had the congestion too, it's actually really common in babies, they are adjusting to everything.  I know the saline and booger sucker are not fun, but really that's about all you can do at this age.  I would take them into the bathroom too while I showered, put them in their bouncy seat.  The projectile vomiting isn't from the congestion though, the others are right.  Call the Dr. and tell them what's going on.  Our littlest one has it when his acid reflux gets really bad and out of control.  Could be many other things causing it, but call the Dr. and see.  Hope he feels better soon, and I hope you can get some peace of mind and rest too, hang in there mom.