Maternal & Child Community
Newborn Baby Won't Cry! Normal???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Newborn Baby Won't Cry! Normal???

My Baby is 10 days old and has not cried out, at all. He whimpers, and every now and again he'll make one "yelling sound" but all the while he is extremely calm even if i hold out from meeting his need for the time being. He either falls back to sleep or grumbles until I feel bad, and do what he needs. My mother says He needs to have a good cry so that his lungs will dry out completely. Is this true? and Is my son normal?
my son  didnt really cry for awhile either he is now 4 months old and he only crys when hes super duper tired other then that he is completely calm and everyone always tells me i have a good baby. I am sure its normal i wouldn't worry about it.
I agree with the comments above but maybe to be on the safe side when u next go to get him weighed u could mention it, let him get the once over, just incase, but hes probably just a calm baby! lol, us mums are funny arent we, when babies cry all the time we're like o stop already, and when they dont its like, huh wassup! All the best to u and lil one, whats his name?
hey, my daughter did not even cry when she was born, she came out and was just content.  they stuck her with a needle to give her shots and not even a whimper.  But when they stuck her on the scale she cryed out for a min.  then at home she never really cryed out.  she slept through the night at day one.  i had to physically wake her up to feed her.  But she progressed just fine.  and now she is a healthy almost 6 year old.  so dont stress over it too much, my daughter was concidered one of those "Good Kids" until she hit 4.  Good Luck !!!!!
congratulatioms, it seems that you have one of the very few "GOOD BABIES" be glad.  everyone wants one of those!
Wow, I am sooo jealous of you!  My son had colic and cried nonstop at night all the way through for the first couple of months!  Sounds like you have a laid back little one.  I would just mention it to your pediatrician and ask about it, but sounds like what the others said, you have been blessed with a good baby.  My neighbor has one of those too.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this next one will be like that.  I don't think I can handle colic again.  Enjoy your little one and congrats!
Sounds like a wonderful baby to me!  :)  Definitely mention it to your doctor though next chance you get, just in case though.

My DD cried and screamed non stop for 4 months.  We knew she had acid reflux but it took a LOT of research on my part to get her the correct medicine and the correct dosage!  I FINALLY have my happy baby.  How I wish those first months would have been easier for her...

Congrats!
Amy
my mom said i never cried when i was a baby... worried her to death she took me to tha doctor cuz she thought i was mute or sumthin but i was normal... jus a lil lazy she loved it... til she met my brother he took up for tha 2 of us !!!
He's a good boy:)
My DD didn't cry when she came out of me.  I thought something was wrong with her.  She also didn't cry when she got her shots in the hospital.  She didn't really cry until she was around 3 weeks old.  But she cries all the time now.  You are one of the few lucky ones!  Enjoy it.  I had to wake my DD up to feed her during the first 3 weeks...she would go any where from 4 to 6 hours if I would let her.  But I woke her up to feed her every 2 hours so she would get what she needed!  Congrats!
my neice is hospitalized and she does not cry even when the doctors is sticking her could you tell me what the problem  is  her mothe rhad full term labor but now they say somthing s wrong with the babys brain therye running all kinds of test on her hope fully she would come home soon.
My daughter didn't cry really, she grumped and squeaked.  It is okay for them to cry for extremely short periods of time when so young, and it is good for their lungs, however becareful about how long.  
My daughter didn't and still doesn't cry very much. they tested her at the hospital because they said it could be an early indication of health problems. but everything turned out fine. Theres proably nothing to worry about but i would mention it to your baby's doctor and let them know you are worried about it just to be on the safe side.
I'm an SLP. Crying is a baby's first communication. It COULD be that you have a great baby who doesn't fuss BUT I would make sure. Some babies don't cry because they have low muscle tone which contributes to having poor breath support.  If you've seen a baby cry, you can see how much breath and effort goes into crying.  Babies with low tone exhibit the low tone in other areas as well.  They may seem floppy or show no muscle resistance.  You could mention this to your doctor. Does your baby have other signs like heavy breathing? How is he/she feeding? Any difficulties with sucking or swallowing when feeding? Just things you may want to consider. In the future if your baby is late to hold his head up or sit up, this could be a sign of this as well.