Maternal & Child Community
No Yolk Sac at 5w6d Ultrasound...Very Worried!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had my first ultrasound today and they couldn't find a yolk sac. They found a gestational sac measuring 13mm but no yolk sac. I am returning for another u/s in 11 days.

According to LMP, I am 5w5d. Based on ovulation date (bloodwork at RE's office), I am 5w6d.

My bloodwork results for 20 Days Past Ovulation was: HCG 3596 Estrogen 340 Prog 14.9 This was the third test in six days. I don't have the results for the previous two, but it had been "increasing nicely" each time. Today's bloodwork results (27 DPO) were: Estrogen 683 Progesterone 11.7 They told me that anything over 10 was "perfectly fine" for progesterone.

Isn't the yolk sac pretty much always visible at this point? At what point do you rule out a true pregnancy because no yolk sac is visible?

Thank you for your help. I am so worried that I can think of nothing else!
Hello, I don't really know the answer I am sorry, I just wanted to let you know it seems a bit early in pg to see anything yet. I know you are scared hon and I would be too, but wait till your next appt and try not to worry so much. Sending you a huge online (((((HUG)))))

Take care
Christine
Hi, don't worry yet ok! I am also 5+ weeks pregn. I asked for u/s friday my doctor says it is too soon  impossible to see anything yet..2 more weeks - Just an advise please check regularly your progest. level it is very important in preg. do you take suppl. progest. How old are you? is it your first?
Take care and keep us posted
I am in the wait line too  you are not alone let's hold hands girl!
Hugs
Geneva
As far as your progesterone I insist that you request or check regularly bec. I had the problem twice too low. I have an IVF w/egg donor and get proges. shot 100mg daily my rate is very high 39.6, my doc. says that 15 and more is good and I know some doc. say 10 is good. We have on this line a lady who had 3.3 and she is doing fine!! it all depends on the individual. Try not to worry we are here to cheer you up and chat if needed. I am myself quite tense today bec. waiting for my friday HCG test I need 1000! and I am far from it on tuesday 528...anyway the nice thoughts and encouragement on the forum help enormously.

Take care
Keep us posted
Geneva
Thanks for the encouragement.

Actually, I wrote the message right before leaving for a trip and somehow didn't manage to post it until I came back.  So, the date is a little off, the U/S was on the 22nd and all the information is just a little old.  My next one is on Monday and I have all my fingers and toes crossed!

I guess I'm extra worried because I've seen other ultrasound pictures from around 5 1/2 weeks and you can see more in them than mine.

I am about to turn 34 and this is my first pregnancy.  Supposedly it was "very unlikely" that we would conceive on our own and I was to start IUI (as a prelude to IVF) after fibroid surgery in July---I guess that whole plan is "off" now!

I am not taking progesterone supplements because the RE says I don't need them as long as my level is over 10.  It makes me nervous that It's so close to 10 though, I feel like it could drop below soon after a bloodwork and we'd never know in time.  Is it the practice to supplement it when it's as low as mine?

Thanks again for your good thoughts and encouragement.  I feel so naive because I'm so "grown up" but know so little about pregnancy!  Yikes!

Chris
I had my first ultrasound on June 3, I am about 5-6 weeks, I was told that there was a visible yolk sac but not heartbeat in sight.  Then I all of a sudden got a call back 2 days later, from my physician saying that the yolk sac appeared to be empty and that I am NOT pregnant after all.  My HCG level is about 36,459, I am very confused and angry, for the lack of professionalism my physician has displayed.  Please, ask many questions, leave NO stone unturned.

Teej
when I was ultrasound last night, the Dr did not find any sac. I showed her the pregnancy test kit I used (Iam to make it in an album that is why I am saving it) and she said although there are two lines but only one is very clear which is always clear but the one testing the hormone is not that clear. It might not mean I am pregnant. I had my first HCG test last night also, and it says 5-6 weeks pregnancy but when she explained to me the result, she told me it is a bad pregnancy and she told me to just let it go naturally. She also asked me to wait for 15 days more, if there is still no menstruation that means I need to come back for ultrasound. I cried walking home. And tried to search the answer in the internet. When I found this site, it somehow gave me a hope.
This was a very helpful sight for me. My daughter took a test last week, that showed a visible cross, showing she was pregnant.
She went to her appointment today, and they did an ultrasound that showed a sac with no visible yolk sac, I think that is right.
She thought she was about 5-6 weeks, but they told her she might not be that far along, which is why it is not visible. They did blood work, and she will go in next Wednesday for another ultrasound. This is her second baby in two years. Her first pregnancy did not even show up with a blood test for several weeks. Could this be the same thing again??? She is not too worried, just waiting  for next week.
Thanks a loving Nana
I have just had a scan and thought I was furthur along than what i was, I was concerned because he said he COULD see the yolk sac but not much else!, according to that I was 6 weeks, I have to wait for another 3 weeks for another, when he said things will be much clearer ! I came out of the hospital feeling really sad! This is my 3rd child, Should i be worried?

Clare
my sister is pregnant and they saw two eggs and I think the said one looks a little different also the one that looks different has no yolk around it what does that mean and could it change she is only 6 weeks along
Help, I just got aa transvaginal u/s, Im 5wk 2d, they see a gestational sack but no yolk sac or fetal pole? should I be worried?
hcg levels are 2685
I am 35wks pregnant,i had my 1st U/S at 6 wks and couple days. they could not find the fetal pole, htey had me repeat the U/S 2 wks later that's when they found the fetal pole. Good luck to you