Maternal & Child Community
No baby in Gestational sac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

No baby in Gestational sac

I went in for an ultrasound yesterday(april 30) and the doctor used an abdominal ultrasound instead of the transvaginal that she has in the past....anyway, all she could see was a gestational sac, no yolk sac or baby. She sent me to get my HCG tested and it came back really good..over 11,000 and she is also checking my progesterone. (get those results in a couple days) My sac measured 18mm which puts me 6.2 weeks instead of the 7.2 we had figured based on my LMP on March 10 with a 28 day cycle(since 28 was my cycle in the past). But lately my period had been switching off and on from 28 to 35 day cycles and my LMP was a 35 day cycle. So if I base my due date on March 10th- 35 day cycle that WOULD put me at 6 weeks. Plus I am a little on the chubby side, so Im thinking maybe that made it even more difficult to see. She is having me go in again in a week to have my HCG checked again, to make sure it is rising.  If it does rise what do you think my chances are of having a healthy baby? Could the weight issue and misjudment of period cycle have something to do with why she could'nt see my baby yet? Should I be terribly concerned? Please give me your honest opinion, I really want to know the possiblities.  Thank you!
Robin
If your levels are rising I would not worry just yet.  I of course would think there would be something at 6 weeks because I thought most people saw a heartbeat at that time with vaginal u/s at least.  I do not know if weight would have any impact on anything.  Let's just see how the next levels come back.  Are you having any pain or anything???  I wonder if it could be an ectopic pregnancy or something.  There have been a lot of women here who have had that and I think your levels seem to rise with those but will eventually fall.  I do not know anything about that.  Hopefully someone else can answer this for you.  Like I said though, for right now just hang in there until your next HCG or HGC (whatever) are looked at.  Good Luck.   I will pray all is Ok with you.
If your levels are rising I would not worry just yet.  I of course would think there would be something at 6 weeks because I thought most people saw a heartbeat at that time with vaginal u/s at least.  I do not know if weight would have any impact on anything.  Let's just see how the next levels come back.  Are you having any pain or anything???  I wonder if it could be an ectopic pregnancy or something.  There have been a lot of women here who have had that and I think your levels seem to rise with those but will eventually fall.  I do not know anything about that.  Hopefully someone else can answer this for you.  Like I said though, for right now just hang in there until your next HCG or HGC (whatever) are looked at.  Good Luck.   I will pray all is Ok with you.  Sorry if this posts twice goofy computer is acting up.
Tweedy, I'm sure everything will be fine. Once you get your levels checked again you will be relieved I'm sure. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you for your prayers and your replies...it is greatly appreciated.  Thursday seems like an eternity away.  I have read good outcomes of situations like mine and bad ones and it is scary.  The only cramping I have is slight menstrual like cramping once in a while and that is it.  I don't think it is an ectopic because the gestational sac is in the uterus...I wouldn't have it in there if it was an ectopic would I? I don't know much about ectopics so not a 100% sure on what happens with it.  Thanks again for your replies I appreciate them, I will let you know how things go on Thursday.
Robin
Good thoughts are being sent your way!!!1
Maria
I know a girl, is kinda in the family, who was told that she just had a sac, but no baby, and was told that her body would mc the sac, but since there was no baby, it was not really a mc. It seems wierd, but that is the doctor in Nebraska. Anyway, she kept on to the hope that she was pregnant and sure enough, she was and now has a 5 month old. I don't know if it is the same situation as your but since your levels are doubling I would think there is a baby and they just cant see it yet. Anyway, isn't 6 weeks to soon to do a regular us. I thought they had to do the vaginal one to see the baby that is that small.
Mandi
That is the thing I don't understand...with my last two children(11&6) my doc used the vaginal ultrasound and had no problem seeing them this early...but for some strange reason in the past 6 years, she has switched to abdominal ultrasound...Im deffinately going to ask her why next time we talk.  She hasn't mentioned the words miscarriage or D&C, like some of these doctors have done in other posts...she said she is doing all this just to be safe.  It is me who is freaking out! haha  She is being very good about it...she is telling me, "lets just wait and check out the Thursday levels ok?" I just read so much on the internet and forums, because I like to know worse case scenario...and some end good and some end bad...that is why Im scared.  I do this to myself!haha  In my heart I really feel all is ok...but it is that little devil that sits on my other shoulder who makes me doubt and be paranoid.  I have had no bleeding at all(knock on wood) or any real signs anything is wrong, only thing was that ultrasound...so unless my body says otherwise I guess I should stop stressing...(EASIER SAID THAN DONE!) I have learned quite a bit from other's similar experiences and now I know IF she happens to mention D&C Im going to hold out for a bit...unless my HCG starts dropping, then I will know...but until then...Im not giving up.  Thanks for your story about your friend, it was very encouraging...just one more success story I can tell myself when I get scared. Thank you so much!
Best of luck to all!
Robin
I had an ultrasound and there was no hb the doctor didnt seem to concerned so I am trying not to worry I swear I think these docs should lay off the early ultrasounds I think they bring to much worry, anyway I am having another ultrasound in 2 weeks and jus pray everything is fine.
Thank you...Im sorry you are going through this too...pregnancy is supposed to be a joyous time...not worrying day after day if you will still be pregnant tomorrow.  Please keep me informed how things are going with you.  Best of luck to you and your little one!:o)
Robin
Hi I can totally relate to what you are going through right now.  I actually just went for my ultrasound today and they did a regular ultrasound and a transvaginal u/s.  They are checking me for an ectopic pregnancy because I just had one in February.  He said he saw a gestational sac in my uterus but wanted to do a transvaginal u/s to see better.  According to my LMP I would be 6 weeks and 4 days but he said according to the ultrasound I am 5 weeks and 1 day.  At the end of the appointment I asked him if there was anything in my uterus or was it an ectopic or is it to early to tell.  He then said it was too early to tell.  I am confused now because he said first he saw a sac in my uterus then he said it was too early to tell.  I really don't know what to think.  I have not had any bleeding yet either but am still worried.  I have faith but don't know how much longer I can wait to find out what's going on.  I hope that everything works out the way you hope.  My prayers go out to you - I know how you are feeling.  Take care and God Bless!
Hi - I went through the same thing.  With my ectopic there was a sac in my uterus but nothing in it.  I'm not sure how this works but it was a pseudo sac and the baby was developing in my tube.  The next u/s i went to the sac that had been in my uterus was just debris =(.  Hopefully your dates are just off.  Are you spotting? (((((hugs))))) and keep us posted. Kellie
i am going through almost the same thing i am almost 7 weeks pregnant and i have had some spotting for a little over a week.  i have had 2 vaginal ultrasounds and they keep saying there is a sack but no yolk or baby so they pretty much sent me home and told me i will have a m/c.  is there any way they are wrong even with me spotting?
hi, i don't know how far along I am but it should be around 4-6 weeks and I've also undergone 2 vaginal ultrasounds with the same results as urs -no fetus just a sac as yet. I am holding on to the hope that it may just be delayed development. I also had a little spotting, very minimal, once, early this am and it got me worried... But the doctor said we can never be sure and my mom mentioned of a friend of hers that was supposed to be 3 months pregnant yet only had a sac too... at 5months, her baby was 2months big... she gave birth to that baby and it was her eldest.. so let's keep hoping and praying! God bless us and our pregnancies... May the Lord guard our babies....
I had a scan 2 weeks ago and all they saw was a gestational sac measuring approx 5 wks 3 days.  No fetal pole or hb or anything.  I went the following monday and had my levels checked...they were 61219 HCG and 12.5 Progesterone. I am now not so patiently awaiting my second ultrasound which isn't for another WEEK (jan 3rd)  It's driving me crazy so I can completely understand how you guys feel.  
I just got saw my doctor this morning and he mentioned that there is only the gestational sac and no yolk.   I have been bleeding off and on.
This is my first pregnancy, my doc saw I will have a mc soon. Can he be mistaken? is there any hope for a change?
I got pregnant through ivf, i am so sad since hearing of this news.
I just got my first ultrasound down and I am about 6 weeks pregnant. My doctor told me
that I might be having a m/c because I too have nothing but a sac. I am so scared. I am just gonna pray that everything turns out alright and too anyone else in the future who may be going through this HAVE FAITH AND TRUST!!!!!
I'm trying to keep positive after reading everyone's comments I'm thinking I'm around 6 weeks. My U/S was yesterday and the sac was 18mm but no fetal pole. The doctor told me usually at 18mm they consider it an abnormal pregnancy and already started talking abt a D&C. Tomorrow I get my blood drawn again and Friday I have ultra sound. Do I still have a chance???