Maternal & Child Community
No fetal heartbeat but high HCG levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

No fetal heartbeat but high HCG levels

Can someone help me?  33 years old, first pregnancy and all seemed normal, except for a twingy, burning, very localized sensation on my left side.  Had a transvaginal u/s to rule out ectopic.  Was told there was no fetal heartbeat and that the yoke sac and baby were dating 6 weeks, although I was 8 weeks along, from LMP.  I did have intercourse on the day that would make me 6 weeks along, but I would have had to conceive on day 24 of an (on average) 30 day cycle and get two positive pg tests 4 days later (I strongly suspect I did not conceive then.)  Went in for a blood test today, with another in two days, and a repeat u/s in four days.  Results from today's blood test was 24,426 (much higher than I was told it should be).  I have had no cramping and just the slighest brown tinge of color on toilet paper.  No one has checked my uterus to see how it looks.  Am I having a miscarriage?  Could the u/s have missed the heartbeat?  Is the hcg level high if the baby died in utero two or three weeks ago?  If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear them; I am scared and having trouble just waiting to know more.  Thank you.
There are a million stories on this site of people who had an u/s at six weeks, or seven, and didn't see a heartbeat, and lo and behold at about 9 weeks there it was and everything else too.  I don't think you should stress over this yet.
That happened to me with my last m/c.  My levels were so high they thought I might have a partial molar but I didn't.  I only bleed brown and the spotting actually went away after a while, talk about torture.  I'm sorry for what you are going through, its horrible losing a baby you already love so much.  Time will help you to move on and try again.
Thanks for the comments, all of you--the waiting game is so hard.  I should know more with the blood test results on Wednesday.  I will keep checking on here for more information.
spotting is normal for anyone who is 8 weeks or so. its called breakthrough bleeding.

i was 7 weeks along and they measured me at 5. they did a transvag u/s and saw nothing, no yolk sac or baby. just a gestational sac. not even a heartbeat. my hcg levels were good so i went back 2 weeks later, at 9 weeks and i measured 9 weeks. we saw the baby wiggle around and heard the tiny heartbeat. most doctors wont even see you before 10 weeks because its rare to see and/or hear anything before then. all it does is scare the **** out of us moms to be if they dont see or hear anything. if your hcg levels are normal i wouldnt worry. goodluck and keep me posted!! ill keep you in my thoughts! babydust
Good Luck, the high rising HCG is a great sign the heartbeat could just be too soon.  Praying for you and your little one.  :)
this happend to a friend of mine, her hcg was rising and was told she was 4 weeks , she went for a scan to check all was ok but couldnt c anything and told her this was normal for her stage, she had her hcg checked evry 2 days and it was rising, she started to spot brown only slightly and then two days later miscarried. i hope this isnt the case for u and evrything goes well , keep us updated.
Update:  Today my HCG results were 21,014.  This is down from 24,426.  Although I had thought that if this number went down it was a bad sign, the doctor on-call today that my midwife consulted said that she would place very little stock in those numbers and that my repeat ultrasound on Friday morning would be a better indicator of what is going on.  I am at almost 9 weeks--at what point do these levels even out and then start dropping in a healthy pregnancy?
Numbers were down again today another 3,000 and there is now nothing in the sac.  Waiting for a miscarriage to start...very sad about this.
Sorry to hear this! I'm in the same situation...went to dr. on Thurs for vag u/s, baby measured 5weeks and I was 7weeks 5days. Couldn't see heartbeat, we are doing another u/s on Monday. I'll be 8wks 2days. My dr. didn't request any bloodwork although, I wish he would've. I worried this is a misscarriage but I'm praying it's not. This isn't my first miscarriage. Please email me if you'd like to talk some more. ***@****
hi, never done this before but after reading about whats happening with you guys thought i would add my experience too. Am currently waiting for another U/S which will take place this friday, as they have scanned me and found no baby but a yolk sac and gest. sac but nothing else, i have had a molar pregnancy 3 years ago, almost to the month! so am really concerned at the moment as you can imagine, but i have since been blessed with two more babies of which i am so grateful. i am supposed to be 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow, who knows i might get a supprise on friday and find the pole with heartbeat but i am not holding my breath.  if no change then i will be having a D&C on sat morning. i guess then i will have to take stock of my options as at 40 i am no spring chicken. hope some of you guys have better luck than me with your current situations.
I am currently going through challenges with my pregnancy too. I had an ultrasound on Monday and they found a sac with no fetus and I was 9 weeks on Tuesday. I am suppose to go back on the 27th for another ultrasound but am postponing that for 2 weeks. I am praying that waiting will give the fetus some time to develop more. There is no reason to rush. The waiting is horrible but I want to be sure. I am also preparing myself for the other possibility too even though I don't want to think about it. I had a miscarriage in July so I was not expecting this at all. We all need to trust in God's plan for each of us and that God is with us each step of the way. I wanted to tell women out there to get your progesterone levels checked when you become pregnant. I had heard from several women that many women miscarry because of low progesterone levels. I had mine checked and it was on the low side of borderline and now I am taking extra progesterone. I know it is comforting to other women to read about other women who are going through similar experiences. It is for me. May God bless all of you
Happy New Years to all,

I am 44 and pregnant for the 2nd time. I had a m/c 3 years ago at 6wks, 3 months after I returned from Iraq.  As of 12/28 the u/s showed that I was 5wks and 2 days and my hcg was at 9400.  The Dr called me and said that there was not a heartbeat and that I would need to take another blood test on Jan 2. As of tommorow, per their calculations I should be 6wks. I am scared.  I hope that at my next u/s which will be on Jan 8 they find a heartbeat. I had breakthrough bleeding during my first pregnancy and nothing so far with this one.

Hi Guys... this is my first time doing something like this but Im at my wits end and my doctors dont have too much info to give me!

I went for a u/s last week when I should have been 8 weeks pregnant and they could not find a fetal pole or heartbeat although the uterine sac is showing an 8 week pregnancy. They said I mush have got my dates worng but I know im correct. My doctor did hCG levels and they were 163,000 !! He did a repest one 5 days later and it was 171,000 !! Im going for an other u/s on Friday when I should be 9 weeks. Does anyone know can the fetus suddenly catch up? could I have misscarried but still have very high hormone levels. I so confused and afraid .. can anyone help?
My daughter was supposed to be 12 weeks but she thought sher may not be that far along. She was very irregular. Today she went to the doctor and they couldn't hear a heartbeat and sent her for an ultrasound and they said she is more likely arouond 8 weeks but i don't think they detected an ultrasound either. The doctor also took some blood to see if it shows her ebing as far as the ultrasound says. I didn't want to ask too many questions because i don't want to worry her but i am worried now. Do you think she is ok? This is her first child and my first grandbaby...
Sorry...I Should have read my comment before sending it..i meant I don't think the ultrasound detected a heartbeat....i am nervous about this...as you can see with all my typos!!!
Hi this is my 8th pregnancy in 3 years. 7 of those ended in a miscarriage.  I am pregnant again at 8 weeks.  Yesterday i went for a scan as i have brown spotting.  I was told that there is a sack there but no fetal heartbeat.
I have had a nightmare of pregnancies. This is torture i have 1 child who is my all. however my first born died through child birth.  I went full gestation with her. So i am so deperate to be a mum again. i would love a brother /sister for my daughter.
for my daughter.
Please advise me on the u/s that could not pick the fetal heartbeat up.  could there be any promising sighns that it may be wrong
i went for an ultrasound  on wednesday 7/19/07 and they measured the embryo to be seven weeks, but they did not detect a heartbeat.  and the nurse told me usually by seven wks. she can see a heartbeat.  my question is, should i wait a while and get another ultrasound, or should i go ahead and shedule a D&C?
Hi.  I would definitely wait -- are you having any signs of m/c?  It is probably just a bit early to see...give it another week or so (assuming you are not bleeding and/or cramping) and have another US.  Also, are they tracking your HCG?

Also -- you posted on a really OLD thread -- you will probably get more responses if you open up a new question -- I'm afraid you may get overlooked on more advice.  **See how the other posts are from January...it's the new forum set up.  Just go back and post a question for today.

Good luck!
Hiya
Yet another case to add!! I am only 5 and a half weeks pregnant and my hormone levels are not multiplying very quickly (12th July at 1296 then on 18th July 2188) Have been told its far too early to see anything by ultrasound as only 3 and a half weeks since conception. However my doc has said the pregnancy is not notmal and I should expect to have a miscarriage.... I have had very little brown spotting which I dont think for one minute is a miscarriage as I am expecting a lot of blood if I do miscarry. Is there any possibility that the hormone levels are ok and my doc is wrong?? Anyones advice much appreciated
I'm reading all these experiences that you are all having and I now feel not so alone.  When I was approx 8 weeks from LMP they did a transvag u/s and detected baby, sac and heartbeat! But at 9 weeks they say no heartbeat is detected.  Has anyone had anything like this happen and baby survived?  Please share your experience...
I have read all these stories and now I am questioning myself. I had a miscarriage back in Feb. 07. I definately know I lost that one. I became pregnant again in May of this year. I had my HCG levels taken at 4 weeks and they increased from 425 to 900 in 48 hours - Progesterone was 20 (which they said was good). I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks 6 days and was told that I was only measuring at 5 weeks and 2 days. They said that maybe my dates were wrong(however I know when my last period was). So I repeated my HCG levels. I went from 5000 to almost 9000 in the 48 hour period. I repeated the Ultrasound. According to my dates I was supposed to be 8 weeks. The baby still showed 5 weeks and tis time 4 days...still no heartbeat detected. This time she said she saw that the sac was there but she saw very little fetal tissue as she had seen a little more before. So...the Dr told me I would be miscarrying soon. I choose to have a D&E to get it over with. Is it possible that I should have waited and insisted another ultrasound? Were my rising Hcg levels and indication that I may have ended something too early? I trust my Dr but now I am beginning to wonder. Please offer advice.
I too had a miscarriage in Feb-  I had a D&C- my levels were still rising, but not enough and they were very high, like the original poster here...  we had 3 u/s and all showed no baby @9 weeks I had the D&C, I had the tissue tested and there was a genetic defect in the baby and that is why we lost it...  I am so sorry, but probably it is the same case for you-  I think your levels can still increase without there being a viable pregnancy... probably if you had waiting longer they would have started to go down...  I wouldn't put yourself through anymore mental greif...  good luck with the next one!
hi... I went to the dr. when i was 6 weeks and they saw a sac and nothing else.  dr. said it was to soon and told me to come back in 2 weeks.  Went back and dr. saw sac  which was still empty but got much bigger!.  He  sent me to a specialist who has amazing sonogram machines and they saw a small fetus and a slow heartbeat which as measuring 6 wks 1 day.  My dr. said not to get my hopes up at all since it was measuring exactly the same at 6wks and 8wks.  going back tues. to see if the heartebat stopped and then d&c on Wed.  Anybody got any hope for me?  This is pure torture... Thanks
This is my story, Saturday morning into  night the most devastating thing happened to me. I had to go to the emergency room Saturday night I was there from 8pm to 3am and still wasn’t seen so I decided to leave. I went because I had heavy bleeding and bad abdominal pain. It felt like something was being torn from inside of me…I was there all that time and I couldn’t take it any more so I went home. I had the same thing on Sunday. I called my OB/Gyn and he told me to come in first thing Monday morning. I went he checked me out and he said all seems to be good sometimes woman experience very heavy bleeding with blood clots and lots of pain. He then said to be on the safe side he wants me to get some blood work. In my mind I already knew what happened I had been pregnant not known since I got my period as normal, and had a miscarriage. This is what is in my mind so I go to get blood work he places me on bed rest until Thursday which is when I finally get to see the girls.

Yesterday I went for my follow-up to get test results and he says something is really off…oh wait congratulations you are pregnant…in my mind I thought no doctor I was, but I let him do his thing. So he tells me okay lets do a sonogram. Girl I didn’t even turn to look at the monitor because I already new it would come up empty. Sure enough it did, but he said they are too high even for a miscarriage, so he sent me for more blood work. I went today and I will find out next wed what is what and where to go from there.

We don’t know how to feel, we didn’t know we were pregnant so it is not like we were in love with the idea of being parents or looking forward to having a little one. Plus I really believe God does things for a reason. At the time they may not make since or may never make since but he knows best. But yesterday when the dr. confirmed it for me that I was at one time pregnant. I felt this over whelming sadness come upon me. But again I have through other difficult events in my life.
any opionions or advice will be helpful thanks
saturday(9/15/07) I went into the Er. I started bleeding bright red blood. There was no pain or clots or anything of that nature.  I believe me having intercourse brought the bleeding on. Well the Er doctor sends me home saying everything is going to be okay. i go back to the emergancy room that sunday(9/19/07) After having a bowel movement and since the prenatal vitamins have made me constipated, there was more bright red bleeding and this time there was a small piece of tissue. This really freaked me out. Well they did ultrasound that put me at 5 weeks and 1 day. The blood work showed my HCG levels were at 10,000. I seen my OB on Wednesday (9/19/07) They did anothe rultrasound and put me at 6 weeks and 4 days. I was a little confused because just 3 previous days i was only 5 weeks and 1 day. Well they still could not get a heartbeat. I was still sad. My blood work came back and my levels are only at 12,400 in which they should double within 3 days. They also said that my progesterone levels are low and they put me on some pills to help raise it up. I go back on Tuesday 9/25/07 and am so worried. They will be doing another ultrasound and i am hoping they see the heartbeat. They baby is growing still so I have some hope. Anyone want to shed some light on the situation and make me feel a little better.
Hello all..my first time here.  I'm am 9.3 weeks pregnant (1st pregnancy), but after mild spotting went to the ER and was told after transvaginal u/s that the fetus was measuring at 6.3 weeks.  This has devastated me since my doctor said there was no heartbeat yet my HCG levels are around 38000+.  I know for a fact my LMP (i'm assuming this is an acronym for last mentrual?) was Aug. 27.  Although I'm not on the dot regular, my periods have been averaging from 21 - 24 day cycles.  I'm completely heartbroken thinking that I could possibly m/c.  I am calling my ob this morning to get more bloodwork done and possibly talk to him about all this.  My prayers to all you moms to be going through your own set of difficulties during your pregnancy.
hello all. i have been browsing all these forums for some comfort.  I am 9.5 weeks pregnant according to my last LMP. At 6 weeks, the docs saw two sacs, one was empty but the other had a heartbeat. My HCG was 29,000-they said it was pretty high and that i may be having twins. I was elated. I went it for another u/s at 9 weeks. The empty sac had disappeared and the other one only measured 5 weeks, no hb. Did blood test. Went in again today for repeat blood test.The tech told me the previous results are not back but very high hcg level.not to worry. i am so confused and scared.
hello everyone, i am 40 years old with 5 children already, i was a young mom, my oldest is 25 and will be 26 in march, and the youngest will be 12 also in march, when i found out i was pregnant i was shocked, but after a while became excited, i also have 6 granchildren so the thought of being pregnant again was scary, i went to the er last night because i had some pink spotting and then brown spotting with mild cramps, they did the urine test and the blood test and both were positive. then they did the u/s both vaginally and gel on stomach and the they both came back with negative results, they could not find a sac, but my hcg levels is 4000 which is where it should be at this stage, but the dr. said that i could have miscarried, i am due to take another test on the 5th to see if the hcg levels rise, i am very scared, really wanted this baby. hope everthing is well. if someone out there has had this problem and went on to have a healthy baby please advise.....
I need some advice.  I was 8 weeks pregnant, (second pregnancy i have a little girl) i started bleeding, no cramping.  Long story short, they did a vaginal Ultrasound and found a sac but no 8 week old baby.  They said my body stopped the pregnancy.  So i am supposed to be going through the miscarriage at this moment.  My HCG levels are that of an 8 week old pregnancy.
I refused a D n C and have 2 options.  Let the miscarriage happen naturally which could take a couple of weeks or take the medicine speed up the miscarriage.
Any advice on either of those choices.  I am in no pain.  Why are my HCG still high and still have sore boobs?  How long does it take for this to be over?  I am still bleeding, loosing weight, but not sure if i should let nature take its course.
I am very realistic about this all, im not sure i could do this with such a brave face if it was not for my beautiful little girl:)
Thank you.
i would do natural i had a natural m/c at weeks in aug 07 and it's very hard but many of us have had to go through this and made i have faith you can as well keep your head high and don't give up on anything. i also had twins at 21 wks that passed away due to incompatent cervix, hardest 2 things i have ever had to go through but just have FAITH
I am 38 years old and pregnant with my first child.  I had my first vaginal sonogram at 7 weeks and was told there was a sac, but no fetus.  I took blood tests the following day - (1st blood test on 11/7 and the follow up on 11/14) and my numbers went from 38,000 to 80,000.  I am now scheduled to have another sonogram this week (one week apart from the last) and I am a wreck.  I have no cramps, no spotting and although I felt nauseus on and off for the last few weeks, I feel just about fine now.  My doctor has said that if there is no fetus now, than it is not a viable pregnancy... but I thought if that were the case, my numbers would have dropped - not doubled.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  I don't want to jump the gun - but I don't know if this next sonogram shows nothing I will be able to hope week after week and getting my heart broken.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there, my baby's fetal pole only showed up today for the first time - at 120,000 HCG
i am in a similar situation. i am calculating 12 weeks i had an u/s 3 wks ago no yolk sac, went last wk had a yolk sac, went this wk had even a bigger yolk sac still no heartbeat. so i different gyn dr was called to talk to me about getting a d & c, she decided to finally do my blood work and my hormone level was high but dr still wants the d & c. as a mother of two i have a gut feeling my baby is there.
I had my first u/scan last week at what i thought was 7 weeks and 3 days. They did a vaginal scan and found a sac and a fetus (peanut/prawn looking) but no heartbeat. They told me that everything measures 6 weeks and 4 days and that they should find a heartbeat and that my husband and i should prepare for the worst! this was a woman's imaging clinic. they suggested i go back to my GP and have blood tests. I was totally devastated and have been for over a week. my boss gave me the week off coz i was sooo very upset!

my doctor gave me 3 blood tests over 7 days and discovered that my HcG levels are increasing nicely and at this stage it is still viable.

I have a second scan scheduled for tomorrow morning and i am very nervous but i have read so many chat room comments about how other people didnt find a heartbeat till around 10 or 11 weeks. I hope this is the case and that everything is ok tomorrow. I have read so many of your stories and i want to thank you all for sharing as it has given me and my husband hope.  This is our first baby and i am 32.

I am hoping that there is a heartbeat tomorrow but if not i have decided to go elsewhere for a second opinion before i rush out and terminate. I think the people at this clinic were premature to tell us that things are not good at this stage!! Particuarly since there are so many stories on the internet where people didnt find one till 13 weeks!!

Have hope if you are going through a similar thing and dont let the doctors devastate you too early on when there maybe nothing wrong at all.
Unfortunately things didnt end well on this occasion. at the second scan they found that the sac was still growing but the fetus had died at 6 weeks.

I went from the scan to my doctor to the emergency room for a 5 hour wait for a dnc :-( it was a long and emotional day.
I just learned that I was pg last monday. I took a blood test the next day is is was 500+. I then saw my ob on thursday and he said that I was 5 wks. On saturday I had small amount of spotting and went to the ER and they took blood and my HCG was 11,200 then on monday they did another and I got the results the same day (STAT). It was 22,000. i also had a sonogram internal, and there was a sac but no yoke and no baby. i had another sonogram on monday and still the same. Doc said that there was fluid either in the uterus or outside I can;t remember but, he said that I measured 5 wks. So, he said that I am not out of the woods yet he put me on prometriumn 200mg. this is for women who have low pro levels and will help to not have a mc. it says it will make you dizzy and they were right wow. but, hopefully this will help. Im 32 with my first baby, i have ulcerative colitis so i have cramping in stomach. i have been having a little more spotting hopefully that will go away. I will have my boold drawn on wensday and friday then my next u/s will be on monday. My thoughts and prayers for all of you.
I found out i was pregnant a month ago. Shud be abt 10 wks but U/S shows 6, complication is during week 7, U/S did not detect a fetus, 5 days later another doctor did an U/S and found a small fetus with slow heart beat. having dark brown discharge with cramps every now and then for the past 3 weeks. This is my first pregnancy and am 37 yrs old so the baby means a lot for me. Read in the net, dark brown discharge is an indication for poor fetal development, is that true? I am worried! Having another U/S on wed!
ok i am suppose to be in my 8th week and my lmp was Dec 24 2009 my cycle goes about every 30 to 32 days.  The doctors arestating everything on a 28 day cycle.  My lvls are as follow on jan 30 686 on feb 2 they were 2168 on feb 7th they were 5200 and on feb 10 the were 8800 and on feb 12 they were 11000 they only see a sac that has doubled in size from the 10th to the 12th but see nothing inside.  I have a tilted uteris and have had some pick spotting but come to find out i had a yeast infection.  When i saw the doc on the 12th he said were not going to do hcg lvls anymore but i will bring you back in a week for another u/s my boobs are still tender no cramping no bleeding very rarly i get some pink but not alot to cry home too.  I am so confused i dont know what to think we had intercourse on the 7th of January and then again on the 12th 13th and 14th due to him leaving for sea.  We hardly have intercourse so i know those are the only days i could have gotten preg.  It would be the 7th if i had normal ctclyes but i dont.  I am not passing anything my uteris is getting large as i can feel it.  The doctor keeps telling me he thinks its a non viable preg.  But is questioning some active cells that were on the outside of the sac on the 10th and then were on the inside on the 12th please shed some light on this i am so confused
im a 32 yr old woman with three healthy kids and all normal births....i am now 5 and a half weeks and had an us done tuesday and we thought we seen a flutter in the sac but wasnt sure....my hcg levels were takin 2 days ago and they are at 97,000....is that too high and can somebody help me im a nervous wreck!!!!!     Angel B
I had d/c a week earlier with similar situation. Once doc said i can see 2 sac, then in other u/s said no there is on sac..first doc said can see fetal pole, but no heart beat..and referred me to some lab for detailed u/s, the next doc after reading the comments of my doc said no., there is no fetal pole.. hcg levels were really high and going fine..at last after all this torture we decided to have dnc.

Question: Why do we have such issues any reasons ...by issue I mean, only sac, no heartbeat or growth, what could be the reason.

How much r the chances to face similar situation next time.

What should be the precautions for next pregnancy after this situation
I just started my eighth week today and I'm nervous.  I went in for an u/s yesterday and Dr wasn't able to see anything. He said it might be too soon or because my bladder wasn't full.  He ordered blood work and I'm supposed to go back in a week.  
Put full confidence in the Lord not a mom but expecting to one day. My prayers are with each one of you.
I should be about 5w too.but now there telling I'm might b 2-3 weeks...omg... This is so stressing me out!!!
I've never done this before but I had an ultrasound done yesterday to determine how far along I am and there was nothing. No sac, my uterus hasn't even slightly expanded. I had a blood test done yesterday and my hcg level according to the nurse was 38,000. I should be no more than 7 weeks. I'm pretty sure it's ectopic due to all the sharp pain in my pelvic area and lower back pain...Is this normal?
I m self have high hcg at15736 but no way the can see any baby today now they want to do a surgery tommorw if u cant see a Ectopic why do surgery if nothing happen
Help me pray u all
It is possible they want to look for the embryo that is giving you the reading.  Ask them what they have in mind, why they are doing it.  You have the right to know.