Maternal & Child Community
No fetal heartbeat detectable at 5 weeks 6 days ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had my first ultrasound (with the vaginal wand) and they estimated me to be at 5 weeks 6 days. I did in vitro. They confirmed the presence of a gestational sac, yolk sac and fetal dipole, but could not detect a heartbeat. Is 6 weeks or less too soon to see this? They counted 6 weeks back from the first day of my lmp, but they thought I might be running a little small.  I am worried that something is wrong! I have my second ultrasound next Thursday, and have read that sometimes it takes up to 10 weeks to detect a heartbeat. Also, my acupuncturist recommended that I use a heating pad (on low heat) on my abdomen as a sort of "incubator". Now I am worried about the electromagnetic waves being harmful. Please advise! This is my first pregnancy, and after what we went through with IVF (a blessing, but very draining), I am about exhausted with worry! I don't want to be a basket case by the time my next ultrasound comes around!  Any advice you can give would be great! THANK YOU!
I think they usually like you a little further along to get a detectable heart beat. I know the waiting game is hard.
I hope all goes well for you.
5 wks, 6 days can be too early. And you'd be amazed the difference a week can make. Don't give up hope yet. Seeing the fetal pole is a good sign.
I got pregnant in July 2003. I also had a miscarriage in Sept. 2003. When I went to have my pap appointment a month later, to make sure all of the baby was out. It went well, and I felt so strange being there with all those pregnant women. I was ready to beat hell out of there. Before I left they wanted me to take a pregnancy test. I thought it was the craziest thing I ever heard! Whatever got me out of there and fast, I would do! Well imagine my amazement when it came up positive. (I took one  in the hospital right after my miscarriage, and it came up negative) I had lots of blood work done, and ultrasounds done with the wand. I had all of that but no heartbeat too. Talk about being STRESSED OUT TO THE MAX!!! I had to go back the next week and I prayed every 2 minutes until I went back. After the 6th week, the heartbeat is able to be heard. So just keep positive, and try not to stress too much, and pray everything will be alright. By the way, I have a gorgeous, healthy 9 mo old daughter.
I'm sorry you are going through this.

I don't think the heating pad is necessary at all--your body will keep the embryo at exactly the right temperature.  

It's impossible not to worry, but try to keep some peaceful thoughts and emotions.  Good luck to you.
Thank you all so much for replying! That really helps me a lot. I had been scrolling through the forums, and recognize some of your screen names. You all spend a lot of time helping others, and that is great!  It is truly a blessing to have other voices heard (instead of the doctor/nurse telling you casually not to worry about it). I have girlfriends who have had children, but it is nice to get advice from women who have had the same worries and concerns as I have. My mom died when I was 15, so I don't have her to turn to. Luckily, my mother-in-law is a great person, and I feel like she is my mom. However, she has a lot of health problems, so I only tell her the good news,and not the nervouse questions! I am going to be as patient as I can be, and concentrate on the rest of my family (i.e. husband, 2 dogs and 2 cats). :)
I am sure everything will be fine. Probably just to early to see. You are right, these women on here are a blessing to have around and if you ever need to come ask questions or just talk about it, feel free, we are always checking in. You are blessed to have a good relationship with your mother in law. I lost my mom 3 years ago to cancer but I was a bit older, 28. But it all hurts the same. Unfortunately, I do not have a great relationship with my mother in law. We get along but not to the point I really want to confide anything in her. So I hope all works out for you and keep in touch! Danielle
My sister had two pregnancies where they couldn't detect a heartbeat (and she was 9 weeks both times!) but she now has 2 healthy kids. Don't worry until you know for sure.
You are way to early to detect a heartbeat.  Even though sometimes it is detected, at 6 weeks your baby is only 0.3 cm.  Take a ruler out and see how tiny that it.  It is so easy to miss the heartbeat.  Hang in there.  Time will tell what is going on.  I don't know why doctors tell women this so early in their pregnancies and scare them half to death. I personally wouldn't believe any diagnosis until later weeks.  Visit this web-site for some encouraging stories while you wait this out.

http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/forums/

Carolyn,

I was wondering about your sister. The two children that she has now did not show their heartbeats until 9 weeks?  I have a friend who had this happen to her.  I get so many questions about this and refer my friends case.  I'm glad to hear more stories like this.  Especially in light of so many doctors telling patients that a heartbeat should be seen by 5 weeks.  It just isn't the norm.
Just wanted to check in. I had my second ultrasound today (7 weeks 2 days along), and the sac looked the same as it did when I first posted my message. The doctor said it was a blighted ovum, and would miscarry. He was very gentle about it. I am very upset, needless to say. We can try IVF again in another 2 months, which we will definitely do. I am heartbroken about losing this one, but I know deep in my heart it was God's will. I prayed every day for this baby to be healthy, and am still having a hard time believing this is for the best. I can't lose my faith, since that is what is keeping me moving every day of this whole journey. Please pray for me to have the strength to get through this, and that our next round is successful. In a way, I can't believe I even got pregnant after the first IVF, so I guess I don't realistically know how I was expecting to feel. Just wanted to update you all, since you have been so good about sharing your stories with me.
I really feel for you. I hope your diagnosis is better than mine. I know sometimes the doctors and ultrasonographers are wrong, but they seemed pretty sure in my case. Everything I have read indicates that it is very rare for this to happen twice. Please tell me you and DH are going to try again. We can all go through the second try together, and then it will work and we can fight over baby names! :)
I am in the exact same boat as you. I read your original post on the same day I had my U/s and was given the same diagnosis. We were the same week & day.  My deepest sympathy to you for your loss.  I still have to wait and additional week before my second u/s. It seems so far away and I have no symptoms of miscarraige (miscarriage) yet. Like you I try and hold hope for this pregnancy, but it seems unlikely it will work in my favor.  I wish you and your spouse the best of luck in your next IVF:)
Sounds great! It was rather spooky to read your post as it was like reading my on bio!  I will keep you posted on the results, not until next Thursday. I feel in my heart I know the outcome, and would probably die of cardiac arrest myself if it is different (LOL). Trying to keep my spirits up...but this is my second pregnancy in a year. last year had a tubal that went on for weeks undiagnosed. ended in a methotrexate shot. and this pregnancy was a bit of a suprise, a souvenior(?) from our vacation to Hawaii. SO it was really exciting. I am not giving up yet, will try again.
one more thing, do you know where your hcg levels were with 1st u/s and with 2nd?
mine were at 22,000 plus and thats why the dr feels there should have been fetal pulse. let me know if you had results. thanks
I'm am so stressed out.  I am a first time mother and have been told that I was pregnant with twins.  I went to the doctor yesterday and according to the doctor she saw nothing in one sac and did see an embryo in the other.  I am about 7 weeks according to them but according to my last menstrual period I am 10 weeks.  Yesterday, she freaked me out because she said that she did not see a heartbeat and that she was afraid that I had miscarried.  I am going again to get an ultrasound.   I have no cramping nor spotting...should I be worried.  I cried almost all day yesterday just thinking about it.
I am sorry you are going through this. First of all, is your cycle every 28 days? IF not then it's normal to be off on your dates.  My cycle varies 35-40 days so I ovulate a week to 10 days later.  I know your confusion on dating your pregnancy.  If you have read this thread you will see I went through similar scare. when I went back @7w 6d I did have a heart beat of 151. now I have to go for a level 2 u/s in 2 weeks due to "globular" looking fetal pole instead of linear... have no idea what this brings with it. pregnancy is SCARY! this is my 2nd time. 1st ended with ectopic last year and now this:(
Well, I went for my ultrasound yesterday and no change whatsoever.  I was very sad.   They didn't see a heartbeat and the ultrasound tech said that usually they would see at least a flicker of the heart at this stage.  I was very upset.  My other sac was empty so I am thinking that it never develope.  They have scheduled me for a D & C for tomorrow (which is quick).  I am kind of scared but I have read some stories where at this point they usually see the heartbeat.
Do you think that I should hold off on the D & C?  There was no difference in my uterus size (from my previous visit last week)when I went for my ultrasound yesterday.  I guess I just don't want to believe it and holding on to hope.
I am so sorry for you again, Only you and your Dr can decide on that.  I did not have to make that decision and don't honeslty know what I would have chose. I have read enough about both that some are able to wait it out and others have d/c for emotional as well as physical reasons. it can take a very long time on its own, in some women weeks. if there was no change then healing will probably be easier if you are not waiting around. my thoughts are with you.
I just had a trans vag ultra sound today i an 5 weeks 5 days and the doctors are not seeing a heartbeat just a yolk sac they said that everything is measuring up to the correct time and my levels are good however they are telling me to have another ultrasound tom and if there is no heartbeat they hace me schduled for a d&c at 1pm.  Im scared to death that im doiong the wrong thing..  Should i wait or should i go ahead with the surgery
Do NOT---- I repeat NOT have a D&C!!!!
At 5 weeks 6 days all I had was an EMPTY gestational sac---nothing else. I am now 35 weeks with a heathy normal boy. YOU will be 5 weeks 6 days tomorrow and they want you to have the D& C????????? DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!
Everything could be completely normal---just a little slow growing. Ultrasounds shouldn't even be given until you are at least 7 weeks along---there can be so many variables in a very early pregnancy.

PLEASE refuse----in fact don't even go back to the Dr. until you are 7 weeks. I am betting then you will see your little baby and the heartbeat.
Keep us updated.
I AM 5 WEEKS AND 4 DAYS ALONG IN MY PREGNANCY.  AT FIRST MY BREASTS WERE VERY SORE AND TENDER BUT NOW THEY DO NOT HURT AT ALL AND I HAVE BEEN HAVING PAINFUL CRAMPS (FEEL LIKE HEAVY MENSTRUAL CRAMPS) & I DO NOT EXPERIENCE MORNING SICKNESS.  THE WOMEN IN MY FAMILY HAVE A PAST OF MISCARRIAGES AND I HAVE ALREADY HAD ONE AND IT WAS VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME EMOTIONALLY.   I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH IS NORMAL OR IF I MIGHT BE EXPERIENCES ANOTHER MISCARRIAGE.
I went for my first IVF appointment yesterday were they did an untrasound and i found out i am pregnant, however i am not sure how may weeks gone i am but and trying to work it out as being 3-4 weeks.  The have told me that they cannot detect a heart beat but the is a sack.  However a week ago i botted some blood for 5 mins, nothing since.  Does this mean that i have lost my baby and am experiencing a miscarriage.  I have been asked to come back on monday for another ultra sound and they will take it from there.
i just found out i was pregnant on 8-1-07 i was told i that by now i showed be 5 weeks and 4 days.  i went to a doctor at a local hospital that did an u/s and said that they didnt see anything and stated it m,ight be etopic but they did see a possible sack full of jelly. they suggested on doing a d/c to remove the sac and send it to pathology to determine if it was a baby just not growing.  the most confusing part is i decided today to go see my previous ob and he suggested that it might just be to early, or i might miscarry but hes not sure.  he suggested we wait another week and do and u/s then.  he clearly stated its not in the tube and that i should be fine.  the crazy part is when i left my ob doc the hospital called me several times insisting they do they remove it cause i can die if its in my tubes.  i'm so confused can someone help.  i've never been through anythinbg like this before.
I am 9 weeks pregnant. We have been trying for 10 years after going THOUGH surgery to remove scar tissues from my ovaries and 6 months of clomid (fertility drugs) we stop. It has been 5 years since we stop trying and as faith would have it, we got pregnant in June 2007. I had my first u/s on 8/8 which if calculated correctly 6 - 7 weeks and down hearten to say, "NO HEART BEAT", and sack same to be empty. The doctor told me I had a chance of miscarriage a week later. She recommended I go back a week by this time nature will take it's place and miscarriage by bleeding. Nothing happened I went back on 8/16 and to my surprise, the sack grew another centimeter and the fetal grew also but still no heartbeat. I was advice to go back in another week.. WOW, talking about emotions "High/Low". I believe there is a GOD and he will handle.
I know it is some time since you posted your note on the DC so early.  I really hope you did not go through with this.  I was just under 7w and got an u/s and no heartbeat was detected but sometimes they take longer to show then others.  Many of times women don't even get u/s until how late into their pregnancy so who knows when their beats started.  I am furious that a dr. would suggest this and i don't even know much about this stuff but i think that is obsurd!  I pray everything worked out for you and i pray everyday for prego women due to all  the stress and all.  Very tough to not worry when you are prego.
Hello I am new on here, my first time today... All of the stories have me praying and hoping that it all works out for all of us.... I went to the dr. 08/19/07 and found out I was pregnant... I went back on 08/20/2007 to get my blood work done confirm my pregnancy and I was informed that there was o heartbeat... My lmp was in 07/07... there are not sure how far I am.... I went back 08/28/2007 to get my pap done and still no heartbeat.. I came home and about an hour later saw a little blood.... i went to er... they did an u/s still no heartbeat and they told me that I they are certain that I will miscarry....Well I go to the dr. tomorrow @9:30 am and they want to discuss some options and a possibel D&C... my husband and i are upset and not sure what to do... I guess my main concern is how soon can a heartbeat be detected...
I am going through the same thing. I wnt to ER yesterday was told I am around 6 weeks. No heart beat!  I was having severe lower abd. pains but not bleeding . She told me that my body hasn't recognized that I have miscarried yet? I am usually not regular with my cycle so they say that I might still get a heartbeat as they really cant determine actual dates. LMP was 7-11 or there about, ovulation 10-14 days after that so actual fetal age would be around 5-6 weeks. I am holding out and seeing if they can measure the fetal pole. If it grows ...then .........possible that I didn't miscarry. HOWEVER, I can not explain the horrific pain that sent me to the ER yesterday??  I would say that I did miscarry but Im not going to take any other measures until we are 100% certain!!
I completely know how you feel like I sd i go to the dr tomorrow and i am not sure if i should listen to them or hold out and let God work his miracle..... I hope things work out for you as well... my lmp was in June and they are not sure how far I am .... last night at the er they only told me that there was no heartbeat which was the same that I heard at the dr. office yesterday..... I am staying prayerful and reading some of the other statements from above does give me hope and relief that there may still be a chance my baby will make it
Hello everyone, im new to this site. But I must say I really enjoy it.  It nice to know that somebody understands what I have been through. And I can total understand where some of you ladies are coming from.  I myself had two miscarriages. My first in May 2007. And then my second in June 2007. I was devasted after my second miscarriages. So I knew I couldn't go through the pain no more so I went to the doctor office to talk to my doctor about to weeks ago so that I could get back on birth control. And then two days I found out I was pregnant again.  My first appt is next week on Sept 7. And I'm so scared.  But so far everything seems to be going great. And I have this good feeling that everything is going to be okay this time.  So for those you ladies that have been through this have faith and don't give up. It will happen one day.  So try to stay positive okay :) keep me posted. And I will let you know about my appt on Friday.
Take care ladies.....Smoochies
Congraluations! I am sorry about your loose. I wish you the best of luck this time and I will be praying for you.....
Well I went to the dr. today and they still did not hear a heartbeat.... thanks to reading the above statements i did not let them talk me in to a D&C... the dr ask me did my breast still hurt and did i still get tired i told him yes but i do not get nauseaat this time i do still have indigestion... he sd that those were all good signs... then he read my u/s info that was faxed over from the er and then proceeded to tell me that the baby was dead per the u/s and i informed him that u/s are not alsways accurate and they do inform people of the wrong sex  and things of that nature... so i go back on 9/6 and i also made an appt with another dr office to get a second opinion..... I am a little confused b/c he informed me that maybe i am not as far as they think i am  and just cannot hear a heartbeat and he also told me that i do not have an urinary tract infection and i was told that i had one in er on tues. night.... please keep me in your prayers... and if anyone has suggestions thank you  i am all ears........
I went to u/s to day and thought they would say that there was no heartbeat as they told me in the ER Tuesday morning. Well, I am 6.4 weeks and today we got a heartbeat!!! I was in tears! We are not out of the water yet but we are still treading. It just goes to show that they are not right about dates or when exactly a heartbeat should be detected! I am going to pray a lot...one day at a time.
Congraluations!!!!!!!!I am happy for you......I will be praying with you as well... This goes to show that there is a God and he does sit high and look low... he has already began to answer your prayers....
I am about 9 weeks according to the dr. and they can hear no heartbeat... my question to you is even though they didn't hear a heart beat did you still have signs of pregnancy such as tenderness of the breast, nausea....
Always wait until around 7 or 8 weeks before getting ultrasounds done. Heart beats can be difficult to detect any earlier! I miscarried twice before I had my first baby. It was frustrating and scary seeing as how my periods were always regular (like to the time of day I can predict it!) and I thought I would never have a hard time becoming pregnant. Well, the first two that died were exactly the same...between 6 weeks and 8 weeks. My doctor did tests, like my thyroid and blood type, and when all that came back fine he advised me to go on Pergesterone. It is the hormone that helps you keep the baby, help it grow, and is what the placenta produces to take over. Well, I firmly believe that it is what gave me my first child! I would advise anyone who is having miscarriages or IFV's to take it the minute you can find out if your pregnant! Just to ensure your body isn't low of this very important hormone. Even if you dont think that could be the case and your hormone levels are fine it wont hurt you to take it! PLEASE get your hormone levels checked! It could be as easy as that! The pergesterone that I take is a suppository that I place vaginally twice a day (in the morning and at night) and I just elevate my hips for like 15 minutes. I don this until I am 3 months and then I dont have to do it anymore. I am now 5 weeks along with our second baby and am doing it again! I hope this helped someone! Just ask your dr. about it.
Please get second opinions if you ever doubt what your dr is saying! And if you think that you are still pregnant than just wait and time will tell...dont feel rushed to do anything that your not ready to do! I dont discourage anyone from a D&C because I had two and they were just fine. For me, when we knew the baby had no heartbeat for sure, I waited to miscarry on my own and then hemorraged really bad! That and sometimes it takes like 4 weeks to miscarry and then you start playing mind games like...is the baby still alive? It is very emotionally draining! So D&C are a good way to just find closure so you can try again. I know this wasnt a very happy thing to talk about but I just wanted everyone to know that D&C's arent the scary thing everyone makes them out to be.
it  possible to have all the signs of pregnancy with a condition called a "blighted ovum".  The baby stops growing due to chromosomal abnormalities early in the pregnancy, but the placenta and uterus continue on , oblivious to that fact.  This is one of the reasons HCG levels continue to rise.  The body reabsorbs the fetal cell cluster.  The best indicator of a blighted ovum is an US that shows no fetal pole.  
My HCG numbers aren't doubling like they should, but they are increasing.  Right now according to my IVF doctor I am at week 6, with hcg 4129 a two days before the hcg was 3275.  My ultrasound showed a sac, but that was all.  My doctor says that my next ultrasound (one week) at week 7 should show the fetal pole with a heartbeat.  My only pregnancy syptoms (symptoms) are sore breasts, and having less energy.  

Two questions:  How am I at week 6 if the transfer was 8/10?

If there is no fetal pole or heartbeat, at my next ultrasound does that mean the pregnancy is over?

Trying to stay relaxed and positive,
anxiously waiting!

im not sure about how ivf works, but i do know when you concieve (conceive) "naturally" you are already like 3 weeks pg. (bc they go back to the first day of your lmp) if that helps at all. hope all turns out well for you!
Hi all,
Well I am perplexed.
I had blastocyst transfer on 16th August so that makes me 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant today .
When I went for u/s today, they could see a sac, yolk but not a definite heart beat . they have called me next week for u/s. is it normal or is something wrong.
I am so sorry for all of these losses experienced. I can relate to all of you. I just had my 10th miscarriage in 3 years. My most recent being June 2007, and Aug 2007. My August pregnancy came as a suprise, as AF had not shown after my June m/c. This past pregnancy looked promising. I was put on Pregesterone Suppositories to maintain the pregnancy, and they worked to well. At my 6wk scan it showed a heartbeat of only 106bpm. The baby measured 6 wks and 2 days, and the ges.sac measured 6wk 3 days. I was booked for a repeat scan 2 weeks later for an 8 wk scan. They found that the baby had not grown past 6wk 3 days, and that the gest sac. was only 7wks 1 day. The heartbeat had also stopped. My hcg numbers were 4000 at apx 5wks, 7000 48hrs later, 9000 a week later and 24000 by the time i had the 8wk scan. I had miscarried again...This one has been difficult for Dh and I, because it was the first time we saw a hb in our 3 yrs of TTC, we needed to do a d&c because the fertility specialist is lost as to why we keep having recurrent losses. I am so sad that we are all related by these horrible sinarios. I pray that we all get to become parents soon!. Good luck, thanks for listening, and take care :)
hiya im havin my 1st child i am only 17 tho and i have a cyst on my ovaries which i have had 4 yrs the nurse at the hospital says its fine but im worried that it will effect my pregnancy nd the baby also she thinks im less than 6wks and cudnt c a heartbeat so i have 2 go back on the 1st ov october but she thought she saw a little heartbeat but then she cudnt see much becasue i only had a half full blader.

should i be worried?

wb please Tasha x

I am into my 4th week and 2 days back I had to go on a road trip.The travel up and down would have lasted 5-6 hrs and the roads were slightly bumpy and there were a lot of jerks through the journey.I had not anticipated such a poor road otherwise I would not have taken this trip in the first place. Now for the past 2 days I have not experienced any stomach pain or any other symptoms(no spotting, bleeding etc..), but what is worrying me is that I used to have sever itching on my abdomen, however post my trip I have not experienced any abdominal itching.....I am really worried if all is well inside...Any advise for me ?
hello, i dont know how this works bit i have a que. iv been  bleeding 4 a week, no cramps, did an ultra sound there was a yolk sak thats all. my breasts are o longer hurting? i wonder if i am about to have or iv had a miscarraige (miscarriage)? what do u think
Just wanted to make a suggestion for any IVF  parents2B . Did IVF once and luckily it worked out for me..I Would like to share all the tricks that may have made it work. I did moxibustion at an accupuncturist (accupuncture works just as well). Also had a massage one weekly leading up to the time to help with stress. Took baby aspirin daily too in case of any immune factors since I had endo before. Now my baby is two...did progesterone injections then suppositories....just want to tell you all that you can do it but pull out all the stops including visualization and faith. Lie on your back for two days after embies are put in. Good luck to all..The odds are in your favor for you to have your babies even if you give up it may happen once the stress goes.
I just found out I am pregnant with twins had a vaginal u/s done on 2/12 they told me they measure at 8 weeks which I thought I was between 10-12 weeks they found no heartbeat in either one. They wanted to schedule a D & C but I refuse, I have no signs of miscarrying nor have I lost any symptoms of being pregnant. Any advice or similar stories is greatly appreciated.
With light spoting and the didn't a over the tummy ultra sound and didn't see the baby then did a vaginal ultra sound and didn't find a heartbeat, could it be she to early to dectect the heartbeat. Last night they told her she had a miscarrige. Could they be wrong? she had her last period in early Dec. it now middle of FEB.

I went to see my doc last friday, as per my LMP i'm 8weeks plus but doc said my actual pregnant is 6weeks plus only.

Something really freak me out is that we can see the bb heart beating but cannt hear the heart beat..he said the bb mayb cannot survive..my god.

we are going scanning again on friday, he said if friday still cant detect, than we may have to consider terminating the bb. But i'm worried as something is still beating there.

what if its the wrong moves???
today i went to the doctor for an ultrasound and they too said i was 5 weeks 6 days like the first lady who wrote the post. Now my concern is, i already have 4 children ranging from ages 2-12 and never had a miscarriage or complications of any kind through either pregnancy and no history in the family. They see the sac, we see the fetal pole but there is not a heartbeat present. Do any of you think that maybe there machines need to be upgraded? And like they've told some of you; I'm going to wait a week and see if i miscarry. now when i went to the er when i first became pregnant the doctor there said that it was to early to tell anything.. Humm.... Instead of getting stressed about this, I'm going to find answers, cause reading all of your concerns and questions, there has got to be someone out there well educated in this area to give some better answers
I am 5 weeks 6 days preg and 40 years of age.  Went for Ultrasound and no heartbeat however the HCG level has risen appropriately.  I am supposed to go back later this week for another U/S.  The Doctors made it seem as if we should have already seen the heartbeat.  Have had 2 previous miscarriages in past year.  Hopefully this one will turn out okay.  
Boy do I know how you feel. I have lost 2 in the past year and a half. They were 6 months apart. I have an 18 year old and also had a miscarriage when she was 4. I have been on no birth-control since she was born. I ovulated the first week in April and I already have a positive result. I will be 40 in June and just found out that I am pregnant. I went to the doctor today. My HCG was 191 and my progesterone was 60. I think the numbers are good, but I go back on Friday for another HCG test. I just hope the numbers have doubled. I have ultimate faith in God that everything is going to be wonderful. How has everything turned out for you? GREAT I hope.
hi everyone I have been reading all posts and hope all of us get babies soon.
Went for my ultrasound doc said it was 6 weeks 4 days only sac was seen with no heartbeat or pole.after reading all posts i have decided to wait & watch .i really believe in god and am praying it works.I got IVF in may and have been married for over 10 yrs.
I had an ultrasound last wed and i was 6weeks  4 days  the ultrasound didnt pickup a heart beat and i have to go back tomorrow i have three chldren that i didnt have any problems with i'm really scared as if they dont find a heart beat i have to have a D&C when they measured last weeks they sad it was 0.4cm but then i was told about 1/2 hour later that they can measure the edge of the sack sometmes by mistake does anyone know up to how long it can be before the heart can start the ultrasound guy sad that they can normally hear a fetal heart beat at 5 weeks and that my baby didn't stick i read further up that there was alady that ssters babies were 9 weeks before they heard a heart beat any advce would be good PLEASE ............
hi I am also worried regarding the same status of my ultrasound but hoping for the best as everyone has been telling me that sometimes beat is detected later in certin women.
don't worry just be positive
I too am really worried. The first day of my last period was on the 11th of May so i thought i was roughly 8 weeks. I had been experiencing some tenderness in my tummy so as a routine check my GP sent me to the hospital to check that i wasn't having an ectopic pregnancy. I had an abdo scan and they could only find the sack so they suggested i have a vaginal scan which i did. At this stage they found the sack, the yolk and the baby measuring 4mm with no heart beat. They suggested that i was only 5 or 6 weeks but i am not sure how i can be.

They have scheduled another scan for next week but when the nurse reviewed me after the scan she said that it was likely that i would miscarry the baby before then. I am absolutely petrified and do not know how i am going to cope with the wait. Is there anyway my baby will be ok?

I have had one previous pregnancy and that was straight forward and normal, but throughout my son constantly measured very small and still to this day at 2, he isn't even on the growth charts as he is tiny. Could this be the same or am i just kidding myself?
Hi...
I just found this forum today... wonder if I could get some insight.
I found out on June 20th by home test that I was pregnant with #4. Let me back up a bit though...
My periods have been about 29 days apart - but since we weren't planning on more children, I haven't paid attention. Since my period returned afyer my 3rd baby was born, the have lasted a good 10 days every month!
Anyhow - I don't know when my last period was... I was guessing the 11th of May - but, that seems early to me because when I started spotting on the 9th, I thought is seemed early for my period to be coming.
Anyhow... the last week of June, I went in because I was spotting to get confirmation of the pregnancy. They did blood work to check my hormone levels - it was Wed. then again on Fri to see if they increrased. My levels were high enough on Friday, June 27th that they did an ultrasound to see where the pregnancy had implanted. Everything looked good and they figured I was about 5 weeks - although no fetal pole was detected - just the sac, etc.
My next appointment was last Thur - the 11th. The u/s machine monitor wasn't working right so I only got to see on a super small screen... but the doctor said he saw a flicker (heartbeat) and measured me to be 6 weeks 4 days.
The spotting has continued since June 9th still...
Two days ago the brown spotting seemed to increase some and was turning a bit pink. Still not like a period - but definitely more than before. So I called me OB and went in for a scan today. She only saw my heart beat (pulse) not the baby's and measured me at 6 weeks even. She says I'm going to miscarry. But - to be sure, I have another u/s scheduled for tomorrow w/ a better machine. But she says the dates don't match up.
I'm trying to figure this all out...
If I had a home test on June  20th that came back positive - she assumes that I would hace to have been at least 2 weeks along then. That would put me at 5 1/2 weeks now. Is it possible that the u/s last week was off and really only showing MY pulse (like today)... and that it is just too early? I mean the measurements would be a week and a half off from last weeks u/s - plus, don't know if there would be a fetal pole that early either (which he did measure). Anyhow - any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! thx!
hi everyone i'm new to this community, but i am having the same problem as most of you are. i am 9 wks preg with my fourth child i went to have my ultrasound on 7/29/08 and they saw the fetus but detected no heartbeat. the dr. told me that i would miscarry soon he didn't even suggest that i have a second opinion. i don't feel any different i still have all of my symptoms and i'm not having any cramping or bleeding, i never had an ultrasound that early with my other children so i don't know what to do. i was going to wait and see if anything happens by next week if not then i will go and get another u/s. did my hcg levels yesterday and they were165,225 also the u/s tech didn't do a transvag ultrasound but the normal one. should i be worried or should i just wait. i have faith that everything will work out like its supposed to but anyone that has been through the same thing would be helpful. the baby measured where it supposed to.
just to give and update to my story. i first posted on here on 07/31/2008 at 9wks with no fetal hb seen on abdominal u/s.  it has been a week and still nothing has happened. hcg levels on the 30th were 165,225 had them redone on the 1st and they were 138,129. i know in my heart that it isn't good news but that doesn't make me feel any better. so i guess my question is how long does it take to have a miscarriage the natural way, because i don't feel any different, or should i just get a d/c. i was going to get a second u/s just to be sure but i don't know if there is any need since my levels dropped. anyone with some advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance for your answers.
Hi there. Sorry to read about your sad news. You must be very anxious and upset right now.
I think you know in your heart that it isn't good news, and as all of these stories testitfy women realy do know their bodies best.
I suffered a missed miscarriage about 6weeks ago, although I knew something was wrong and suspected i was becomeing  less symptomatic, it took 4weeks for me to miscarry fully. The hormaone levels need to drop before your body can do so. I am glad that I was able to miscarry naturally although it was an extreamely distressing experience. I know people who have had d&c's who say that it was benificial in terms of shortening the period of distress and with managing your hormones.

Can i recommend a book to you. I was lent a copy by a woman at work who had also suffered a recent miscarriage (we are both nurses) it was extreamly useful. I just wanted to find out as much as possible about what was happening and what was going to happen as possible. It's called 'Miscarriage:What every woman needs to know. A positive approach.' and it was written by Professor Lesley Regan who ran the recurrent miscarriage clinic at St Mary's hospital London. It's an excellent book and itshould help you get some reliable, evidence-based inormation to help you understand what has happened.
Good luck!
After reading all of these comments, I'm not feeling so hopeful. My last period was on June 5, and it is now Aug 6. I am supposed to be 9 weeks, but when I went in for an ultrasound today, the baby only measured almost 6 weeks. They saw a sac, and I believe a pole, but there was no heartbeat. I kept asking if my baby was alive, but they wouldn't give me a yes or no. They also suggested that maybe I am not as far along as I thought, but I don't see how thats possible with my symptoms and 3 posititve pregnancy tests. I have been so stressed out, and yesterday I began spotting and today bleeding and cramping. The Dr. said there was more blood than normal, but that the cervix is closed, also, my levels were supposedly normal. I have to go back in two days to get more blood work to see if my levels drop. This is my second child, and with my first I had no problems. I am so upset, and was so looking forward to having this baby. What is most upsetting is I feel like they aren't being truthful with me. I know God can work miracles, but if my baby is already gone then I wish they would just flat out tell me. Has anyone else had this happen, and if so, what was the outcome?
Hi there.
Hope you are doing ok today.
Recognise a lot of what you are saying as being familiar. I had a missed miscarriage only 4 weeks ago now. (thought i was nine weeks, scan showed 5week old sac. Told may have got dates wrong, miscarried 4days later)
I believe healthcare professionals are cagey and avoid giving definatives because there is so much uncertainy surrounding this area.
Every woman is different. It seems every woman's experience of miscarriage is unique, although it does not make it any easier.
The worst thing about this is that you are in limbo. Perhaps part of you has already accepted this is not going to work out the way that you hoped, but you cannot start the grieveing process yet beacuse there is stilll after all a glimmer of hope that cant be ignored.
What you described sounds like a missed abortion (if you really were nine weeks) or a threatened abortion if you are six weeks, but are experiencing significant bleeding and cramping. The fact that you cervix remains closed means that it not an 'inevitable' abortion and therefore there is still hope of a positive outcome. That is why no matter how desperate you are to be given the answers there is not a healthcare professional that will tell you certainly either way, because no matter what they think may be going on, they would not want to be wrong about a thing like this.
You may go back in a few days to find that your levels have dropped or stayed the same (suggesting that the pregnancy has ended or is no developing as it should.) Or that they have significantly increased suggesting that you are just one of many women who experience significant bleeding in pregnancy and go on to have healthy babies. Or it may just be that these extra few days are just long enough for nature to take its course and for your miscariiage to complete itself.

Im sorry that you have such an uncertain time ahead of you. Please keep us updated on how it all works out for you. Fingers crossed x
Thank you for responding, it helps to hear from others who have gone through similar situations. I knew when I had the ultrasound in my heart that the baby was already gone. I woke up this morning and after avoiding going to the bathroom all morning, I finally started passing clots (or possibly tissue) and slimey red blood. I'm heartbroken, but mainly feel numb. I'm most devestated because my 3 year old son was so excited to be a big brother, and we had already bought things for the baby he had picked out...it makes it so much harder! Now I am at the point where I don't know if I should just wait and let everything happen on its own, or if I should get a D & C. I really don't want to be put to sleep, but I want to make sure everything comes out so future pregnancies aren't jeopordized. How long do you have to wait to try again after having a D & C? What causes a missed abortion? With my son I had no problems at all, thats why I'm so confused with this one. I'm almost too scared to even want to try again, because I don't want to go through this again. It has truly been the worst week of my life, and I know its not going to get any better. What makes it worse is that we had planned to take my son to Kings Island and an Indoor Waterpark for the week-end, and now I don't know if I'll be able to go. Is it possible I can still go? I'm just so confused.
Im very sad for that this has happened.
I know you must be very upset and disapointed. Firstly I think you really need to talk to a healthcare professional about your list of questions. It might help if you copy them down from above so that you remember what it is that you wanted to ask.
You are bound to feel disapointed for your son, you have experienced a real loss, try not to over think things if you can. It will all be very emotionally painful at the moment. Believe me it gets much easier (im 6weeks in and i feel like a different person) and don't underestimate the effects of the pregnancy hormones compicating things even further. Try to take care of yourself as best as you can right now and then you can make plans for the future when you feel better.
If you are hoping to avoid surgery speak with your medical team (are you Uk?) they can arrange an ultrasound scan, maybe 48hours after the start of the significant blood loss and they can determine whether or not a Dand C is necessary, If you have passed all the significant clots/Tissues then it may not be needed and therefore can be avoided without future pregnancies being jeopardised.
As for missed abortions it seems, (from what i have read) that sometimes it takes the body a while for the hormones to drop and the body to expel the pregnancy. I dont know why? It doesn't mean you wont have healthy pregnancies in the future and once you feel better it shouldn't stop you from trying again. Medical advice varies from 1-3months wait before resuming trying. But as you will see on this website, plenty of women try again as soon as they decide they are ready. It is normal that you should be anxious about trying again, it is a very frighteneing experience, when your body normalises you may feel different so dont worry about it now.

I found it helpful to do something to help me acknowledge the loss of the baby (because no matter how early the pregnancy you wil have imagined it as a baby, a sibling for your son, and therefore the loss is significant) We had a memorial tree planted in a conservation forest (nothing expensive, about £15 but helped me to mark the event)

Expect bleeding for 2/3weeks after (even with a d&c) maybe even longer, though not of the same intensity. So you may not be able to take your son swimming this weekend, unless there is someone who can take him in the water while you watch? But really you should make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to recover and make allowances for the fact that you will be tired and upset, your son will understand if you explain it to him in terms he understands.
When My sister in law told her children (4girls under 7) that her pregnancy had ended she was suprised by their lack of disapointment (Mummy had a baby in her tummy and it died... Cool i cant wait to tell everyone at school!) Dont understand the resiliance of children.
Take care of yourself x
I agree that 6 weeks is way to early to detect a heartbeat. When I went in for my first OB check up I was 7 weeks along according to my LMP and I asked my OB to listen for  a heartbeat. She wouldn't do it because she didn't want me to worry if we didn't hear it. She made me wait until 12 weeks at my next check up and there was a strong heartbeat.
I just wanted to give an update on my situation. I had decided to go ahead with trip with my family, but we forgot the camera. I came back in to get it and I started bleeding, like I had peed on myself. I went to the bathroom and heard a splash, and was convinced it was my baby. I was absolutely horrified, and would not move for over an hour. There was blood everywhere! I called the ER and they told me to come in. I also called all of my friends who had experienced miscarriages before, which helped a lot.. they knew exactly what I was feeling. I went to the ER that I had gone to previously this week, but after waiting for over an hour, I left and went to the hospital where my son was delivered. When I went into triage, they took me straight back to my room. It was horrible because I had to lay on bed pads and just bleed! I forgot to mention that my husband tried to find the baby in the toilot, but it was only blood clots. My cervix is still closed, the baby is now measuring 5 weeks 2 days which I should be almost 10 weeks. There is only a sac of fluid, and it is VERY low. The doctor told me the baby is stillborn, and sent me home to pass. I go back for bloodwork today, and then on Tuesday I go to an OBGYN. I honestly am going to insist on a D & C. I am not emotionally able to having my baby fall out of me. I asked the Dr. what to do if it did, and he said to give it a proper burial at sea. I believe that is very cruel! They gave me Lortabs, but I refused to take them because I HATE to feel loopy.I asked if I could just take Advil, but he said its not a good idea to chance it in the first trimester. Its like they keep going back and forth, your baby is dead, but yet you still have to act like your pregnant. Its too hard to deal with! I feel so sorry for any other women who have to go through this! When I pass clots there is horrible labor pain and I can feel the clots moving down, its awful! When the Dr showed me how large the sac and I guess placenta will be, I knew I would not be able to bear it. With my son, I had a c-section and was asleep, so I didn't have to go through the bleeding and such. Please just keep me in your prayers. Good luck to everyone and I hope we all having beautiful healthy babies in the future, and care free pregnancies!
How awful for you. I think the healthcare professionals you have encountered have underestimated the grief you are feeling and have not treated you with the sensitivity you deserve. I hope that you get your D&c as soon as possible and you can begin to start getting over this.
just wanted to let some people know that I went for an ultrasound today (1st pregnancy) and according to my lms, I am 6 weeks 5 days. My ultrasound said I am 5 weeks 5 days. We DID detect a fetal heartbeat (looked like a flutter on the screen). It IS possible for the baby to have a heartbeat at 5 weeks but when I went in today, they didn't think my baby would have a heartbeat already and weren't going to check at all. They checked for my curiosity sake!!
Thursdy of last week my husband and I went in for our first U/S. By my last period I thought I should be 8 weeks and the tech said around 6. She saw a sac and a fetal pole but no heartbeat detected yet. I had a miscarriage about 6 months ago and this completely broke my heart. I went and had my HCG and Progestrone levels checked two weeks ago and they were excellent the doctor said. So going in and hearing her say I was two weeks behind and a possible miscarriage was horrible. THey took more blood work to see if my HCG had dropped. I had to wait 24 hrs to get the results. Now they say that my HCG was over 200.000 and that I'm either having twins or a MOLAR Pregnancy. I had never heard of it before. So now I'm going back for another U/S Tuesday to figure out what's going on. I'm so hoping for twins but I am already preparing myself for the worst.  I looked up what a molar pregnancy would look like on a US and mine looked nothing like it. Has anyone had a Molar pregnancy before and if so how did you deal with it. I read that if you experience a molar that you can't try again for one year. I  guess it only happens in like 1in 1000 pregnancies and usually to teens and women over 40. I'm only 30. I guess all we can do is pray! Also do you think it would be possible to be pregnant with twins and no heartbeat show up if I was really only 6 weeks??
Today is my first day to join. Here is my story: I have a 9 year old daughter. My husband and I have been trying for another baby for about 7 years. One year ago we decided to try IVF. It failed. We had our hoped up and boy was that a tuff one. After it failed we decided that we were going to let nature run it's corse. If we didn't get pregnant it wasn't meant to be. Now after I have stopped trying and gave up I am between 5 & 6 weeks. Last Friday we went in for a ultrasound & they couldn't see a heartbeat. All of your stories have really helped me keep positive. Although after an IVF fails you feel like nothing will ever go good for you again. It's horrible. I am so sorry for what each of you are going through & I will keep you in my prayers that all good things will come your way. Is it just me or is the waiting the most stressful thing ever. Have a good day! :-)
Britsmommy
I know how you feel, I had a very slight bleed myself yesterday at 6 and a half weeks (I thought) and went for a scan today to make sure my baby was ok but got a big fright when she said there was no heart beat just a sac and yoke.  The girl said she didn't think I was as far gone as I thoughand was I sure of the dates. My last period was the 21st of December and they want me to wait another 13 days for another scan. I am cracking up.  It took us 2 years to get pregnant and I was on clomid and just about to start IVF.  I really don't know what I would do if I lost this baby.  Going for bloods tomorrow.  If the egg and sac are there and I don't bleed again do you think I'll be ok.  I find reading everyone elses comments very helpful, it makes me feel like this is not abnormal and just something that might happen.  I have tenderness of the breasts but no sickness yet just exhausted tired and a few headaches..
Hi,Its my first time to join this community,I am also 6 wks and 4 days according to the u/s and having been so depressed because yesterday i went to my 2nd time u/s and the Dr. told me that she cannot detect any heartbeat,and so i'm freaking out and that leads me to saw your comments here,and made me strong to hold on,not go to and have my scheduled D & C,I just hope for the best and that my baby will have his heartbeat soon..I hope things will be alright for all of us and our babies..
I just found out 2 days ago my baby's heart stoped beating.Everything was going great! I am in perfect health.I just don't understand.The doctor don't have an answer.Nobody does.I still want to know WHY?At ultrasound it showed that the baby developed great,the sac measured the right size....everything was good,I am going for d&c monday,but before i will i want to ask one more time for another ultrasound...for my peace of mind.Maybe,just maybe something happened that day and they culdn't hear..i don't know..it happened before.Or maybe i am not that far that i think i am,maybe i ovulated later in my cycle.I don't know...
How do you go on with your life?How do you keep your eyes dry,when i can't stop crying?How can i start to live my life again when everywhere i look i see a pregnant woman,a baby,a comercial with gerber food,toys or other baby stuff.Than is the birth control...Sad...Some woman have babies and they don,t want them.The abuse the kids,even kill their own kids.Others are pregnant and they use drugs,they drink,smoke do all the bad stuff and still give birth to healthy babies.And i did everything right and my baby died.Makes me so angry!!!Why?Why,can't woman who wants kids can't have any?Life it so unfair!!!I just wish i can go on...At least try to,but right now i just can't.My husband is so great.He is my rock and he is just as hurt as i am,but he dosen't show.We cryied toghether tuesdat when we got the news,but now he is strong for me.I love him so much.He is great!We will try again soon as i recover from this ordeal.
I wish all of you the best!!!
Don't worry, girl! I went when I was 5 weeks and 3 days...no heartbeat..
then I went when I was 6 weeks...no heartbeat...then 8 weeks and I finally saw the heartbeat! Keep your head up and Pray for the best!

:D.

:D.
I was told I am 6 weeks pregnant but my lmp was the 5 of Jan my hcg levels are going up and I have to do blood test every week to make sure my hcg levels stay up.Just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and if so what was the out come?
I had my first ultrsound today I am supposedly 6 weeks pregnant today. I am measuring at 5 weeks 2 days. I am sooooo hoping that I am wrong about my dates or I ovulated later. I had a miscarriage in November and I don't know if i could go through it again. I guess I just needed to vent to women who know what I am going through. I even switched doctors because my old doctor jumped right to a possible tubal pregnancy. I am going out of my mind with worry.......
Hi I am today 5w 5d but I have an u/s 2 days ago the see the sac but no baby they think that I am may be to early i am so scare i want too much this baby they told me that they going to do another u/s in 2 week soI think the only think that I have left is pray that my baby is ok and grow perfect
I had two miscarriages, then I gave birth to my on my third pregnancy. He is 15 months old, and I am pregnant again. With my son, I had my first ultrosound at 5 weeks 5 days, they told me that they saw absolutely nothing. I went back for the 2nd at 7 weeks 5 days, I saw a beautiful tiny baby with strong heartbeat. So, don't worry if they saw nothing before 7 weeks.
With this pregnancy, I spotted three times before I was 6 weeks, but blood test showed hcg is at good level. At 6 weeks 1 day, I had my 1st ultrosound, and I saw my baby's heartbeat, but didn't hear it, don't know if the tech person really knows how to operate the machine, waiting for 2nd ultrosound next Thursday.
From my two miscarriages experience, I don't suggest D/C. I was naturally miscarried for both about one week after the diagnosis. I recovered physically fairly quick. I heart that D/C could leave a scar on the liner, and cause problems on the later pregnancy.
Also, I was on Progesterone with my son, and now again. I really believe it, and I believe that both of my miscarriages were caused by insufficient progesterone.
I am 31yrs old and just found out I was pregnant. I went to my first u/s today and I was told that there was no heart beat. I'm 5 weeks and 3 days. Being my first pregnancy I'm really worried. I have a 2nd u/s next week I hope everything goes well.
I everyone! I just want to share with you hope. Please, I know it is so hard to think the worst, and to stay up all night crying and worrying about what is happening inside your body. I know it is overwhelming. Let me tell you my story. I found out I was pregnant, and I couldn't be any happier, my husband and I had been wanting this for a long time. At first, I felt pregnant, my breasts were sore, I found I was way more tired than usual and that I was more hungry aswell. I went to the doctor, and did the blood test, came back a few days later and confirmed I was pregnant. Two days before my scheduled u/s, I started to have discharge; it started out as a faint, brown discharge that I saw only when I would wipe, later that night, it was more of a thick, stringy discharge. I thoughr for sure I was having a miscarriage. I cried the whole night. I went for my u/s today, and had prepared myself for the worst. They did the ultrasound, and they found a yolk sac, but were not sure if there was a baby inside. So they did a transvaginal u/s, and they found the yok sac, with the baby inside. We could even see the flickering of the baby;s beating heart. Based on the u/s technician's measurements, I am 5 1/2 weeks pregnant. I was so shocked when I saw that beating heart. I know I'm not out of the woods, but I do have hope. They told me that many women have discharge during early pregnancy, and that it cannot always be explained. The U/S technician told me that if it is meant to be, than god will see that it happens, and if it doesn't happen, then it just wasn't meant to happen. My advice to all you pregnant moms-to-be out there; don't lose hope and never assume the worst. Have faith and believe.
I am 6 weeks and 5 days today.  I went in on the day I turned 6 weeks to confirm pregnancy.  My dr. said we would go ahead and do an ultrasound but we may or may not see anything.  The tech was not there, so the dr. did the ultrasound and didn't see anything.  She then did a sonogram(vaginal) and we saw a little something in the sak... but no heartbeat.  I go back tomorrow (at 6 weeks 6 days) for another ultrasound and the u/s tech will be there... I am hoping for the best and have been praying so hard.  Any words of wisdom???  Was it probably just to early to tell?  My cycle is actually 30 days... so I don't know that they knew that.  Also, I am having all of the preg. symptoms>>>  So Scared!
I was 5 weeks 6 days when I had my ultrasound a few days ago and I was told that they detected a heartbeat, but it was faint. I have another ultrasound appointment scheduled in 3 weeks, and by then my physician told me that he would like to see my baby's heartbeat pickup, or I could lose my baby. So I am really worried too, I was a basket case when I was first told this, I couldn't stop crying. I've had a miscarriage once before, and I don't think I couldn't handle the pain of having another one. I've been praying for myself alot since my last ultrasound, so I'll add you to my prayers. Good luck!
The same thing happened to me. I was told when I first went to a health clinic after testing positive that I was 8 weeks & 1 day and I was due February 11th. By the time I had a scheduled ultrasound I thought I was 11 weeks along, But once the ultrasound was done, my physician told me that my baby was not as big as it should be at 11 weeks. I was told that my uterus may have just stopped growing or there could be a miscalculation of duedates, but nobody really knew for sure. I had a follup ultrasound the next day in which I was told that by their measurements I was about 5 weeks & 6 days, which was just a few days ago. I am now 6 weeks & 2 days if their measurements are correct. A faint heartbeat was detected, but apparently the heartbeat needs to pickup by the time I have my next appointement in 3 weeks or I could lose my baby according to what I was told. I have been pretty worried, but I have heard a few similar stories that reassured me that I am not alone and that there are healthy babies out there that started out just like mine. So now I feel alot more at ease, and even though I haven't had my confirmation appointment that my baby is okay yet, I have a feeling that he/she is just fine because I have had no signs of miscarriage or any reason to believe that I'm carrying an unhealthy baby. I may be a first time mother, but if there's one thing I do know it's that doctors have a way of making you worry when there's no need for it. Your twins will be just fine as will my baby!
A little something was detected in my 5 week 6 day checkup as along with a faint heartbeat, but I was told that I may lose the baby if the heartbeat did not pick up. But as I've read in your post along with few others, many women did not even receive feedback that there was a heartbeat at 6 weeks, so that makes me feel a little better because I have been worried sick. I would wait until you see a qualified u/s tech before you take your doc's word for it, because he doesn't know what he's talking about. Your baby will be just fine.
I am from the UK and all these posts sound like the doctors everyone seems to go to are the same person or they are all pretty rubbish. its crazy they tell you things to make you worry (which is bad for you and baby). they don't really know all these things for sure quite often and they should not tell you somthing until they are absolutely sure of it. all babies develop at different rates and the amount of people who seem to have been scheduled for a d/c way too early. the doctors could not possibly tell the baby had died from simply not being able to etect a heartbeat at such an early stage.  the thing that makes me angry is hat you guys have to pay for these doctors too. In the UK we don't pay for the national health service and they would never tell people things without first having a very good idea of what is happening. I had a m/c just under 4 mnths ago and am now 6 weeks pregnants again. I have had a little spotting for the last few days bu no pain and i am scheduled for an early sacn this morning so i hope everything is ok.  good luck to you all
I'm not sure if these forums help me or just scare me more, but I can't help but look for answers. Three years ago I lost a baby at 13 weeks. The ultrasound said the baby only made it to approx. 7 weeks but my body didn't want to give it up. I'm now 6 weeks pregnant and I experienced some brownish discharge (the same thing that happened at 13 weeks with the last one) so I went to my Dr. and he did an ultrasound on me right there in his clinic. The monitor showed where the baby was suppose to be, but as far as I could see it looked empty and we could not detect a heartbeat. The Dr. felt it was just too early and his machine wasn't stong enough to be able to detect it. I am now waiting for an ultrasound app. at the hospital because their machines are apparently better. It's been 5 days and everything has been normal so far since that one evening. I have a healthy seven year old son so I know I can carry to term.. I'm just making myself go crazy during this waiting period! Is it normal to see nothing at 6 weeks? Is light brown discharge normal? I still have tender breasts, heartburn, extremely exhausted, but I'm so scared especially after carrying the last baby for almost 7 weeks after it had past away without even knowing it. :o(
I have great news that will hopefully relieve a lot of everyone else's stress as well because I know I'm not the only mama to be who was worried! I went for an internal ultrasound today and they found the baby! The little empty sac we first saw at the beginning of the week actually isn't so empty after all. I'll be 7 weeks tomorrow and its little heart was just a pumping! I had all the same questions as everyone else did on here.. I don't feel pregnant, my symptoms come and go, I had some spotting, I've also had a previous miscarriage.. but just breathe.. it will be okay. I finally feel some relief even though I know there's a few weeks left before celebrating the 3 month mark. Best of wishes ladies :O)
I just learned that I was pg last monday. I took a blood test the next day is is was 500+. I then saw my ob on thursday and he said that I was 5 wks. On saturday I had small amount of spotting and went to the ER and they took blood and my HCG was 11,200 then on monday they did another and I got the results the same day (STAT). It was 22,000. i also had a sonogram internal, and there was a sac but no yoke and no baby. i had another sonogram on monday and still the same. Doc said that there was fluid either in the uterus or outside I can;t remember but, he said that I measured 5 wks. So, he said that I am not out of the woods yet he put me on prometriumn 200mg. this is for women who have low pro levels and will help to not have a mc. it says it will make you dizzy and they were right wow. but, hopefully this will help. Im 32 with my first baby, i have ulcerative colitis so i have cramping in stomach. i have been having a little more spotting hopefully that will go away. I will have my boold drawn on wensday and friday then my next u/s will be on monday. My thoughts and prayers for all of you.
I have a question for  people on here. this is my first time on here so bare with me. I found out a little before Halloween I was pregnant. I found this out because i ws having tummy pains which I have been having for more than a year. (its due to scar tissue in my stomach). My blood levels were at 121.1 which they said was beginning of pregnancy. I went in a week later and my levels went up to 2,475.0 which was a positive pregnancy. I went in for my first sono on Nov. 4th and was told I was abou 5wks,5days, and my due date would be july 2nd. I went in for a sono today and I had a different dr give me the ultrasound. The doctor did a pelvic exam saw no bleeding or discharge but when I had the vaginal wand put in he said that he would have seen more of a growth with the baby in 6 days. I said does this mean I am miscarrying since I have had back and tummy pain and he said ehh no not alwasy it could be just because we are two different examiners. What do you guys think? I am a nervous wreck. I try not to be but I notice I want no one around me and i find myself having to force myself to be hands on with my son who is 3. and its not his fault. I just lost my first baby at 5months, due to anencephaly, and now I have a healthy 3yr old son but I seriously can't do another miscarriage. what do you guys think?
i went on monday to get an ultra sound.they used the wand she had a hard time finding the baby.it seemed like for ever.she finelly found it but the thing is she said the baby was only 6 weeks and the sack is 9 weeks.i think she is wrong because that would have been oct 13 but i took a test nov 5 and it was neg thats 3 week diff.i think it whould show up.if any one has any thing that would help me please do.
i had u/s at 8 wks 2days after ivf cycle. 2 fetuses were found only 1 with a hb. Also 3 other gestational sacs were found, 2 empty and 1 with a yolk sac. This they said puts me at a high risk of m/c. They want us back for another u/s on mon 18th. Both my partner and i find this very confusing having found 5 gestational sacs altogether 2 with fetuses 1 with a yolk sac and 2 that r empty. Cannot find anything on the net to read up on. BTW we only had 2 eggs transferred. I would be glad of any support from anybody that has possibly gone through similar as they told us its rare. Thanks
Thanks so very much for all of your posts.   Last Tuesday, my husband and I went for an ultrasound.  We thought that we were 8 weeks, but we were told that we are 6 weeks, close to 7.  We were also told that there was no heart beat possibly because a fibroid was growing very close to the baby.  We were told to come back in a week.    

I was really scared but decided to pray and ask God for a miracle and His will.  This week has been hard, but good because it has helped us to focus on God's will.  Your posts have given me more faith.  Thank you.
I am supposed to be a little over 6 weeks, Went in today to my first OB appt. They did a vaginal ultrasound to see how far along I am. And no heartbeat. She is very worried and scheduled me to come back in one week and try again. If no heartbeat then, she said something may have went wrong in my pregnancy.
Ok my first baby passed away 3 weeks after she was born my secound baby was born healthy now i am pregnant again with twins i am 5 weeks and 5days along and they said in one sack they see a heartbeat but in the other sack nothing they dont know if i am going to miscarrage (miscarriage) or if its to soon i am so scared i just cant bare to loose another baby can someone help me see so light thank you
blessed mom 09
Please suggest me.My wife went for check and doctor said no heart beat and sac is only 6 wk 1 day even thigh she is at 8 th week with last mens cycle dec 25 and we went on feb 21 . does this mean sac will not grow and there is no hope for baby to be alive. is there any chance miracle can happen and baby will get the heart beat
I'm not sure if these posts help me or make me worry more. I thought I was 7 weeks but today my doctor did an ultrasound and said I was 6 weeks. He said everything looked good, he could see the fetal pole but there wasn't really a heartbeat yet. I did see a very tiny flickering. Maybe that's the beginning of a heartbeat?? He wants me to go back in 2 weeks for another ultrasound. I'm scared half to death, I've never had a miscarriage before. What do you all think? Is 6 weeks to early to detect the heartbeat?
If I were you I would not worry too much, unfortunately at this time its TOO early to see or hear a heart beat! The baby is only a sack right now, at the 8 wks Ultra sound you may or may not see the heart beat, but by 1o weeks for sure you should get the response your looking for, GOOD LUCK and Baby Dust to all TTC Mom's to be!
i am 20 on my first miracle pregnancy after being told i could not conceive i had no idea i was preg or that i could as i have not had a menstrural cycle for at least 12 months!!!! i had my first TVS and a TAS scan at my local hospital maternity wing yesterday. the CRL (crown to rump length) is 4.3mm (approx 6weeks 1 day) and i was told to expect a heart beat by then.

they have detected a fetal pole yolk sac and gestational sack but no heart beat.

i no a fetal pole is a good sign but they gave me a leaflet for women with uncertainly viable pregnancies it says to go home rest and expect to miscarry if not you will be offered a d&c or medication at my next u/s app in 2.5 weeks they also told me not to bother contacting a doctor or a midwife as i would be wasting their time if it turned out to be non-viable. i feel i was told this coldly with no indication of possible hope. basically go home miscarry and if i dont and there heart beat next app then i should feel extremely lucky not gutted.

do you think it is worthwhile to have my hcg levels and progesterone levels in case a problem is detected that could be resolved in future pregnancies. i have not been offered a blood test even as a UK based patient!!! i am very underweight so could this be a reason for non-development of the fetus? i also have an immune disorder hereditary shpereocytosis i have heard the mothers immune system can attack the fetus! i just dont know where to trun or who to ask especially after being told to not bother a doc or midwife unless i haemorrhage during the miscarriage i've been told to expect! do they say that to all my with scan results or what?...please help
Hey everyone! I went into the Er last night with some very mild cramping.(I have had one m/c before so this freaked me out). I was told that I should be 6 wks 2 days according to LMP. The hospital was horrible! My blood work came back as 2000 and the internal u/s showed a sac, fetal pole but no heart beat. I was sent home with information on m/c. I looked up the hcg levels week by week and it shows that i am still in normal range. I have had no bleeding. Just wondering if maybe it is too early to see the heartbeat or they just didnt take the time to really look. My husband is deployed and this is soooooo scary to deal with alone. Please give me some advise. My ob said to wait until monday and come in for labs and u/s.
Hi Everyone!!

i went for my first ultrasound five days ago. I was supposed to be on my 6 weeks and a half  but Doctor said it showed that i was only  in my 5th week and there might be something wrong going in my pregnancy or it might just be a wrong calculation. I was So worried!! Its my first pregnancy

Today i went for another ultrasound after 5 days and the doctor said there is some change in my uterus, but still no heartbeat. I went from 7mm to 8.5mm, is it normal?? or something wrong

We need to recontol in one week. i'm on my nerves. Can somebody help?
Has anyone had a vaginal ultrasound at 6 weeks and not seen a heartbeat, but went on to have a baby?
I am 10 weeks pregnant and found out when I was 3 weeks pregnant so we have been bouncing off the walls with excitement for 7 weeks.  WE made the mistake of telling most of our family and friends.  You see we are older parents .. I'm 44 in August and my fiance is 45.  This is my first baby so I was beyond thrilled.

On May 24th I was bleeding and went the the ER and they told me to go back the next day for a scan.  That scan came back okay.  The Dr. wanted to see me 3 weeks later but 2 weeks after that I was bleeding really bad so we went back to the ER.  Again another scan the next day showed a very strong heartbeat.  We had a sceduled ultrasound yesterday and again he used the vaginal wand and said that the baby was there but there was no heartbeat.

They have told me nothing about what might happen except I have to go back for another ultrasound on Friday (1 week) and they will tell me what the plan on doing.

I have been experiencing major craps for about 2 hrs but no bleeding.  I am beside myself and trying to block everyone out, I don't know what to think.  I read some of your stories about how the babies survive but if I am going to miscarry I want it over with now.  I don't think I can go to work next week and carry on knowing the baby inside of me is dead.

Any suggestions would be great.  Do you think it's possible the baby is alive or should I order a D&C?

I jus want to share my testimony here. First of all I'm givin all glory and honor to my Almighty GOD alone who performed a wonderful miracle in my life...
I had us at 6w1d. That time hearbeat was nt detected and i was so scared abt that. They scheduled anothr scan aftr 10days. All these days myself and my husband prayed 2gthr with faith...Finally the day has come, oh! wat a grt miracle! Baby's heartbeat is gettin and everythin is normal...I cud able 2 see and hear my baby's heartbeat also...PRAISE THE LORD!
So i jus wanted 2 say to the readers that pls put ur trust in GOD alone. Nothing is impossible for GOD.. If GOD can perform this grt miracle in my life surely HE wil do much more for u too...Am very much sure abt that...The thing u shud do is PRAY TO GOD WITH FAITH...tats very very important...God bless U abundantly...
I may be grasping at straws but I came here looking for answers after praying and your post was just two days ago so I'm hoping God helped me to find it.  I am 41 years old with three teens.  I've been trying to have a baby with my new husband for over a year and i've had three miscarriages before this pregnancy.  I tried not to bond and to expect the worse, but it was still heart breaking today when my 6 week ultrasound showed sac and fetal pole measuring 5 weeks and no heartbeat.  I know the exact day I conceived and should be 6 weeks and 5 days.  I felt certain it was another loss and I keep praying but also telling God that he knows what is best and let his will be done.  Seeing your post makes me think that it is not wrong to keep praying for a miracle this week.  No spotting or anything and I still have all my symptoms.  I have another ultrasound in a week.  Either way, I'm happy about your miracle.
Hi all,
I am really looking for your suggestions if you have any from your past experience. We are trying for baby naturally for last 5 years with no success and then decided to do IVF. I am 33 years old and my wife is 30. After 3 embryo transfers and 2 weeks wait time, we had smile on our face when doctor said hcg level is +ve.
Then RE called us for ultrasound at 7th week, we saw one sac but fetus was measuring at 5 weeks 2 days and no heart beats, doctor concluded implantation took place late.
And RE called us again after 10 days for 2nd ultrasound. With 2nd ultrasound, also we did not see any heartbeat nor fetus was grown from the last measurement, Doctor broke our heart by saying its not viable pregnancy and we should go for D&E. I am very upset and can’t see my wife crying all night since then. Please help us and let me know your suggestions if you have any. Thanks!!
Hi all,

I have an eleven year old but i am trying to have another child with my new husband. I am 5 weeks and 2 days. I went to the hospital today because I had light bleeding and bad cramps. They wanded me and could not find a heartbeat but they saw a yolk sac. The Dr. said it looked like I was only 4 1/2 weeks pregnant. I suppose to follow up with my doctor in 2 weeks on Aug 3.  I am very nervous now because I have never miscarried before and don't know what to really look for when it comes to miscarriages. I am scared out my mind.... Should I go to a different doctor to get checked again or wait until my doctors visit with my OB?
Hello all, I am also hoping for a miracle and for some positive feedback to put my mind at ease.

My LMP date is 5/23/2010 and my positive pregnancy date is 6/23/2010. According to this I should have been about 9 wks 2 days when I went into the dr for an US. First before I go forward let me give you more information. Monday in the early AM I went to the bathroom because I woke up to feeling crampy like menstral or like I needed to have a bowl movement. I couldn't go, got up a few time. One of the times after urinating I wiped and I had spotted blood. I freaked as I have MC before. The next day I had nothing until the evening when I urinated, wiped and had a tiny spot of blood. Since Monday I have been just fine. On Tuesday I went in for an US to see if everything was ok. The US shows that I am only 5 wks 6 days and no HB. The Dr said that I might not be as far along or I lost the baby, we're doing another US next week. I went in for an exam today and he said cervix, everything is normal. I just think it is really really weird that he did not have blood work done to check my HCG levels. I also asked him if it was possible that I just ovulated late and am not that far along. He said that it doesn't go off conception date but rather LMP date.

Should I be worried???
my daughter is 18 and is having a hard time understanding what is going on with her she is very moody and has gained alot of weight in her stomach area and thats it her breasts are sore but when she took a pregnancy test it came back negative but when she went to the er to have a blood test done the doctor told her she had a pregnant uterus but her blood test told her shes not pregnant then they sent her to an ob who did an ultra sound who said there is something on the screen but didnt think its anything cause there is no heart beat just trying to make sence of this all can any body help?
After taking a pregnancy test on the 10th of july i went for my dating scan on the 17th of august. i was told that they could find no heartbeat and the fetal pole only measured 3mm. I was told to expect to miscarry in the next week and that this indicated that i had had a missed misscarriage. The scanner was so cold and matter of fact she said i should be 9 weeks if i had had a positive test on the 10th of july. My husband was working away and didn't get to hear the news first hand. I was booked in for another scan on the 24th of august to carry out another scan and discuss my option should it not have left the body naturally. I had my next scan on the 24th with my husband present however on this scan the fetal pole had grown to 6mm but still no heartbeat found. This scanner was much more positive she said it is possible that i was only 6 weeks pregnant at this scan and 5 weeks at my last and at this point it would be difficult to find a heartbeat. My husband is now hopeful but I don't understand how i could only be 6 weeks. I have been booked in for another scan on the 31st august all this waiting is terrible, having your hopes raised. i carried out another pregnancy test which still shows positive but the hospital haven't done any blood work to check if my HCG levels are rising but i'm guessing if you have had a missed miscarraige (miscarriage) they would continue to rise due to the fact the body thinks its a normal fetus.
If anyone has ever been in this position and it has turned out the fetus was alive and your dates were just wrong please could you let me know. Either way i suppose i will know one way or the other by tuesday.
Not Really a comment I took a first response clear blue easy and some store brand pregancy test they all came out postive i went to the doctor an did a pee test and it was negative so now I am waiting on a blood test can someone tell me whats wrong with me now mind you that my af was due on the 6th of this month i took hpt on the 7 thru the 11 of this month my cycle came light lighter than normal and ended with pinkish blood I a pregancy the next day and all my test have been postive every since can any body give some insight cause iam so nerves please help me
im six weeks and one day today i went to my OBGYN today and there is still no heart beat i have an appointment next wensday and they said that if there is still no heart beat then the pregnacy will probley go no further....im so scared and nerves its my first pregancy and ive been trying for four years now i just hope nothing goes wronge...can somebody help please
I had my tubes reversed in April of 2010 so my husband and I could try to have a baby. my lmp was August 8th and I had alot of  pregnancy test that were positive. I went to the doctors today 9-14-10 and they saw a fetus and no heartbeat. they are saying I am 5w and 5days. I dont think I am that far along. But, the doctor wants me to come back in two days for another tranvaginal ultrasound. Believe you me I am driving myself nuts. I have no symptoms of a miscarriage and all the signs of pregnancy. I think it is to early to see a heartbeat. all my other children I never had an ultrasound until I was 8 weeks pregnant.
My wife and I went to the doctor and they saw a heartbeat and now the doctors find one? Does this mean the pregnacy is over? The doctor said yes but her hormone levels keep goin up?
Ok so I am really confused. I went to my ob today for my first ultrasound. They did not check any of my levels. All they did was give me a vaginal ultrasound. They said that my I measured about 6 weeks but there was no heartbeat. I was crushed. I kept asking if maybe it was too early to tell and I the doctor acted like I was stupid for even asking the question. After reading alot of your posts I see that most of your doctors schedule another ultrasound appointment. My ob would not. He said that I need to schedule a D&C immediately and that there was no need to have a second ultrasound because with no heartbeat at 6 weeks the fetus is dead. I don not have normal periods and he said that I should be 12 weeks according to my last period. When I tried to tell him that sometimes my period skips a month he got mad. He said that he knew what he was looking at. According to him my baby just stopped growing at 6 weeks. And has been dead inside me for 6 weeks. I was shocked because I feel like there is a big chance that he is wrong.  Mainly because I still have all of the normal signs of pregnancy. I've read that some heartbeats cannot be heart until 10 weeks.

So I guess what I'm asking is what would you guys do? Is it possible that they just cannot detect the heartbeat yet? How could he know I am supposed to be 12 weeks if he did not check my levels and it was my very first ultrasound? Do you guys think I should wait and demand another ultrasound?

I really need advice. I don't want to have a D&C if there is still a possibility that the baby is alive.
im 5 weeks and 6 days pg and my ob told me that there is a gestational  yolk sac and embryo but NO Heart Beat YET..i feel worried coz i had missed abortion last time and i dont want it to happen again..i am emotionally weak but when i read all of your comments, i feel i still have a chance to bring another life to our family.my husband and i really want to have this baby bad. i thank you because reading all of your comments makes me feel strong and to think positive..

im a lil bit scared on my next US, i am hoping that this tiny embryo will make me cry coz i will heard his strong heart beat on my next ob visit..i've been crying coz your comments touch my heart and made me realize that there's always a miracle. dont loose hope and trust our God Almighty.

so to all those want to soon to be mommies out there, just keep on believing in Him, dont give up , we should always be positive!
im keeping my fingers crossed for all of us..
And update on my case. I had a miscarriage yesterday. But don't let that make any of you lose hope. I did some research and the American medical league says if there is no heartbeat up to 8 weeks there should be no cause for concern. Unfortunately in my case it just wasn't meant to be.

To:shamika1117

I hope everything goes well with you. Just don't let this emotionally stress you out. That is what I did. My OB was unprofessional and caused me to have a miscarriage. When I had mine yesterday they told me that stress from my emotions were what caused me to miscarry. So don't give up hope and don't let it stress you out. My baby was fine until my OB did what he did. This was my first time being pregnant. I will be praying for you.
im so sorry on what happened on your baby.. i hope everything is okay with you too, maybe this is not the right time. im sure He will give you a beautiful baby so don't lose hope..
i appreciate your response on my post.
i will pray for you too..
Can someone please put my mind at ease. I worked out i was 10 weeks pregnant from the dat of my last period but when i went for a scan last Thursday they said im only measuring 5 or 6 weeks. They could only see the sac and no heartbeat. Is this normal at this stage? The doc said it is either too small to detect anything or it has died and my body is still hanging onto it. Im going out my mind with worry. Please help :-(
I found out I was pregnant at 4w6d according to my last period 8/14/10.  I immediately scheduled multiple appointments to be seen and just verify pregnancy, and sure enough, I found out that I was definitely prego.  Well Last night I has having bad cramps and had work up at about 4AM to use te b-room and wiped a pinkish blood.  I freaked out and went to the ER.  After 6 hours or blood work, peeing, ultrasounds, and waiting to see a doctor, the doctor comes in and tells me that instead of my expected 8w3d I am only about 6 weeks and that there is a sac and baby visible, but no cardiac activity*heart beat*.  I am putting my faith in God that he will put a hand over me and watch out for my baby and I at this time, but would like to hear if anyone had anythign similar happen to them as well.  I am very curious.  

Thanks in Advance!
I'm wondering if anyone has bled for as long and the baby to be alright. By LMP I should be 7weeks and 4 days had a scan this week on monday and was told the baby just measured 5mm and was dated 6 weeks and they should have seen a heartbeat. I have to go back on Friday for a rescan. I have been bleeding/spotting now for 12 days no pain and 1 small coin size blood clot. I have prepared myself for the worst. However at my first where baby was dated 5w 1d there was just a sac and egg so in 10 days we now have a visible fetus and cannot understand if there is no heartbeat how it has grown. We have decided if the baby has grown and still no heartbeat I am going to wait before I have to have a d&c however if there is no change and no heartbeat still we have come to terms that we have lost the baby. Has anybody else gone through anything similar. Many thanks
just an update. Went for scan today and unfortunately there was still no heartbeat and the baby has appearead to have shrivelled up as it was now an irregular shape. Sadly I am now being treated for a missed miscarriage. I wish all women going through the same experience all the luck possible and hopefully a much happier outcome than my own.
Im an ultrasound tech. If you have a 6 week ultrasound and it shows no heartbeat then you should have a follow up ultrasound 2 weeks later to confirm the finding. Don't have a D & C or do anything until you have that follow up ultrasound. It is best to double check.

Giving someone the news of not seeing a heartbeat is always very difficult. You should all know that it is something we dread to say. Hope you all can have a healthy pregnancy and the baby you so desire and deserve.

Lindsey
hiyaaa im 5 week and 5days pregent i had a missed miscarriage at 8weeks and 5dyas i found out in september that i had minor pcos but the doctor said they didnt think it would affected me beacuse i have been pregent 1se before it as taken me and my parter 7 mouth to concive this time around and i have a scan tomoroow to check thinks are looking normal..... i have been having nausea but not actulay been sick also i get back ack right low down more to my right side i have spoken to a midwife and she said its quit normal in early pregcey beacuse of you Hormonal changers im just scard that everything going to go wrong again i never had sytoms with my 1st miscarriage just a normal dateing scan please help thnaks
5 weeks 5 days pregnant--u/s showed no heartbeat-doctor called to say sorry for your loss and he has a scheduled D and C.  What was the basis of this sudden interpretation?!?!!?1 Honestly I still feel pregnant...for some eason I seem to think that maybe the doctor is mistaken...someone advice pls.
I'm going through the same thing.. I'm only measuring out at six weeks and I know I shod be like 8 weeks... I went in for the transvag. ultrasound and there is no heart beat.... the lady said she had some concerns. She said in a round about way that I was " right on the edge" they normally like to hear a heart beat but it could go ether way. She said my doctor would probably not say to worry and would send me for another ultrasound... I'm very worried!!! Any one out there to help me??
Hey I am new this site. This is my first pregnancy.. The doctor say I am 7w 4d. I had my first U/S yesterday and they only saw the sac.. I go back next week for another U/S. I think I am only 5w.. I know the day I conceived and by that I am figuring I am 5w.. I am worry that the doctors are wrong.. I am not having any signs of a miscarriage. I don't have to have a D/C next week if there is still nothing.. Because next week by my calculation I will only be 6w.. What should I do?

NicoleStewart
My wife had her first ultrasound today. We're certain that it's been 5 weeks and 3 days from conception. The doctor spotted the fetus but couldn't detect a heartbeat. Just as others have experienced, we were told that this was most certainly an 'abnormal pregnancy' and that she needs to consider a D/C or pills. We decided to have a 2nd ultrasound scheduled 8 days from today with a different doctor, just to be certain. The fetal pole measured 4.4cm - anything over 5cm and no heartbeat will be ruled a miscarriage, according to the AMA. This is our primary source of hope, that the fetus is just too small for a detectable heartbeat. I'll post an update when I have one.

This is what the AMA says about where my wife is with her pregnancy right now. It's obviously not great news, but there's nothing we can do but hold out hope for a heartbeat next week.

"Week 7 - Gestational Age (Fetal Age 5 weeks)
Generally from 6 ½ -7 weeks is the time when a heartbeat can be detected and viability can be assessed. A normal heartbeat at 6-7 weeks would be 90-110 beats per minute. The presence of an embryonic heartbeat is an assuring sign of the health of the pregnancy. Once a heartbeat is detected, the chance of the pregnancy continuing ranges from 70-90% dependent on what type of ultrasound is used. If the embryo is less than 5mm CRL, it is possible for it to be healthy without showing a heartbeat, though a follow up scan in 5-7 days should show cardiac activity.

If your doctor is concerned about miscarriage, blighted ovum, or ectopic pregnancy, the gestational sac and fetal pole (if visible) will be measured to determine what type of development should be seen. The guideline is that if the gestational sac measures >16-18mm with no fetal pole or the fetal pole measures 5mm with no heartbeat (by vaginal ultrasound), then a diagnosis of miscarriage or blighted ovum is made. If the fetal pole is too small to take an accurate measurement, then a repeat scan should be done in 3-5 days. If there is absence of a fetal pole, then further testing should be done to rule out the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy."

http://www.*****************.org/pregnancycomplications/earlyfetaldevelopment.htm
I am pregnant with my 2nd child, and have had quite a journey already. Going by my LMP I am 9 weeks, however, going by my dates I am 5 weeks. Not knowing this, I had a slight bleed 3 weeks ago, and was sent for a scan. I had a transvaginal scan, and only a gestational sac was showing, my HGC levels were over 15000 so I was told to go for another scan in 7 days, the next scan showed an empty sac still, but it had grown, so again was asked to return in 7 days. Today I went for another scan, and this time they saw a yolk sac and a fetal pole but no heartbeat. I was advised that this may be due to it being to early, but they can not guarentee that this pregnancy will continue. I was also told that I have a tilted uterus, which can make scans difficult to see. I have been asked to go back in 9 days for another scan and hope that a heartbeat will be detected. I have kept hopeful due to reading alot of posts on forums like this one, and hop I will have a definate answer next week. Fingers crossed, and good luck to all those experiencing the same situation.
I am 40 years old and went in for my second u/s today. My periods have been less than normal since I hit this age, but I was convinced I was fertile myrtle. I calculated my ovualtion from lmp and my husband and I tested the theory as we wanted to get pregnant. What I found was that I knew 6 days before my period that I was pregnant.  Technically I thought I conceived on Jan 23. Here in lies the dilemma.  The docs office first scheduled me to come in on what we thought would be 7w. They called and asked if I wanted to come in a week early. I jumped thinking I could see the baby.  Well--all they saw was the gestational sac that measured that I was only 5w6d+/-7days. That was just awesome because now i was worried.  We scheduled a second u/s for one week later (today).  He did not measure the GS but we saw a heartbeat. AGAIN-- the baby measured 4.3mm and had a hb of 77bpm.  Now there is the added stress and worry  that this is a low heart rate. I honestly want to go back and have them do an u/s each day to see if the baby is progressing now because I am seriously worried. He did bloodwork last week as well and everything was normal except my red blood cell count was high. Basically-- can anyone set my mind at easy?  The pros- things have progressed, there is now a baby and a hb.  Cons- low hb, high red blood cells, gestational age does not match conception. I know it's God's will either way, but I feel like it took me a really long time to prepare myself to open up to the possibility of having a baby at my age (I am blessed with a 14y boy) as I thought I was done.  Then I embraced it, feeling invincible and blessed only to keep feeling like the odds are not in my favor. Help--dumber the older I get
Update on my first post:

We went back for the 2nd ultrasound and our worst fears were confirmed. Still no heartbeat and the fetus hadn't grown at all. My wife was given a prescription for Cytotec, which she took last weekend. It's been a very difficult week for her obviously. I hope that those looking here for help find better results on their 2nd ultrasounds than we did. Good luck.

hi..i had my transvaginal utz yesterday..and heard my bsby's heartbeat..the dr showed me some tracing of it..the utz said i was 6wks 5 days pregnant..but my lmp.was june 2 ..and had unsafe sex at june 20..pregnancy test.showed positive at july 8.....isnt the heartbeats too early??
Hi littlewadsworth, I know what you are going through, its not a nice feeling at all, I was 3 and a half months with my 3rd pregnancy when I miscarried, I had a ultrasound and all they could see what the sac but there was nothing in there, I to had a blighted ovum, I was a mess, even though I had 2 little girls at home, no one knows how it feels to miscarry a baby, whether its a blighted ovum or not, my Aunty told me I had a fake pregnancy, I was so upset about that comment from her, I went to my doctor whom told me that it wasn't a fake pregnancy at all, actually there was a baby in there but if the baby dies before 12 weeks they normally dissolve, thats why you can't see it when they do the ultrasound... I have had 2 boys since then and I had another miscarriage, then I had my daughter whom is now 2, my other children are 19 whom she has made me a grandmother twice with 2 beautiful granddaughters, I have a 17 year old daughter and 2 sons, 13 and 12, then my baby whom just turned 2 last month, I had another micarriage a few months ago and I just found out I am pregnant again, my doctor is doing regular blood tests to make sure my HCG levels are rising which they are, but when I had my ultrasound they said they couldn't see anything in there, only that my uterus had a very thick lining which means there is either a pregnancy starting in there or I am going to get a heavy period, but with my HCG levels rising fast, means everything is going good and my baby is growing in there, I am due to have my second ultrasound this wednesday coming, I am not looking forward to drinking the water but am looking forward to seeing it on the scream, which they should be able to see it now, I should be over 6 weeks now they said, I will let you know how it all goes.... I wish you all the luck in the world littlewadsworth and pray you have a little bundle in your arms in the new year, take care and god bless xx
hi guys,

im scared! i went for my second scan yesterday at my GP's and he said my fetal development was too slow. and to add to that he could not get a heart beat. he scheduled me for another scan on Thursday next week. according to my Dr i am 8weeks 2days. but first day of  my lmp was on the 4th of July 2011.on my first scan on the 21 Aug 2011 it didnt show anything and we thought it was too early. 3 days ago i had serious cramps like period pain and now i am normal. i never had any nausea even for my first pregnancy(i have a 5yr old C-section baby) no itchy breast, no cramps nothing. im so worried now.
I too have been told im miscarrying my twins. One is smaller than the other, no fetal pole but thay are re checking with a scan on Monday.  I think I know deep down I have lost my angels but holding on to a mirracle.X
Hello, Just wanted to say to everyone god bless and good luck ..this can be sometimes a difficult process when you stress out. Anyway I went to the doctor and told them I was pregnant and according to my cycle I was approx 8 weeks and 1 day when I did my ultrasound, the doc called me in the day after and insisted that I come in to talk to him, he asked me how I was feeling I said other than being called in and filled with worry I feel fine. He asked if I was cramping or spotting I said nope, in fact my pregnancy symptoms are getting more intense, He was confused with that answer, he told me no fetal heartbeat was found and asked me how far along I was, I told him that according to my cycle about 8 weeks and 2 days now, but I am not 100% sure, he said there should be a heartbeat by now and you will misscarry and I was devastated, he gave me pills to create an misscarriage, but i never took them i was determined that nothing was wrong, and sure enough when my blood work came back the doc office called and told me my hcg levels where real high and they must have miss calculated my date of conception, he never even looked at my file to see that I was only not even 6 weeks when i went to the ultrasound, I wasnt even informed of it either or I would have known. So he schedualed me for another ultrasound but I went to another doc to get a second opinion and he doesnt even want me to go he says its to early that i would not even be 7 weeks and that its to soon and might cause me to worry all over again...so my point is if you need a second or third opinion do it for your peice of mind...god bless *Diane
last week I was  told that they saw twins but one with no heart beat (6 weeks 4 days) and that basically I'd miscarried one , is this right ? Could it show up later?
Hello I Just Wanted To Let You Know That I Am Praying For You And Ask That You Might Pray For Me As Well. My Husband And I Went In For Our First Ultrasound This Past Thursday And Found That We Are 6 Weeks And 1 Day Along With Our First Child I Find This Impossible As I Found Out I Was Pregnant 6 Weeks And 5 Days Ago. Our Ultrasound Tec Could Not Find A Heartbeat And We Must Go A Week From Now To Give It One Last Try. I Am So Scard That Our Little One Will Be Gone, I Dont Know How To Deal With This As I Have Never Felt This Much Pain In My Life But I Am Trying To Keep My Faith And Trust That What Ever The Out Come That It Is In Gods Hands I Will Keep You In My Prayers And Wish The Best For You.
I've just had an internal scan and my baby measures 1.9mm and has a detectable heartbeat. Was amazing to see, as I thought it was going to be yet another miscarriage. I've had 3 miscarriages to date.
In 2008 I had my 1st daughter after 14 months trying to conceive. Within 9 weeks I was already pregnant with my 2nd daughter! We then began trying 3months after her birth, falling pregnant 3 months later, only to miscarry in the 6th week. The EPAU dept. told me that 1 in 5 pregnancies end in miscarriage (I was shocked). They said it's a one-off and it won't happen again. I was also advised to try again as quickly as possible as new research showed you'd be more likely to fall quicker and be more successful. So we began trying as soon as the miscarriage bleed had stopped. We fell pregnant that cycle. We were thrilled!! All my family were told at 6weeks. At 2 days shy of the 9th again I began to bleed heavily. A scan revealed I had had a complete miscarriage, again. We ere advised to leave it a cycle then begin trying again, which we did. 4 months after the 2nd miscarriage, My husband went in for major surgery and 3days after (he's like a dog on heat everyday lol) we conceived. I had some light brown bleeding every 4 weeks and many scans and blood tests done within the 1st 12weeks. Everything was fine and our son was born also in Jan, just like his sisters, but he was born on my 2nd daughters birthday!!! I had three under 3!!!! I told my husband within a few days I wanted another. We decided because I had some problems with his birth, and ending up having an emergency c-section that we'd wait at least 3, maybe 5 years. Tyat didn't happen. Within 5 months I was pregnant again. At week 6 and 4 days if I remember correctly I miscarried -although with the amount of tissue and matter that came out the doctor thinks I was further along. The scan showed a complete miscarriage again. 8 months later I fall pregnant again, scans x2 tests x4 pregnancy tests I've done x12 (no joke) and I've had some bleeding so far... I don't know what will happen now on but I am so scared of anything going wrong. My children have all turned 4,3and 1 in January and I am so desperate for this baby to make it. I should be approximately 6-7 weeks now (although they gave a measurement of 1.9mm last week, they said it's rough because their picture on the screen is not clear enough to measure accurately). There was a heart beat, but as I've had some light red blood loss since, the hospital have said it's a threatened miscarriage and now it's yet another agonising waiting game, just as it has been fr the past 3.5weeks :(
I had an ultrasound on wednesday and was told im only 2-3 wks gone even thou there was a sack and yoke and fetel pole im so confused
I'm suppose to be 5w6d pregnant after ivf transfer however stll cannot see sack after today u/s. I had u/s today because of spotting. I'll do u/s again on next thursday. Hopefully will see the development. Pray for me and i also pray for u all.
I wanted to come back and post because I searched this page after i went to my ultrasound and didn't see a heartbeat. I was measuring 5 weeks 6 days. I had an ultrasound so early because I had a bit of spotting at 5 weeks. I went today (7 weeks 3 days) and saw the heartbeat as clear as could be! I was so worried after reading these posts and kept wishing that people would come back and give updates...so here I am with my update :)
My LMP was, if memory serves me correctly, August 6, 2012.  From the doctor's calculations, I should be just at 7.5 weeks.  Please keep in mind my periods vary, from every 21 days to 28 days....lasting from 3 to 5 days.   We went to the ER last night because I thought I had some clear liquid (no blood or even a tinge of blood).  They did an US and said I was 6 weeks 4 days along.  They saw the sak and the fetal pole, but unfortunately no heartbeat.  They try to assure me, as did my doctor that SOMETIMES this is normal.    I am scheduled for another US on Friday.  Will I see any kind of growth in such a short amount of time; or is it just wishful thinking?

Thank you!
Im going through exactly the same thing, i went to have  my first scan last friday just gone , i thought i was around 2 months, i had the scan but there was nothing there, so she ussd that internal camera thing and seen a yolk sac as she said the baby was there but no heartbeat, i have to go back next fridayand this week is going to be so hard, but theres still a chance there could be a heartbeat, i hope everything works out for you. Its devastating ,maybe were too early to detect a heartbeat x
im am going through the exact same thing and im scared out of my wits. im looking for answers too. but this is my first ivf and first pregnancy. Can anyone shed some light please