Maternal & Child Community
No heart beat but fetus growth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

No heart beat but fetus growth

My wife recently found out that she had a miscarriage when an ultrasound showed no signs of a heartbeat (after having done so a week earlier).  She had a blood test a week later and her pregnancy hormone level had risen so another ultrasound was administered, again not picking up a heart beat, but showing substantial (about 3mm) fetus growth from the prior ultrasound. Our doctor can't explain the growth but feels certain that my wife has miscarried because the fetus should be at 10 weeks growth and it's at 7 weeks...plus, no heartbeat was detected. We are perplexed and wonder if you have ever witnessed this and have any helpful thougths? My wife is scheduled for a D&C this Thursday.
Hi, sorry to hear what you are going through.  My wife and I are going through something similar, fetal pole growth but also no hearbeat detected.  Probably like us you will have read in depth many of the comments on this forum, also gathering info from the internet.  We have read about people who have not heard a heartbeat until around 11wks and have gone on to have healthy babies, without giving you false hope, stay positive and what is meant to be will be.

Thinking of you, hope everything turns out well.

Chris & Leanne
I agree about waiting for the D&C.  I am going through something similar.  Told I will miscarry.  No heartbeat and no fetal pole at 9 weeks.  However, everywhere I read something, someone new has a story about being told they would miscarry and then end up with a healthy baby.  I have spent the whole weekend grieving with my husband, and now have found all this out.  I don't want to get my hopes up (or yours), but what if it really isn't gone?  I think I am going to have wait too.
Hello. I am so sorry to hear of this situation. Keep in mind that I am not a doctor and this is only my opinion, but if I were your wife I would cancel the D&C until you are SURE that the baby has died. There is a possibility that your wife ovulated later than expected or got pregnant later than she thought...in which case the 7 weeks would be accurate. Also--- it is common to not find a heartbeat at 7 weeks. If her numbers are still going up I strongly urge you to wait another week or two and MAKE SURE. Also-- I miscarried naturally and found it to be gentle and unobtrusive....sometimes D&C's can be scary and cause scar tissue...so it should only be done when necessary. Please let us know what happens.
Go to http://home.earthlink.net/misdiagnosed

You will see many cases similar to yours where the baby eventually showed up.  I hope that it goes well for your wife!
I know what you are going through.  Hold on tight and trust in God.  I am in the same situation and the Lord is all I can rely on at this time.  I will not throw my seed, as it is written in the word of the Lord. Don't give up on God.  He can work miracles in all of us.  I won't allow a D&C my body will tell me if I have a miscarriage, our bodies know when there are problems and God won't give you a cross you can't bear.  He died for us.
May God Bless you and your family.

moczy
hi im in same situation ..i went to doctori told them my last M.period and they said i was 9 and half weeks along..then went to doctor again i was bout 10 weeks and 3 days ..didnt hear heart beat..had ultrasound 3 days later they said no heart beat was there and i should misscarry soon and im scheduled for doctor to see my options for D&C THE 7TH!...HELP ME  I STILL FEEL PREGNANT..I have a bad feeling this will be my 4th born ...but if god knows my 3rd misscarriage in 2 yrs...thank you for reading and comments will help
hi Me and my husband are going through a similar thing as your wife i had a scan today and the doctor told me that he could not find a heart, he said that the scan showed i was 7weeks but i am 11 weeks so we go back in a few days for an ultrasound to find out what is really going on. It has been very upsetting to hear that our unborn child does not have a heart beat and that the heart cant be found. We have been all over the internet trying to find out if anything can be done or to even read upon situations like mine. If anyone knows anything more please get in touch. Many Thanks.
Hello Im goin thru the same thing, according to lmp shud be 11 weeks but US shows 8 weeks 3 days. Had slight bleedin also. But it is God who gives life not man/ doc. So just send your prayers and hopes on the fastest track to God. I believe He will heal my baby and I will testify and so will my child of this miracle. Jesus is our good shepherd He came to give us life in the fullest John 10-10.

Do you believe that He can do this for you? Mat 9:27-31
im also suffering that kind of situation. and im also trying to find some solutions regarding this problem. we are still waiting for another 2 weeks. then we will return to doctor to check if there's already a heartbeat. im very scared coz i already experience the D&C. i already suffer to have a miscarriage in my first baby. this must be my second. and im hoping that i can have this baby. coz its really painful to lost the one. the one thing that im doing right now is to have faith in  GOD. thanks for reading. hoping for a nice advice. have a nice day...