Maternal & Child Community
Non-stress test questions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Non-stress test questions

Sorry to keep posting today, but I suddenly have lots of questions!  After being referred to UCSF for some potential problems with my triplets, I'm scheduled to have 2 non-stress tests per week, my first one being this Friday.  They explained them to me a little at UCSF, but I'm wondering if there is anything I'm supposed to do before I go in.  Do I eat regularly?  Extra sugary suff?  I don't know if they want the babies to be super active or not.  I asked my dr's nurse, and she said I didn't have to do anything specific, but she didn't sound very sure.  If you've had a NST, I appreciate hearing about your experience.  Thanks!
I've had two NST's every week since wk 30. There is nothing special you need to do. The baby will either be reactive or nonreactive. If it's nonreactive they just send you for a U/S no big deal. My daughters first 4 NST's were nonreactive because she was too active and wouldn't stay on the heart monitor.... she hates those things.
I had a few NST done with my pregnancy and I did not have to do anything special.  How did your appointment go at UCSF.  I tried looking back into other posts put I was unable to find anything.
I had to have several done before I had my son 2 weeks ago. Bring in a big thing of cold water and drink lots of that. That will keep the babies active...but its not the same as an ultrasound...in other words you DONT have to have a full bladder. The water just helps wake them up if need be.  As far as anything else before hand there is nothing special you have to do....just eat and doing everything you would normally do.
They are simply checking the babies heart rate.. they need to find a certain level at which their heart rate is at... so they will want the babies to be active some of the time and not very active some of the time....they also look to see how babies react to contractions(braxton hicks)...if you have any while your there.
I have them twice a week alone with a BPP which is an ultrasound to check on baby. Nothing special just to monitor contractions and  baby's heart rate and movements. Make sure you eat before you go and bring a magazine or book to keep you busy.
My UCSF appt. was great.  They were awesome there!  I felt so comfortable and confident.  They ruled out Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome, which was a concern, and decided that Baby C was just small, but completely healthy.  They don't think there's anything wrong, and just ordered the NSTs to keep an eye on him.  Thanks for your concern!
Glad to hear everything went well.  It's good to hear that they are going to keep a good eye on them.  Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well for you.  Take care.
Glad everything went well!!
I knew you would be happy with your care at UCSF. I'm also glad that they ruled out TTTS......that would have been a terrible diagnosis. I had a friend who was pregnant with twins and they were concerned with baby" B's" weight being 2 pounds under what baby "A" was weighing. A week later (at 36 weeks) she gave birth to 2 girls weighing the exact same thing.....4 lbs 4 oz each. Of course, that was 7 years ago, not sure how much technology has improved with their u/s. Good luck and keep us updated.