Maternal & Child Community
Nonstress Test (NST)/Amniotic Fluid Index test (AFI) - past due date

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Anyone ever have these tests? I reached 40 weeks/ my due date last Wed so not that overdue but my OB is having me do these tests on Monday to make sure the baby and amniotic fluid level are OK. I opted not to have them strip the membranes last week b/c I thought it hurts a lot and not necessarily helpful and I was in no rush for labor, but now worried they'll induce me and rush me into emergency c section on Monday. I'm also changing my mind thinking to get induced by the end of the week if labor doesn't happen on its own b/c 4th of July the following week and I don't want to be in the hospital or have my baby's bday fall on a holiday if a chance of it! Anyway, any info about the NST and AFI tests is appreciated.
I've had a number of NSTs and they are truly no big deal.  Try not to let them talk you into taking anything to make you have a contraction if you can help it though, as it can make your feet swell.
I had both done of these tests done with both of my babies (went 41 and 41.5 weeks)

After having both tests done (which were not evasive) my dr stripped my membranes. I'm thankful because I didn't want to go the induction route either. Luckily for me, the striping helped to put me into labor (or maybe it was just lucky timing) within 24 hours. It was painful, but compared to labor, it wasn't that bad.
What I mean is try to avoid them giving you a drip to induce contractions, because the stuff they use to bring on the contractions (pitocin usually) can give you the most unpleasantly swollen feet that don't go away for a while.  :)
I am 35 weeks and have a very low AFI.  Did they tell you what your AFI was?  I am scoring consistently between 7 and 9.  The midwife and doctor have told me to drink lots of water everyday to increase the level.  I have been told that if I can't get my level up to 11 I have to be induced by 37 weeks.  So far the AFI has been low but the NST has came out fine.  I go back for both tomorrow.  Of course, you are past due so I am not sure the same advice would apply.  Anyway, neither test is too bad.  The AFI is an u/s and the NST just measures the baby's heartrate compared to movement.

Good to know -- thanks!
I have had both of these tests since i was 20 weeks due to having a high risk pregnancy ..... I now have them twice a week, and they are no big deal, i just lay there and relax!  Its my 30 minutes of relaxation a week ! All they do is strap a fetal heart monitor to you to get the babies heart beat and one to catch contractions, and everytime you feel the baby move you press a button!  And the AFI test is the same you just lay there and they do an ultrasound that takes about 3 minutes they measure the pockets of fluid and your done! I have a very low AFI as i have this entire pregnancy due to preeclampsia .......
I am 30 weeks pregnant and I was told that I have to get a NST with AFI twice a week every week til I deliver. I am not sure why, I know that the baby is measuring small, is this why I have to get these tests done?