Maternal & Child Community
Normal pregnancy after failed tubal ligation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi I was wondering if i could get some answers on becoming pregnant after having had tubes clamped . I am 22 i had my tubes tied in March of 2004 a year after having my 3rd child .my period has never been regular and as of now i havent had a period in 5 months . but for the past 1-2 months i have had some symptoms to lead me to think i could possibly be pregnant but iam to afraid to find out for sure . I have had bloating,headaches,nose bleeds , sore breast, and lower back pain as well as feeling tired alot . is it possible to become pregnant in such a short time of a tubal ? what is the % rate for some one of my age ? and what are the risk of becoming pregnant ? would a home pregnancy test be effective in finding out ? I would love to have another child if it happens but if not i am also ok with that what ever happens , happens . any answers would be great ! Thanks
I don't know the chances of becoming pg right after a tubal, but I'd say slim to none.  A hpt would be 99.999999% gauranteed accurate because it's been 5 months without a period (if I read that right).  

The only way to know is to take a hpt, but I'd say it's doubtful you are.  If you're not having your period, then you're not ovulating, so you can't get pg.  And if you were pg 5 months ago then you'd probably be feeling the baby kick by now.
I think it's common....well, maybe not common, but certainly not unheard of, to have a tubal and have funky periods.  Maybe you can ask your doc about getting your period jumpstarted and then going on some low-dose birth control to keep your periods regular...  Just a thought...
Thank you for your input however i pushed my fears aside and bought a test i kept thinking that if i werent pg that maybe i have some thing medically wrong with me to not have a period in so long . my test came up negative which dont bother me im more than happy and blessed with the children i already have . so now i will continue to try to find out what is gving me all these problems . Thanks again for your help .
Hi...I had a tubal ligation (clamps) and about 6 months after the surgery was done...I was preggo...waalaa!!! Yes sweetie it can happen and I am a living witness that you can get pregnant after having your tubes tied....
does anyone know how much a reversal for the clamps are?I just got married and we want to have a baby together.And I have no idea where to start with all of this.I'm clueless so any help or advice would be great.
I herd it's $6,000 to $7,000, and most insurance won't cover it.
Was your pregancy heathy? Was the baby okay?
hey ladys i am a 36 year old that had my tubes tied about 4 years ago they used the rings an now i am having head , backaches an bloating i had 2 periods amonth at times an now i got a uriner track infection an feel like throwing up some i feel movement but not sure what to think if anybody has any thing to say i will apercate it.
When did you feel the baby start to kick i had my tubes tied 11 years ago and i haven't had a period for two months. I have had all the symptoms and my breast are leaking.  Could i be? and the hpy came back neg.
Hi, i am also "showing", like five or six months showing, and getting bigger .  How long was it before a test came back pos.?
Sorry about all the questions, but my breast are starting to leak also, and i can feel kicking.
Hi, My name is DeDe and I am 47, 16 years ago I had tubal ligation and would like to know if it is possiable to get pregnant. My periods or very regular, but I have missed last months period and had a one day spotting this month. I also find my self having to visit the bathroom more often, I feel bloated alot and my clothes are feeling more snuged.If anyone has a answer for me I look forward to hering from you. Thanks