Maternal & Child Community
Nose Bleeds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Nose Bleeds

Hey guys.  I made it to 18 weeks!  So excited!  Just curious if any of you have been experiencing a lot of nose bleeds since you found out you are pregnant.  It seems like my nose bleeds every other day.  Not a gushing bleed, I just see clots, etc., when I blow my nose.  Is this pretty normal.  (I'm sure the contant use of heaters in the winter is not helping the situation either).  Thanks!
Avatar n tn
I dont know about blood, but I know that I never had allergies until I got pregnant, and every time Im pregnant they seem to get worse!  Maybe the hormone does something to the lining of our noses?  I am more sensitive to smell at that time too.
I did when I was pregnant but honestly I don't know why.  Sorry, just wanted to let you know that you werent alone.  The air is dryer this time of year too.  good luck w/ the rest of your pregnancy.
OK so glad I'm not alone :)  I'm not one to analyze my snot but I seem to be doing it more and more lately -- lol!
Avatar n tn
During the first 20 weeks of this pregnancy (I am 26 1/2 weeks now) I would get nosebleeds all the time.  Most of the time I would not even know that my nose was bleeding until I would feel the blood on my upper lip.  They just seemed to have a mind of their own.  I would get them bad in my car when I had the heat on and I would have to pull over on side of the road and wait until it stopped until I started again.  If you get a nosebleed do not blow your nose.  It will make it worse!  I had a pretty bad cold last week and I would see clots in my "nasal discharge" when I would blow my nose. But I did not have a major nosebleed.  It was more frustrating than anything.  My doctor said that it was normal unless I couldn't get the bleeding to completely stop within a 10 minute time frame.    
Avatar n tn
Hello!  I don't get nosebleeds, but I have never been so congested in my life!  Our assoc. attny's wife is a couple of weeks behind us, and she said that she has a nosebleed almost every other day (pregnancy rhinitis, they call it).  The congestion is the same thing.  Just that sometimes it causes bleeds, sometimes it doesn't.  Completely normal, apparently.  Don't worry! Happy 18 weeks today.  Today is the first day of my 19th week.  Who knows?  We may be back on the same path after your big u/s on the 14th.  
When I was in Vegas, I made a comment to dh about how tired I've been. He foolishly insinuated that I couldn't be tired this early in the pregnancy. The next day I went to blow my nose, and it was all blood- an impressive amount too! So I took my nasty, bloody kleenex to him and said, "There! Am I imagining that like I am about being tired? Ya big jerk!"

:)
Gosh, girls, this pregnancy stuff causes all kinds of stuff to happen to us!  

Hulahut -- hey, girl!  Today is the first day of my 19th week.  Isn't it so much fun!!!  Sorry you're congested.  I have NOT had that happen so it's bound to...

Lisa -- You are not imagining that sleepy stuff. I was the same way!  But then miraculously you hit the 2nd trimester and you feel like a million bucks!  I was up until midnight for that John Mayer concert last night, got up a little after 6:30 and I haven't been tired all day!  PS -- I'm glad you showed him your bloody snot :)
I am 10 w and am congested and having nose bleeds.  I run a cold air mister in my room at night.  My doc recommended saline solution for the nose.  Have to get some.

I also have a horrible taste in my mouth, all the time.  I brush my teeth, use mouthwash, nothing takes it away.  Eating fruit alleviates it for about 1 hour.  I actually wake up in the middle of the night.  Anyone else have this?
Avatar n tn
I am 6 and a half weeks and have been having regular nosebleeds! I've never had a nosebleed in my life until now. I read that the increased circulation of blood while pregnant makes for increased flow to the walls/bloodvessels of your nose and this is quite normal. A humidifier in your bedroom at night should do the trick (or so I'm told) and I also read to avoid "nose picking." hahah

Avoiding the nose picking is definitely key...  :)
Not that Jenny McCarthy is a doc or anything...but she is hilarious! I am reading her Belly Laughs book and she said her doctor actually told her that runny and bloody noses are normal in pregnancy. Wierd reason being that your uterine membranes soften and produce more vaginal discharge for easier delivery and for some reason the membranes in your nose think they need to help out too. So they break down and the snot starts flowin! :)
I have been experiencing the same thing since early pregnancy.  All of the books that I have say that this is normal. :)
Avatar n tn
awwwwwww, congrats hunny.......I am still just in limbo, but am sooooooo a happy for you, dear!  I havent been on here in months and was looking for an update about v-sentz, she is such a sweetheart, I hope all of her dreams have come true.......

Lots of love sweetie........
I am 37 weeks 6 days and I've been getting nose bleeds everyday but I've also been blowing my nose a lot and every time I blow my nose I get a nose bleed. I don't understand it.