Maternal & Child Community
Nuchal Folds and Downs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Nuchal Folds and Downs

My OB's office just called me to tell me that the nuchal fold thickness at my 20-week ultrasound was normal, but high (5-6mm). Everything else is great. The nurse told me that given my age (37) this is a marker for Downs and my OB wanted to see me.  My baby was as the result of IVF and the egg was harvested when I was 32.  Had the Radiologist known this, would they still have reported this as a potential marker?
I think they still would have reported it as a marker, just bring it up to your OB when you go in. Best of luck!
I'm confused why they are measureing the nucal fold at 20 weeks?  I thought that needed to be done at 12 weeks?  At 12 weeks, the normal measurement is under 3.0.  
I wish that I knew why they were measuring it at 20 weeks.  I have been reading on the internet and all of the studies that were measuring it were done at 11-14 weeks.  
Hmm... I guess that's a question to ask and ask if it skews the results when it is measured at 20 weeks instead.  I'm 34.  When the genetic counselor told me my baby's risk for Down's was increased, she said we wouldn't be discussing it (that it wouldn't be an issue) if I were, say, 21 instead of 34.  Age plays a major role in determining your risk factor.  Try not to worry!  An increased risk does not mean there is a problem.  Good luck!
The nuchal fold measurement of "less than 3mm" is specific for 11-14 weeks.  It does not hold true after that as the baby is growing and the nuchal fold increases.  The 11-14 week measurement is part of the "first trimester screen" which integrates the ultrasound measurements, age, weight and blood tests to give an overall risk factor for down's and trisomies.  This is a very specific test.
At the big 19-20 week ultrasound they may still measure the nuchal fold (they did for me too),  just like they measure everything else during this ultrasound.  They do not send this measurement out with other test results as in the first trimester screen.  They just measure it and see if you are average, above or below.  They also look for other soft markers of downs and trisomies during this ultrasound.  If you are at increased risk they definitely would have made that clear to you.  If you haven't done it already you may still be able to do the second trimester screen (quad or triple test)(not sure what the cut off date is for that one) which is just a blood draw.  I would ask your OB about this - if it comes out fine it will give you more reassurance that everything is fine !!  Best of luck.
Thank you for the great explanation! I will see my OB on Friday and suspect that he will tell me that he is not really concerned.  After researching the issue all night I think that the only reason the radiologist mentioned it in his report was because of my age (not knowing that the egg was harvested 5 years ago).  I just talked to a friend with a 2-year old that said that she was told that her baby had more than one marker for Down Syndrome during the 20-week ultrasound.  She also tested positive on the follow-up bloodwork.  Her toddler is completely healthy.  
But be warned...the triple and quad screens have a high rate of 'false postives.'
I found this link, it says that the latest this test should be done is 13 weeks 6 days.  I'm not certain how accurate it is, but here the link is so you can read it.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_nuchal-translucency-screening_118.bc
I had my n/t at 13wks and 2days of pregnancy.my n/t result was 3.4mm is this still normal?please help me..any information will be greatly appreciated thanks