Maternal & Child Community
Numbness in arms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Numbness in arms

Does anybody else wake up with the arms numb?  If I sleep on my left side, I wake up with my right arm numb and visa versa.  It's been happening for about 2 weeks or so.  I have to roll over and then the numb arm comes back.  Is this just another perk of pregnancy?
I think it is from the pregnancy.  I have woken up with numb arms and hands many times.  The only good position for me so this doesn't happen is on my back but they say not to sleep like that....what to do, what to do???!
hmmmm - that's odd - I will wake up with an arm that's gone to sleep - but its the arm that is underneath me, not the opposite one.  Are you using a sleep pillow?  Have you called your doctor's office to just ask?  My doctor's office has a nurse that will call you back so you can ask questions if you don't really need to go in and be checked.  Let us know what's going on with you!
I have numb arms too!!!  I never had this til I got PG!!!!
I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday so I will fill you guys in, but I'm guessing it has to do with the blood flow to the babies and I guess it doesn't think my arms need any while I'm sleeping :)  That's when the boys are so active.
I know tingling in the hands is common in pregnancy, perhaps this is related. They call it carpal tunnel syndrome. I think it's something to do with water retention affecting the nerves in your wrists.
I gotta tell you that the other morning my hubby had his phone sitting on my pillow and it went off - I was still sleeping so when it woke me up I wasn't happy but my arms were asleep so I couldn't pick it up to turn it off - I yelled for him to come in the bedroom and I managed to sling it across the room with my arm as he was walking through the door - he asked what was wrong and I told him - all he could do was laugh - it was pretty dang funny!!  

I love being pregnant!!  You can get away with so many things!!  :)
Every single morning I wake up like this, and also my hands ache, I am a massage therapist so going to work is extra fun right now .I only have one more week until I stop though. I think it is common in pregnancy