Maternal & Child Community
Nursing mom got first period but am late for 2nd

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My baby is 7 months old, I got my period 2 days b4 she turned 6 months (1-7-06) it is now the fifteenth and I havent gotten my period.  I am still nursing her.  I just started working last week so its no longer exclusive just in the evening and early morning. I have always been regular and I am nervous that I might be pregnant again.  I did take a HPT but it came back neg but still no period.  I plan on taking another one at the end of the week in the morning just to make sure.  My abdomen is plumper and I am having trouble closing my jeans I hav ean occasional flutter in my stomach but I am not sure if I am just paying more attention cuz I am late.  I dont get many symptoms when I am pregnant or when I am getting my period. My 1st one I noticed my breast were fuller and with my 2nd my Hubby had morning sickness so I decided to get an HPT lol.  Ive also noticed heavier discharge...please any advice is greatly appreciated
Right now since you missed a period, a HPT should be accurate. Although, sometimes they aren't. They always say test again in a week. You wouldn't be feeling any fluttering at this point if you were pregnant, I had some abdominal twinges around 5 weeks, but it wasn't flutters like baby movements. I would just wait a week and take another test, or if you can't wait that long call your Dr. As far as the breastfeeding I think it does take a little bit of time to get your periods back on track. I've had 3 but all been bottle fed, and I'm going to breastfeed with this one, so I have been reading. Anywho, before we get off track lol! I would just try and wait it out.  And it's hard in a situation like this!! Or call Mr/Mrs.OB again and see if they can do a blood test!! Good Luck to you!! and God Bless.
I am not a mom, so my comment is just a guess??  Anyway, I would assume that since you are nursing your periods will not be "regular" cycles.  Also, i know that you can still get pg while nursing even if you dont have regular cycles.  I would think that since it took you 6 months to get it after her birth (congratulations by the way)  that you may have irregular periods.  Again, just a guess.. Especially if your HPT came out negative.  GOOD LUCK!!
All you can do is take a test to find out but I was nursing my son (now 17months) and I had a period with him and then then the next month nothing.  If you are still nursing you may just be getting ready to start up again.
Thanks for your replies!  I will take another test this week.  I'm not ready for another baby just yet but I was a bit sad when the first test came back neg.  So if I am we will deal with it and if I am not we will enjoy Samantha and Brianna and get back on our feet so we can have the third!
I agree with blondie. I read that your body has to get used to ovulateing again especaily as the nursing hormones stagger down. I never experienced missing one after it returned but I know it's normal. I didn't get AF for ten months with both my girls.
While nursing my third son never had one period until I decided to quit nursing.  I did however obtain the mini pill from dr. since nursing does not mean you will not ovulate and I did not want another baby so soon after my son.  I would venture to guess your body is just adjusting to the different schedule of nursing, but I would definately consult your dr. for alternative methods of birth control to make sure you don't have another bundle of joy b4 you are ready. Good luck to you.
My friend wasn't ready to have her 2nd baby either, she really wanted to focus on her new baby.  But I believe that people are born for a reason. If you are pregnant, please don't be upset. Think of yourself as blessed. There are so many of us who have diffucult times getting pregnant. And they would be jealous to hear that you could get pregnant so fast and easy.
On the other hand, you may not be pregnant. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Ya, I didn't like first response, definitly get clearblue.  How old is your baby?
I was nursing my first baby now 7 and half months old i went to the doctors when she was around 4 months old for her needles only to discover i was 7 weeks pregnant i dont even remember doing the deed around then as i had stitches so what i am saying is anythings possible i didnt even have a period and i was on the mini pill.
the last thing i expected was pregnancy i was just having cramps for a few weeks so he said he would do an ultrasound to see if any clots seeing as how i had just given birth nope just a baby i was pritty shocked but hey now i couldent be happier i will have my hands full as i am nearly 6 months pregnant and this one is due a week befor the firsts dd birthday thats enough on my story you should also take another hpt as mine never showed to atleast 2 weeks past af due date best of luck to you i hope everything turns out the way you want it.
one of the main things i did notice when i had fallin pregnant was that my milk supply was decreasing did yours.
I read this post with a knot in my stomach... I am breastfeeding and have a 'feeling' that I could possibly be pregnant... and I've taken tests that show -ve, but I still have that gut feeling.  Hopefullly it's wrong-- not ready for another right now...  but if I am, then it is just like mandymoo-- I really don't remember doing the deed around the time I think it possibly may have happened... and now I am really nervous because I used first response... better go buy another PT.  Baby dust to someone else please, not me!
My friend got pregnant while she was breastfeeding. The HPT that I like the best is ClearBlue. It's always so fast and clear for me. First response PT, I didn't like,  It told me I was negative at 5 weeks pregnant.
dont think like that let me tell you i was pritty shocked myself and like the last poster said everybody is born for a reason and there is always enough love for all children which i didnt think was possible but as soon as i saw the little thing moving and wriggling which by the way is another girl i fell in love again.There are still days now where i think how am i going to do it 1 baby takes up my whole day but just think you only have to do it once pressuming thats ur only child then uv got the rest of the time to enjoy yourself i am no good at writing posts take that hpt and let us no what happens best of luck to you dont stress.
Hi, 1 wanted to plan for a 2nd baby, since my 1st baby already 17mths old.  However, as i'm still breastfeeding my baby, and because of that my period become very irregular and is very difficult to predict my ovulation.  I understand breastfeeding mum is very difficult to conceive while still breastfeeding.  Here is the problem, my last period is on 30th Dec 05, and till now there is still no sign of my period coming, its kind of late.  I took the pregnancy test kid, however indicate as negative.  Please help!!!  God Bless Chloe
I had occasional irregular (like, one or two a year) periods when my first was a baby (he was hard to wean) and a couple of times thought I was pregnant, and wasn't.  But I know someone who got pregnant with a baby who fed every 2 hours (who knows how).  I think it is far to be sad and shocked and frightened at any pregnancy, no matter how wanted it is or isn't.  Brings up huge issues.  Of course, you will love the baby and you will cope if it is the case, and think of the occasional people who suddenly find themselves pregnant with multiples and so on, but I think some early panic is OK
I'm in the same boat. I have two children and am seriously late for my period. I will thankfully accept another child from the Lord, but I am really not ready right now. we'll see.
Hey All,

Just thought I'd jump in. I'm also nursing a 18 month old, and have had fairly regular periods for the last six months. But this one just won't come. It is now a week overdue. We use Natural Family Planning, and if I did conceive it would have been at least 24 days after the the first day of my last menstral period. Amazing if that is the case.

I've also taken several pregnancy tests (different brands) all negative. I'm wondering if my daughter's intense nursing schedule--some nights it is at least seven times--has caused a prolactin increase which actually suppressed ovulation.

I also don't feel pregnant or bloated, but have been crampy. I kept thinking that was my period, but still nothing! I'm headed to the OBGYN to get checked out.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you all think

Just letting you know that I'm in a similar situation.  I had my first period (while nursing my 10 month old full time), but now I'm 3 days late (I've always been exactly 28 days).  Got a negative on the pregnancy test, so just waiting another week to take another one.  It is funny, I'm not ready to be pregnant again, but that twinge of disappointment seeing the negative definitely shot through my veins.  Gotta love it.
Hi.  I am nursing a 10 month old (2nd baby) and got my first period on May 7.  I still haven't gotten the second one, but the PT says negative.

Just wondering if any of you who took  a PT and got a neg later took one and got a positive?

I have always had late periods, but never over 40 days.  I also have "pregnant feelings," but I am sure all of you know how that can go!  We're not really planning for #3 this soon, but I did have the sad feeling when the test came up negative and just wondering if there was any hope it might be wrong.
ok, So i am semi in the same boat.  My son is now just 7 months and I have not had a period since Dec 25th so i am just about two months late.  Have taken two hpt and both were neg (although they were first response).  I am still breastfeeding and he nurses pretty regular so i am hoping this may be throwing me off.  I am not ready for another baby seeing as he is so young.  But needless to say babys are always a blessing and we would make it work. I had a dream i was pregnant and i was crying thinking i was taking away my sons baby time. haha must be kinda stressed about it. from birth my periods have been every month although im breastfeeding; so it makes me think i am because its been almost two months without. eeek :)
I have the same situation I just had my baby on dec 13 Im a full timer breastfeeding mom my period came back Jan 18, and now is feb 28 and still no period I was worried once feb 21 hit but than I went to the clinic because i'm gettin an iud placed in and they gave me a pregnancy test, it came out negative but I'm still worried. It's my first child I'm 26yrs old and I just want to know if this is normal or not?
hi,am nursing my 9months old daughter,last 3months i saw my period,last 2months it came twice but it last only two days and it was very light,last month it came and lasted two days and it is still light, but this month i haven't seen it.and my nipple is very sensitive .should i worry or is my body just changing?it happened to me when i was nursing my first son.he is just 8months i got pregnate with the second one.can it still happen again?
im in the same boat. My period came for 2 days over a month ago haven't seen it since. My daughter just turned 7 months yesturday. I love babies just not ready to have another one. I took 3 preg test all showed neg. i just chocked it up to my periods are irreguar ( i hope)
So glad I found this message board. I am still breastfeeding and my son is 7 months old. My period came back in May and lasted 6 days. There was no sign of it in June and now it is July and my breast are really sensitive. Going to get a PT. Not ready to have another baby though. Hope it is just a irregular period.
im in the same boat exclusivly b/f had period aug 21 2010 and its sept 26 period no show but alot of backpain and cramping could i be pregnant
im a mother of 6 months old baby.......n for last 6 months im exclusively feeding...i had ceserean  operation..after this i got my period from the same day of operation.......it ended after 40 -41 days..since then i havnt got my period back..so is it normal during lactation as im regularly checking my pregnancy test n it always comes negative...what shud i do bcz my gynec also gave me pills (MEPRATE) for it bt nothing happened....
yogi1985
Hi Yogi, just wanted to let you know that most women don't get their period for a while when they are exclusively nursing. My son is 14 months old and I only got my period last month for the first time. So as long as your are being careful and your pregnancy test results are negative, you should be fine. Hope that helps!
I have been reading everyone post and comments an will say that I'm more confused than ever. I just had my 2nd child 4 1/2 months ago. I stared my period last month to my surprise and have missed my period for this month. The other day I did have some pinkish discharge an have had cramping as if I am going to start. Now I  am concerned that I could be pregnant. I have not taken a pregnancy test yet guess I am a little scared. We will be happy either way but, wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.
The exact same thing is happening to me...curious to know your outcome. I have almost 3yr old (March) and a 4 1/2 month old...love my babies but already have my hands full! Wondering if you ended up pregnant b/c I don't want to buy a test...not ready to find out yet I guess...