Maternal & Child Community
OT - Success in First Grade?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

OT - Success in First Grade?

Do any of you with older children at Elementary School level remember how well their little guys did in first grade? My six-year-old`s very first report card shows nothing but Bs and a C in writing/ reading. Even though he received a math award in SK and despite him reading simple books to me at home, we don`t see any peak in this report.
Does this sound like reason to worry about his performance yet?

I tend to not get stressed out about grades as I can see that my son is doing well at home. He is rather tongue-tied in class and never readily shows his full potential from what I can tell by the teacher`s comments. However, his Dad was looking for an indication whether our son was to be considered average or close to "falling through the cracks".
To me a B means good and and A means excellent. Good sounds just wonderful to me after four months of grade 1 but I may be just a bit too relaxed for his own good in the long run. What do you think?

I worked as a teacher at college level for a while, different country, and remember that from one year to the next we were suddenly encouraged to drop the grades and evaluations by one level overall in order to maintain a truly excellent A as "truly excellent". Also, the report cards for the first term of a grade were usually written slightly negative so that any improvement would embellish both the student and the teacher. Sometimes I wonder if similar forces are in place at my son`s school...

Thank you for reading through this. Now I am curious to learn about your approach to help your children be their best.
Trial,  I don't think a child's performance in first grade is an indication of their true potential,  either way.  

I've lived in this same place all my married life,  and have watched a generation of children grow up.  The top kids in first grade are as likely to be in Juvy right now,  and the kids who struggled are likely to be on top.  One notable child I knew well who "couldn't master first grade skills" - a quote on his report card - is now pre-med at Berkeley.  

All three of my boys entered Kindergarten reading on a second grade level and that didn't help them through fourth grade - the others had all caught up by then.

In my experience,  look at the intelligence and achievement of the parents,  and that's where the kids will end up.  You're smart,  so so is your son.

yep.  also had to throw in that my son, being more advanced right now than any of his peers (he recently transferred from his private school w/ advanced curriculum to public) is only getting bs grades from the teacher.  i know they are bs b/c just 2 months ago he was making all a's and b's and had won the spelling bee for 2nd grade!  he had so many achievement awards at 1st grade graduation, that he had to have assistance holding them on stage.  i feel strongly that this new teacher's problem is jealousy of either my son or maybe the whole family, who knows?  
just saying that sometimes the teachers can just be jack a**es when they hold that red pen
Thank you RR for the broader picture. Looking at my own family, I realize that despite severe rebellion in younger years, most of us ended up being engineers, through three generations. It shows once again that children do as they see and not so much what they are told superficially...

And this is how it will always be, T, isn`t it? We get enthusiasm from some and criticism from others. The same achievements can be over- and underestimated. As long as our kids don`t lose the joy of learning and improvement and take pride in themselves, they are on the right way.
Have you asked these same questions of his teacher, Trialanderror?  I would be interested to hear what types of assignments and assessments are factoring into his grade of b/c.