Maternal & Child Community
Old wives tales

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Old wives tales

Hey girls I thought this might be fun and give us a little smile. Post a wives tale that you had heard from either family or friend.

Lets see my grandmother told me to put a potatoe under the armpit of a baby that has a fever and it was supposed to suck all the fever out.

Theres mine now what kinds of wives tales have you gotten or heard of?

Christine who loves the wives tales lol
Tags: maternal
Hey guys,  I just wanted to share some very happy news.  I had an appt with my new doctor's office today...I actually have a midwife now named Pattie.  From the first minute I walked in, it was a wonderful experience...contrary to my previous doc.  Anyway, she did a thorough exam and history and we talked for about an hour about my pregnancy and everything that had been happening (low progesterone, bacterial infection, spotting, etc).  She was honest and told me that she had never had anyone with that low of a prog. level (3.3) and still have a viable pregnancy.  I was sad but at least she was being honest and preparing me.  Anyway, she sent me straight to the ultrasound tech who works in their office to see how things were.  I prayed like crazy during the drive over there!  The u/s tech was professional and their equipment was top notch (3D machine and all).  Well, she saw the fetal pole and a STRONG heartbeat!!!  She turned up the volume and I started crying when I heard the heartbeat echoing in the room.  I am 7 wks and everything looks great.  They both want me to come back on the 10th since I've had the low prog & spotting those 3 days. But they think there is no reason for worrying and the spotting was from the bacterial infection and that's all clear now. They are totally focused on making sure everything is ok and monitoring me closely until I'm 12 wks. Today was a really good day guys (after this rough past 5 days) and I just wanted to share it with you.  Thank you for you prayers...they've helped me sooo much.

TTYL,
Bevin
That is so awsome!!! I would have started crying as well. I had a dream last night that I was pg and on my first ultasound visit and could see the baby and everything was really a nice dream. I am glad you got a new doc well a midwife, I think midwives are awsome because they are so one on one with you. I am going to be taking a Doula class in October and I can not wait.

GREAT BIG CONGRATULATION ON YOUR NEW MIDWIFE!!
Christine
Wow, that's great.  I would imagine that being a Doula would be so rewarding.
You know what made me want to do it is. Well we live on a military base and some of the girls are left alone while they are pg and have no support, there families are far away and when you first get to a base it is hard making new friends right away. My neighbor gave birth to her baby two weeks after her hubby was sent to Iraq, he was 8 months old before he saw his new lil one. I thought even if I just volunteer for a year or so here on base I could turn it into a great stay at home job. Well only going out for visits and deliveries. The course they offer here is run by a hospital about 45 minutes from me and has a lot of babies born everyday..they said like 30, thats quite a few. It is a huge hospital and I am so excited to be going. When I gave birth to my daughter in 91 Doulas were not that known of then, but now you see ads for them in the papers and everywhere.

Again I am so glad that you got a new doc hon.

God Bless
Christine
Yeah!!! I am so happy for you. What a relief it must be. It's all good and keep us posted of course. I had to call my doc. today because of the terrible  pain in my leg and bottom  from the daily shots last night could barely walk, and while I had him on the phone I had to ask him what really in his heart was the hope that it could stil be ok on friday even w/my low HCG 528 inst. 700-800 his answer conforted me at least til friday plus your prayers girls! he said there is a reasonable chance husband and I want to think that there is a CHANCE.

Keep eachother posted
congratulations again and again...
Hugs
Geneva
did you check lately your progesterone level? do you still need to check HCG at this stage?

Geneva
Christine,

My father is a retired Colonel, so growing up in that environment and having a close friend who is married to a captain, I know how important a Doula would be for a military dependant.  Not only are a lot of women alone, like you said, but the patient care in the military is not the best in terms of one-on-one care.  They treat women like cattle and most see a dif't doctor at every visit.  I can see where being a Doula would give women the comfort and attention that pregnant women really need.  Good luck in you noble endeavor.

Geneva,

I will keep the 3 of you in my prayers. It is still so early, so be positive...things can improve.  I will get my blood work done again when I go back but my midwife doesn't thi9nk it's necessary.  I am on progesterone and doing what can be done so really the ultra sound is the bet indicator of how things are progressing since I am far enough along to do the measurements, see heartbeat, etc.  But, again, it's still early so we both have to stay postivie, do what we can and the rest is in God's hands.

Have a wonderful evening ladies!  And like Christine always says:  Big Hug! ((((HUG))))
Bevin I am so happy for you, Im gonna cry! I think I would like to look into a doula. Last time I had a baby my husband really had no clue how to help me. 1st time my step-mom was there (shes had 3 all natural at home) and she was a great help. She helped me through the pain so well, unfortunatly I ended up with emergency c-section. Where do you look for a doula?
hey girls, I for giggles went and got another pg test tonight after I went and had a girl time out and had my nails and toes done at the beauty shop. Well I took an ept and guess what it was a light line but everyone I have showed it to including hubby said it is POS. Me on the other hand am still scepticle lol. I look at and see it there but say uh uh no way...Well we will see lol. I have my doc appt on the 2nd so will definately tell then...You should have seen me, well we have to stop at a security gate when we enter the military base and me so in shock said can you see this..and all the guys go Congratulations!!! See even complete strangers are saying it is there lol But I am still saying I will wait lol.

God bless
Christine
Haha... No questions are stupid. From what I know it is a person you hire who helps you through pregnancy and delivery. a support person. She is involved quite a bit with the process, but she does not deliver the baby. Its support for a mother who has none or little. My husband , despite 2 lamaze classes, is still clueless on how to help me in labor.
You should definitely look into being a doula.  I work at home and am actually looking for something part time to get me out of the house, meet people, etc., I think I may look into that as well.  I was pre-med with a Biology degree before I got pregnant with my 8 yr old (my ex was in law school so I had to get a good job).  Anyway, my dreams of med school fell by the way side since I became a single Mom when she was 2 and it would have kept me away from her.  I'm thankful to put my energy into my family but still think sometimes about pursuing something medically...other than nursing...that would really help people.  Never even thought of a Doula til Christine brought it up.  Anwyay, thought you might like this website:

http://www.doula.com/

Btw, how are you doing?  Feeling ok and everything good w/ the pregnancy?
Yes im good. so far imjust really tired at times. I was wondering though, I have some discharg, I cant remember if I had it before. Thicker than the o'ing stuff. Im thinking maybe itsjust seepege from my body making mucus plug.....oooh this sounds so gross sorry. What are your thoughts. Actually im in school rightnow to be an elementary school teacher. I do want a doula for me for my pregnacy.do you have icq?
ok, sorry for stupid question, what is a "doula"?
thanks
hey girly.. i am excited.. if anyone can see it then its there.. im so happy for you.. nothing here yet.. waiting for af to start i took a 4 day early test 3 days ago and negative.. so im waiting for af to hit the 30th of this month or the 1st of next.. not sure this month though because of the werid period i had last.. so oh well.. i have some slight cramps on one side and breast tenderness so i guess shes coming.. HOPE EVERYTHING GOES GOOD!!

~*Chloe*~
Thank you so much I am still awake at 11 pm almost in shock and still a little worried. But I will stop stressing. I am going with my mom in the morning to a few antique shops and I am not sure if I am gonna tell her yet, I am still scared about my last m/c and wonder if I should wait till my appt on the 2nd, but if she ever found out she would kick my but lol. She is real supportive of me trying to get pg.

I had remembered I posted a few days ago about being nauseated. That had never let up, I was really thinking that it was just a bug or I had eaten something but now I know why, I can deal with this, I just want a healthy baby.

BEVIN I would recomed a Doula career for anyone that loves helping others, my MIL is a volunteer at a crisis pg center and she has for years and loves it. But she is also there for these girls when they need other things as well like doc visits when they go and if they have no one to go to hosp, she would go with them, almost like doula.

If anyone is interested in finding a Doula in there area or on becoming one..here is a great link. It is Doulas of North America. And most certified Doulas are listed with them.
http://www.dona.org/

If that link does not work just go to www.dona.org

Take care girls and ((((HUGS))))) to you all!!!

Christine
Yeah! Im so happy for you.My second pregnancy when I took a test, it was also so light I doubted it. But it was a Positive. If you can see anything it is positive if read within the time limit....
CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so happy for you - can't wait to hear more from you. When I think we were on the phone yesterday...so cool! you will see the 2nd is just around the corner. I would tell my mom after the hubby of course. Unless she worries a lot.
Keep us posted
Hugs to you and the others
Geneva
I'm Native American from Round Valley Indian Tribes ,mother of 3 boys Native American old wives tale is if you see a POTATOE BUG your PREGNANT well I seen one last night and there were 2 found at my work hmmm ...