Maternal & Child Community
One Swollen Tonsil in 2 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

One Swollen Tonsil in 2 year old

I am very concerned about my 2 year old. Her left tonsil is very swollen. It also feels hard to the touch. I have noticed this for about two months. She is also drooling a lot and saying that her "mouth hurts" and just acting like she doesn't feel well in general. The doctor, who is very laid back about everything, says it is just what her tonsil looks like. I am concerned that it may be a tumor. She hasn't lost any weight or anything. This is driving me crazy. I have read that one enlarged tonsil could mean cancer. Could this be the case with my daughter?
Why don't you get a referral to an Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist who can diagnose your daughter?  If your primary care physician won't give you a referral, at least demand some testing like white blood count, strep, etc.
My 5 year old daughter has two very large tonsils, but her doctor says they are normal and there is nothing to worry about.  They are about the same size, just very large.  However, in your case, it sounds like you need to take your child to an Ear, Nose & Throat doctor as soon as possible.  As a mother, I would!
Thanks for the advice. I have since taken her to a specialist and she will have a tonsillectomy at the end of this month. Hopefully everything will turn out ok!!
How is your little girl?  Did her surgery go okay?
Help my son has a tonsil tumor - are these rare, are they cancer?  Only one-sided!
OOPS- yes, he has seen ENT That is who said has tumor.  Needs tonsilectomy and biopsy stat.  BUT.....????????  I want some answers.
My 2 year old daughters throat has been extremely swollen for 5 monthes im suprised she can eat or even breath her lymnoids are literally touching! the doctors keep giving her antibiotics which do not phase this at all i recently started her on steroids which i am very against especially for her age, can anyone tell me what this night be so i can maybe speak with her doctor about trying other tests.
I too am going through the same thing with my 2 year old son. on may 8th when we were blowing out my candles i noticed a shiny pink lump in my sons mouth i hurried to open his mouth thinking he was trying to swollow a toy or something. at that time i noticed his left tonsil was so swollen it touched that dangly thing in the middle and he whistles while he sleeps. so i rushed him to er. they had put him on a 5 days steroid treatment and a bunch of antibiotics. which i feel for him for he is taking like 5 meds at one time. the steriods are done with and his tonsil is still the same i go back on monday and his doctor said he might take both of them out if the problem persists. i rahter go to a specialist. i hate his doctor his all for the motrin. i hope someone can let me know as well. what this maybe. just to look at his tonsil it looks normal pink and all just huge. teresa_hinojosa***@****
My 25 mo old had tonsils so swollen, it was a 4 scale. Dad is a lung specialist and was set against use of steroids as prescribed by ped. After 5 nights of sleep deprivation & apnea we consulted an ENT who put him on a tapered dose of steroids, 2 doses 5 ml worked wonders. Sometimes weigh the benefits , we felt that prolonged sleep apnea in our child was worse than 5 days use of steroids. As a mom I was stuck between the ped and my hubby, seeing my child suffer, I'm glad it worked for now,hopefully we won't have to use it again. Email me if u want flowerofcarnage777ATgmail
what did you ever find out?
my child is 2yrs. old and has the same thing going on and we dont know what to do.
What was you outcome? I have the same issue with my daughter. One swollen right tonsil with 2 slightly enlarged lymph nodes on the same side. She was screened for Lymphoma and everything came back fine..including her chest xray. She has an appt with an ENT next week. Would love to hear a positive outcome. Everything you read is so scary.