Maternal & Child Community
One year old only drinks formula - no solids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My son will be one year old in a few weeks and he still really only drinks formula.  We've had problems with chronic spitting up and vomiting since birth so he can only take in 5 oz at a time and still eats every 3 hours.  We've introduced rice cereal and stage 2 baby foods which he tolerates ok but only consumes about 3 tbs of cereal and a jar of food per day along with the formula.  I am trying to get him onto more solid foods but he seems to have much more spitting up and vomitting when we do and the chunks just come back up.

We've tested him for GERD and reflux and those came back negative.  We put him on Prevacid and Xantac but nothing has worked.  Has anyone else experienced this?  He is gaining weight - gradually.

Thank you for any information.  He goes in for his annual check up next month and I will address this with the Dr as well but thought I'd get some ideas from other parents experiencing the same thing.
My concern would be that he gains weight appropriately enough, and has a good balance of vitamins and nutrients, and that you are taking extra care to brush his teeth and not letting him sleep all night without brushing them (to give them a break of several hours from being coated with the proteins and sugars of formula).  

If you have all of that covered, in my mind it is not the end of the world if a child is not ready to eat solids regularly at 11 months.  In many societies, children breastfeed until they are 3 or more, and although of course that is not is their exclusive form of nutrition by then, it is not impossible to imagine humans are more or less built to be on mostly liquid nutrition for a longer time than modern pediatrics says they should.  

That said, I'd run it by the doctor, too.  Maybe even take some baby food to the appointment and show the doctor how he eats.

Good luck!
Maybe he is too full because he is being bottle fed every 3 hours? Isnt that a newborn - 6months routine? When did you start to introduce him to the solid foods...Just now? Or around 6months?

Maybe he needs it blended extremely well.

See the doctor for sure.

I would replace the every 3 hour bottle with water only...and give him a milk bottle every 4 hours...for instance a milk bottle at 8am, then a water bottle ONLY at 11 along with solid foods...another milk bottle at 2pm....and then solid foods at 3 along with a milk bottle incase he naps...etc.

This way he has an appetite for solid foods...how is his weight?
Does he have four or more teeth?