Maternal & Child Community
Only one fallopian tube

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Only one fallopian tube

I just found out at my post surgical visit after laproscopic surgery on a cyst, that my doctor had to remove my fallopian tube on the left side. I asked if this affects fertility, and she said no, what has anyone heard on the subject? I want a baby more than to win the lottery. Has anyone been through this before?
i don't know too much about this, except for what i've read on here. some women on here have said that it's fine - sometimes it could just lessen the chances due to usually ovulation takes turns on each side, but others have said with one fallopian tube that that side makes up for it and ovulates eggs from that side more often or the other side jumps it over to that fallopian tube - something like that. i'm sure that people who know more can give you more info. i know i've read about it recently - maybe if you do a search you'll find more info. just go to search forums and type in one fallopian tube - i'm sure you'll come up with something. good luck!!
Right.  You still have the other fallopian tube and are still fertile.  :-)
The doctor said something like that, that the left ovary can still ovulate and the right tube will pick it up 50% of the time. I appreciate your kind words, I will try to search for it, thank you.
I have just been through the same surgery to remove endometrosis and was told that one of my tubes had been destroyed. My fertility dr is very hopefull . I will start injecting myself with fertility drugs for 6 days then do icsi. Good luck to the 2 of us
my sis has dealt with endomet. for years with many surgeries and the loss of one over. with the use of clomid after a good scraping (lap. surg) she is now the mother of a 3 year old and 3 month old. she has a dr that specializes in endo. best of luck to you all and i hope your bfp show soon.
Thank you it's always good to hear such positive stories!
Sorry for your loses, i wish you luck in your ttc journey!!! Baby dust for us all************************
Hey.  I injected fertility drugs after a tubal rupture and several miscarriages and I am now 6 weeks pregnant.  The good follicles (eggs) were on my right side and traveled to my left tube to be fertilized.  I was going to do an IUI (insemination) but the fertility dr. said not to, since the chances of the egg traveling are less, but it worked on our own (with drugs, of course).  It can happen, keep your head up!
Thank you ladies i really need words of encouragement right now!
I too found out I had only one working tube by laparscopy in Nov. 05.  I had it removed.  We actually conceived twice however lost both babies one to cervical ectopic and the other due to blighted ovum.  One time we conceived I had five follicles (i took chlomid) on the bad side and somehow we conceived.  The second time I had one egg on my good side and conceived.  Typically, many doctors say on average eggs are released from your ovaries rotating sides each month.  However, like some said and by my experience, the other tube can pick up your eggs from your lacking side.  It's very hard and scary having one tube, I know.  I feel I only have every other month chance.  I will be beginning to take injectibles soon to help create eggs on both sides so I know for sure I'll have a chance each month.  Injectibles pretty reliably help both ovaries produce eggs.  Good look to you:)))  Wishing all us with one tube the chance to be a success story for others.
I just wanted to let you know that my mom had to have her right ovary and fallopian tube removed when she was 19 and then she went on to have three children with no problems.  I also had an ovarian cyst when i was 19 and ended up having my left ovary and fallopian tube removed as well.  I am hoping that i can be like my mom and go on to have sucessful pregnancies.  Hope this helps at all.  I know how stressful it can be wondering if all things will work.  :)
I just wanted to give you a bit of hope. I found out I had a dermoid cyst on my right ovary last year. I had to have it removed because the cyst had taken over the ovary by surgery time. They removed the ovary and tube. I was worried and googled myself to death looking for info on probability. I just found out 3 days ago that I am pregnant. My doctor told me after the surgery that the remaining ovary will make up for the missing one. If you think about it, they say that the ovaries are in a race every month to see which one can release first. This way there is no race the remaining ovary just wins by default. Hope this gives you a little hope!!
Congratulations, what wonderful news!!