Maternal & Child Community
Organic Food

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Organic Food

I am not pregnant yet (actually miscarried at the beginning of June) but I was wondering how many of you strictly eat organic foods while pregnant.  I try to buy organic veggies and fruit because of all the pesticides/fetilizers used but other than that I really don't make a big thing about it.  The reason why I ask is that a friend of mine only eats organic foods when she is ttc and pregnant and told me I needed to do the same.  Am I a bad person for not buying organic milk, cheese, etc, etc?  I know my mom didn't eat organic when she was pregnant with me.
If you believe the FDA (personally, I don't) there is no difference between organic food and nonorganic food.  I do eat mostly organic.  There are some things that I am stricter on.  Many foods are known to absorb pesticides much more than others.  If you are considereing going organic then I would start with these foods: strawberries, apples, tomatoes, and peppers.  These foods retain pretty much whatever is put on them.  I also only do organic dairy.  Cows are pumped with so many hormones that I have a hard time believing it's not harmful.  There was some study done many years back that indicated many girls are getting their periods early b/c of all the hormones in dairy.  I don't eat meat, but you may consider doing organic meat, too.

For me, the bottomline is that I don't want to eat poison.  They may call it "conventional" produce, but the truth is that it's poisoned produce.  There are many things that were once considered accpetable that we now know was harmful.  Lead, mercury, asbestos, and teflon come to mind.  Whether or not nonorganic food is harmful probably remains to be seen.  But if you can afford to switch to organic, even if it's only for some foods, then I would try to do it.
I've also swithced to organic since I went off the pill and will be really ttc soon (we're not using anyt protection, but we're not timing anything around my O to concieve (conceive) yet- next month maybe).  The reason for this is that my physical therapist was telling me about a friend of his who researches autism and claims it is the next big thing. The rates of children born with autism has increased immensely and she attributes it to the hormones we put in dairy, and other things in "conventional" produce.  I know several women who give birth to healthy babies without doing the organic thing, but for me, it's more reassuring.  I'm more comfortable going that way.  I'm mainly doing the dairy and when we start to concieve (conceive) or get pg, I will prob switch completely.  It is your choice, and good luck with the decision.
I'm really not an organic food person, but I have changed some of my eating habits in the past few years. We always buy soy milk now, I agree with the previous poster about all the hormones pumped into cows and its really scary. DH is all about eating meat meat meat, and I live in a small town in Texas so it is hard to find organic meat (at least that is somewhat fresh). I buy organic veggies and fruit sometimes. We are on a pretty slim budget and organic foods can be more expensive. I try to do as much as I can. I don't always buy organic veggies, but I have heard that frozen veggies are a lot better than fresh produce ( I think they still use pesticides, but at least the veggies are thoroughly washed so it is slightly better than the fresh stuff that you have to scrub with a brillo pad...). I would say if you can afford to go all organic, its probably better for you. At least make a few changes, pick a few things that you are willing to go organic with and maybe slowly add to it later.
As for pregnancy, I don't think it will affect you or your baby too much if at all if you eat non-organic foods. Just try to eat as healthy as you can and remember the vitamins. Good luck.
I don't really think it's that big of a deal. I mean, if regular food were really that bad, wouldn't the rate of birth defects would have increased in the past 50 years. This is not the case. I do agree that you should eat as much healthy food as you can, but organic food is expensive, and most people have perfectly healthy babies while eating regular food. If you can afford it, and you feel it's important, go for it. If you can't afford it, you should absolutely NOT feel guilty, or like you're giving your baby a bad start.
I'm not a huge advocate of organic food, but I am all into avoiding processed foods. I try to avoid any foods that are bursting with preservatives. No microwave dinners in my fridge, or margarine, sweet n low etc, or even little debbies snack cakes. I am a person of moderation so it doesn't bother me at all to buy real butter or real sugar, because I don't use it that often. I would much rather feed my family a non-organic apple than a microwave dinner. Blah. I call it cancer in a box. Anyway, I think anything that we can do to be healthier is only going to help us and our families.
Just wanted to say that although it's true that birth defects have gone down other things have gone way up.  Asthma, autism, and ADHD to name a few.  I'm certainly not suggegsting that the cause is from eating non-organic food.  I just wanted to point out that the absence in an increase of birth defects doesn't mean everything is just A-OK with child growth and development.  This isn't an attack on you.  Just a thought I had after reading your comment.
I actually work for an herbal supplements/organic products manufacturer (Flora Health).  I had never ate anything organic until I started working here.  I've really learned so much about what we eat.  Also Oprah had a segment on organic and healthy food a couple months ago.  There are certain things you should stay away from: artifical sweetners (splenda, sweet & low) because they cause cancer in furry little animals, high fructose corn syrup, hydroginated oils, vegtable oil, etc.  If you stick to organic food none of those things appear.  If you want a sweetner for your iced tea or coffee use Stevia.  An earlier poster is completely right about the hormones and anitbiotics that are injected into animals and then we eat their meat which means we are injesting all of those things.  I'll be honest, I haven't switched over completely but I have changed my eating habits dramatically.  I try and buy produce and dry foods organic.  If I can afford it I will buy organic meat.  But I still enjoy taco bell and wendy's!  Obviously if you eat non organic here and there you won't keel over next month but I wholeheartedly believe that long term use of non organic can shorten your lifespan.  
Amanda
You are right that all those have increased in diagnosis. I do agree that food additves clearly play a part in children's behavior (especially regarding ADHD). I think poor diet is even more responsible than food additives. Parents let their kids eat garbage, and drink sugary, caffeinated soda all day, then wonder why they can't focus in school, or behave. The increase in diagnosis og Autism and ADHD in my opinion is due to the fact that learning disabilities are more noticed, and accepted now than they used to be. I do think that ADHD is grossly overdiagnosed. Certainly it exists, but it is also a catch all excuse for poorly disciplined children. I also know quite a lot about autism, and am aware that dietary changes often bring some improvement in behavior and symptoms. As for asthma, I think that it is mostly due to enviromnental issuses like smog. I am totally for healthy eating, but I think a lot can be acomplished just by choosing healthy foods over processed.
I would agree especially about the organic milk, plus, it simply tastes so much better than non-organic milk.  I had stopped drinking milk at all because it didn't taste that good to me any more, and come to find that organic milk tastes really good to me.  Anything that helps you eat in a healthy way will be an ally when you are pregnant, even if that thing is simply the better flavor of the food.
Don't even get me started on the over DXing of ADHD!  I worked as a preschool teacher for over 10 years and you would be amazed to know how many of my co-teachers were so ready to label a kid, even kids as young as three.  And I totally agree with you about people letting their kids eat garbage.  It shocks me!  We really are pretty uneducated about what's in our food and it's pretty sad.