Over-The-Counter Progesterone
At about 5 weeks my HCG (I think that's what they call the hormone) is at 22,000. Is this normal? Two days pro=ior it was at 16,000.
My dilemma is this. Should I switch doctor's? I've had two previous blighted ovums. Lats week I went to a new doctor and told her my history. i asked that she check my progesterone levels since I had been reading that it is common that those who have blighted ovums generally have low progesterone. She gave me a U/S bc i am high-risk (35 yrs old) and (as some of you know) only saw a sac, then told me it was probably another blighted ovum. She said she'd call with my HCG levels and never did. I called this morning and the receptionist gave them to me. I asked if she checked my progesterone levels and she checked and said no. Now is this clearly just disregarding the patient (me) and assuming that just because you are the doctor that you are right? I feel disregarded. I asked the receptionist if she could ask the doc to call me today and she said b/c the doc was on call all weekend she was off today and couldn't be contacted until tomorrow.
Meanwhile, hypothetically, what if it has been my progesterone levels and b/c of her oversight I have another blighted ovum.
I'm sorry I'm venting.
I'm tempted to just get some over-the-counter progesterone. i've read some boards where women have actually done this. Could this be safe?
God bless.
Val

I had some questionable numbers with my fourth and my doc ordered progesterone supp. Now the use of progesterone is controversial, many docs will offer it, despite there not being a lot of evidence to support its use in preventing a loss. In my case, it literally just delayed the inevitable. I also had a blighted ovum, unfortunately by that point using the progesterone was useless as nature had already stepped in. Once I stopped using the supp, my m/c was able to start naturally.

For the progesterone to work, it would generally need to be started in the very beginning or even before conception actually takes place and only if you have been dx with low progesterone. In cases of a blighted ovum, it cannot reverse it or fix it. I had actually heard a blighted ovum was a case of either a "bad" egg or sperm. Not necessarily related to pregesterone levels.

Despite the turn this pregnancy has taken, which if it is another blighted ovum it can't be fixed. I do suggest finding a new doc who may be a bit more receptive to your concerns. Perhaps a new doc will set you up with progesterone while TTC.

I think at this point getting an OTC progesterone cream will delay the inevitable. I am very sorry to hear how things have progressed :-(

Andi

Andi
Most often, you have lower progesterone levels due to a pregnancy that is not forming right.  If your HCG levels were that high, they should have seen something if it were a normally progressing pregnancy.

A normal, healthy pregnancy is generally accompanied by normal progesterone levels.  Progesterone levels vary day to day, even hour to hour.  One isolated test means little.  

If you are indeed having another blighted ovum, all the progesterone cream in the world will not prevent the outcome.

I hope everything turns out ok for you.  

Thanks. I sometimes need to hear a voice of reason.

Val
I don't think it would be uncalled for to ask for another ultrasound. Now whether or not they offer it is up to them. But in know that with mine despite the slow rising hcg levels, I still felt like I needed to see or have actual proof it was indeed a blighted ovum. Once I went in for the u/s and told the tech what i suspected and let her know that she didn't need to be overly concerned if it was, I felt much better. She looked at everything and confirmed what i had suspected. While I was sad, I was also finally at peace, having confirmed what I suspected for weeks. It enabled me to move on, to grieve the loss of not only that pregnancy but the loss of my mother that had occured only 6 days before getting that BFP.

Has your doctor run any tests? Again, my understanding was that blighted ovums were more of a fluke than linked ot any particular cause, but perhaps testing could help understand things a little further.

Again, I am so sorry for your losses. Having had 5 myself I know it never gets any easier.

Andi
I have personally experienced 4 loses and one still birth and two live births so far but refuse to give up. Due to my history with miscarriages, I was always put on Progesterone Supp. as soon as I find out I am pregnant. I have had issues with low progesterone counts and insisted I was put on the progesterone Supp. I spent a lot time on the internet searching for answers.

What I found was the following: THere are two factors. THe HCG level and the Progesterone level. To get a good analysis of your HCG count, you need to do two tests. A normal HCG level count typically doubles within 72 hours.
I will suggest you camp out at your doctors office and demand answers, or change doctors immediately.

PLease take some time to search for "HCG LEVEL" and "PROGESTERONE LEVEL" on the internet. This will arm you with soem information before your next visit.