Maternal & Child Community
Overweight Children

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Overweight Children

My child is very overweight and I am looking for anyone with information on how I can help him.

He is 13, I have tried several things to get him to exercise and eat right but am having problems keeping track of everything he is doing and eating.

Is he interested in trying out for any sports?  Would he go for a bike ride with you or a walk?  Make it like you dont want to go alone and would love his company.  Sign him up for the gym?  Enroll him in an out of school program like rowing, gardening, photography, anything to keep him busy and not in the house.  Ask him what his interests are and enroll him in something that will interest him.  Best wishes to you.
At this point,  the good news is he can't drive himself to a fast food joint and buy food.   You are buying all the food he has access to,  except at school.    

Are you active?  If he sees you going for long hikes,  or bike rides,  or working in the yard for hours,  or playing tennis,  he can do that too.  

At this point you are still completely in control - you may not think so,  but wait until he's 17 and you realize at 13,  you were IN CONTROL!

If you have to put sedentary toys away - like video games or tv controllers,  do it.
We all see this a lot with todays youth.  The problem is high fat foods, video games, computers, and 200 channels on your TV.  They may stimulate and entertain the brain, but do nothing for the body.  Stop buying chips, candy, and processed foods high in fat.  Replace them with fruits and vegies.  If you buy the vegies, make sure they are cleaned, cut up and ready to eat or they will rot before anyone touches them.  Do not allow raw vegies to be dipped into ranch dressing at 200-250 calories per Tablespoon.  To replace chips do low fat and light microwave popcorn.  Switch to salsa and tortillas instead of chips & dip.  Totally...I mean totally cut out all pop including diet.  Switch to water or no sugar tea.  Stay away from buffets and if you must do fast food, do it healthy.  Have a chili & salad with low fat dressing and order water.  Put time limits on video games, computer or TV.  Give him chores and encourage him to get outside and play or play sports.  Those are just a few changes that will help out.
Put the entire family on a very healthy eating program.  No fried foods, lots of veggies.  That way your son is not singled out.  Approach it as a new action plan so the entire family gets healthy.  You can be skinny and be out of shape.

I would also incorporate exercise into your family activities.  Take your son skating, skiiing, biking, hiking, swimming.  You will benefit as well.

Don't worry about him losing weight, he is still growing and he will grow into what he weighs now.  Just concentrate on a healthy lifestyle for all of you.

Good luck to you boy, I hope he is doing well in all other areas.

Ciel

Oh, there is a really neat gym here called Bulldog Fitness for kids, all the machines have video games on them, but you can only play if you are working out.  No adults are allowed (except parents).