Maternal & Child Community
Ovulation after D&C

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ovulation after D&C

Can you still ovulate while your HCG level is decreasing after having a D&C?  I just had a D&C done this past Friday and am anxious to try again.  This isn't my first D&C so I know that the HCG levels are to drop once the surgery is done.  I took a pregnancy test and an ovulation test this morning and both tests had 2 lines on them.  So I must have hormones from the miscarriage still, but can I be ovulating soon too?  Is it safe for us to try again so soon?
After my last m/c it took 6 weeks for my HCG to go below 5 but my level at the time of D&C was high, 70,000.  Ovulation can't occur unless you're level has gone below 5, 2.9 is the average.  You can however getyou're period with a low HCG level.  My level dropped by half about every week and 2 days after it was 15.7 I got my period.  I think I ovulated 16 days later (am still waiting to test).  I am also impatient and don't want to wait 3 months.  After my first m/c I concieved after first period and had beautiful baby boy. Good Luck and try to be patient, I know it is hard.
I've read tht HCG helps stimulate ovulation so at least we get something from all the trauma of a m/c.
I'm still spotting from the surgery.  My HCG level at the time of the D&C was low (5,000) and I know it drops quickly...just as fast as it increases with a healthy pregnancy.  I'm hoping that I am at zero or at a real low level so we can try again.
With the ovulation test strip coming out with 2 lines, I'm tempted to try again with hopes to get pregnant.  I'm going to test again tomorrow.  I have my post follow up with my Dr. tomorrow too and maybe I can ask her if I can take a Beta Quant blood test to confirm what my HCG level is at.
I don't think you have to be at 0, it tested mine last friday and it was 4.4, I think I ovulated 3-4 days later and at the rate it was going down, I know it wasn't at zero.  

Hopefully your Dr. checks it, mine wanted me to come in every week to watch it go down.  It just help to know where your body is at.
I think I will wait until 2 weeks.  When I researched when do you ovulate after a m/c or D&C, most articles stated women can get pregnant as early as 2 weeks after.  I think I can wait another week.
sorry my computer had a glitch. sex  before two weeks can introduce semen into your uterus and lead to an infection. the positive opk was most likely from left over hcg. those pick it up as well.

please please be careful
I agree w/chelly. The OPK will be pos as long as hpt is pos. If the hpt is still pos, your hcg is still way above 5 and too soon to o. TWO wks min b4 anything in vagina! You would not want to risk that serious of an infection. It could render you sterile. NOT worth the risk.
oh boy...don't do it! it takes two weeks for your cervix to close. sex before then can introduce semen into your uterus and lead too. they pick it up as well

you really need to wait two weeks before anything is in your vagina.

the infection you could get can lead to infertility because it can cause scarring.
My doctor told me it was safe to have sex 2 weeks after ovulation - when I brought up that we had unprotected sex (2 weeks after miscarriage) because I was sure that I was ovulating (though we found out after that my hcg levels were still up then so it is unlikely that I was ovulating) he said that was also safe. I mentioned that my cervix was still open and was worried about infection - he said it was still SAFE and that it is very possible that it was only the outer layer (there are two...?) of my cervix that open - not the inner layer...

Anyways, I'm told - though unlikely - it IS possible to ovulate even with hcg levels still up (but lowering) - and I don't think (incase you have already had unprotected sex) that you should be scared into thinking that you will be left sterile!

Not only my doctor - but my midwife agree it IS safe to make love - unprotected - after bleeding has subsided (and only brown spotting is left) and after at least two weeks after a D&C or miscarriage.

ALWAYS check with your doctor so you can hear it straight from the horse's mouth!!!

Good luck.
**** i have been reading these posts i had a termination done 8 weeks ago due to my babys brain hadnt formed so he would have been a vegetable my poor baby boys life wouldnt have been life tht is if he had of survived i kept bleeding so i went and had a d and c or friday and last night me and my boyfriend had a few drinks and we had sex very intese sex i hadnt bleed yet so pressumed it would be ok so now im worried is there anything i can do now im bleeding a bit so now i will wait at least 2 weeks no doctor told me anything about not having sex within a time frame wil i b ok??