Maternal & Child Community
PCOS N M/C

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

PCOS N M/C

THIS IS WHAT I FOUND OUT:

Women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome typically have a higher rate of miscarriage than those who do not suffer from PCOS. Miscarriage is defined as the spontaneous ending of a pregnancy before its 24th week. Some studies show that the rate of miscarriage in women with PCOS is as much as 50%, as compared to the national average of 15%. Not only do women with PCOS and its underlying Insulin Resistance have more difficulty attaining pregnancy, researchers have found that they have more complications after becoming pregnant, with such problems as preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, macrosomia, (babies bigger than 4,500 grams at birth), and clotting factors (1).

The exact cause of a miscarriage may be difficult to diagnose. There may be contributing factors such as genetics, or anatomic or infectious abnormalities. Frequently, the cause of a miscarriage is never explained. Researchers are looking into major contributing factors from hormone abnormalities, including Insulin Resistance.
hey i think your absulutly rite!! im happy for you! do u know what ur having? is this ur first? where u taking any medication to help you get preg.? and how long did it take you? sorry for the questions im just so anxious to finally get preg. and im hoping this month is the month just got done with the af thank you!!!!!!
take care!
24weeks???? i thought you should be ok after 16 weeks of pregnancy. does it mean that i am still in higher risk of misc. until 24 weeks because of my PCOS???? now you made me worry even more...
SORRY I DINT MEAN TO SCARRY YOU...BUT WHEN I READ IT SURFING THE INTERNET I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE GOOD FOR ALL OF US TO KNOW...IM SURE EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT BUT I THINK U CAN EVER BE SAFE TROUGHT UR WHOLE PREG.!!
BUT GOOD LUCK HOPE EVERYTHING GOES GOOD 4 U !!!
This is why I dont read EVERYTHING! I have PCOS and yes I had a m/c at 9.5wks but they could not medically tell me that it was the PCOS that caused it.  Yes your risk is higher but the different grades of PCOS in every woman is so varied that no professional doctor could tell you what your pregnancy will bring because you have PCOS.  I am now 25w3d pregnant with a healthy baby and about to go for my GTT but that is standard with every pregnancy, not just pcos so I am not worried at all and just think that I am like everyone else and normal.  I think it is good that you know about possible higher risks etc but really dont label ANYTHING under your name as you will have this just because you have PCOS.  Think of the better things of your PCOS....It does not necessarily stay with you forever, so if you have it now, it could just disapear in a few months with diet and exercise..or if your pregnant the pregnancy hormones can right your system back to normal.  This is a hurdle now, I am not doubting that, I had the worst time getting pregnant and it took a lot of time and patience but I kept on thinking this may not be forever!  good luck ladies & i truly hope you get to give the gift of life very soon.

Trudy
no thats ok. If i can get preg. one day i dont think i will not worry until i will hold my baby in my arms...i asked my ob, if my PCOS or my endometriosis caused my m/c but he told me no. To be honest i think it had something to do with it. i was absolutly ok, no pain, no bleeding, my scan went ok, still have a picture of my baby at 6 weeks and 12 weeks, with the heartbeat. i had missed m/c at 14 weeks started by bleading behind my placenta.
by the way.... thanks 4 info ... lots of baby dust 2 u.i will try again next monts, just got my af.
I know completely where you are coming from as I was exactly the same way for awhile there when I was ttc.  I am due June 1 with my first child and it took me close to 3years with fertility treatment to fall preggers....about 4.5years in total.  I had meds to bring on my period each month then I had clomid and it never made me ovulate and by the 6month I then had the only option of self injections of puregon (FSH hormone to get u to ovualte) everyday and then monitored with vaginal scans to track the size of eggs and once at about 20-22mm in size I was given a pregnyl injection (hcg hormone to pomote ovulation) and once I had that the gyn/ob was about 99% sure i would ovulate by midnight the folling night. Boy did it take the 'FUN' out of jsut bd'ing.  It still however took me near on 6months (had to have a break in the middle) before I got pregnant and lost baby #1 and then after DNC I waited a month, tried the injections for 2 cycles and then I got lucky but with a bad reaction of over stimulated ovaries...this has since settle itself and is a risk of having any hormones.  If I didnt do the self injections I could have tried IVF but it is bascially the same drugs but in a lower form that I can administer...NEVER give up. I am thinking of you and send you an abundance of baby dust that hopefully will stick with you this month!  Never feel you have asked too many questions, positive outcomes are always great to hear and I am happy to share my news in hopes that it keeps those trying still saine with a light at the end of the tunel.

Trudy
see thas my thing i got married in sep. 06 and me and my dh decided to have a baby rite away when i though for sure i was goin to get preg. on my honeymoon and  it never happend i knew somenthing was wrong thas when i went to see the ob and i found out all these things its like very hard i drove home that one day when he told me i had PCOS shocked cuz i had no idea what that was and all i kept thinking was i cant have kids!! i cried for months and still today i cant get over it all i think is that its hard not to...im goin insane and i cant really talk to anyone about it beacuse nobody in my life expcet my sister knows and she is young (20) she thinks im overesagering and that i shoudnt worry anout it...but its easy said than done! i just hope to god that he will give me at least one baby..and im looking forward to ovulated this month which i dont see it happen i take my temperature everyday and its always 96 or 97 the highest has been 97.90 than sometimes i wonder why is this happening to me?? i get very emotianal when i hear other people storys and its amazing what you went tru i wish you THE BEST!!
Take care!~