Maternal & Child Community
PCOS and Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

PCOS and Pregnancy

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome in early march and was told that to conceive it would probably involve a lengthy process of IVF. But to my suprise(and happiness)I found out that I was 4.5 wks pregnant about a  month ago. I was wondering if anyone knew if PCOS caused any problems during pregnancy or if it just causes problems with fertility? Any personal experiences or information would be great. Thanks, hope to hear from you soon.
Wow that is great news b'cos what your dr said regarding the lengthy process is usually the norm with pcos. I have pcos and have ttc for 2.5yrs now and have not done ivf, i have had fertility medication such as clomid (for 3mths and never works) and injection twice before it worked and i fell preggers in march but miscarried in may :(.......Now it is best you look what I am about to tell you up, but I dont know if it was because I have pcos that the doc warned me I was a higher risk of m/c due to the eggs being weaker or if was because I was on meds....anywho what I do know is the pcos can be corrected sometimes by simply falling preggers and I am hoping for that miracle. As for you falling naturally that is such fantastic news that I would just worry about all the dirty nappies you will have in 9mths lol....Try not to stress over this, be proud you succeeded all by yourself....best of luck. Congrats and wishing you a healthy bubble of 9mths joy.
Hi, it sounds like you and I are exactly the same. I was told that I had PCOS in October of 05...I started to take Metformin,just so I could get my periods back. Come March I found out I was pregnant. My doctor did tell me that I would be high risk but so far everything has been great. I am not 15 weeks and things look good so far.
if you hop over to the ovarian cancer forum there are some girls on there that have that.  That site is not just for cancer, i actually have been going there for 6 months now and they are a great source of strength for me and others. They have such knowledge.  If you post exactly what you have written you will have many responses and people that have gone through it all :)

good luck

Angela
Hi ladies, I just wanted to say a big thankyou for your replies. I dont know anyone who has PCOS so its been great to get some helpful advice from those who know. Thanks for all the good wishes - I will keep you all posted on how I go.
Thanks again  = )
I just wanted to add my 2 cents.  I had a friend who was diagnosed with PCOS back in Oct/Nov '04.  She took medication to help regulate her periods and actually make her have them.  In August, right before she was to start ivf, she got pregnant on her own.  I'm happy to report she just delivered a precious baby boy and had no problems throughout her pregnancy.  Now, I'm not sure if her PCOS went away or what happened with that.  Good luck!
I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 20 and in college, so I went on birth control pills for about 6 years, I got married 2 years ago (I am 28 now)and decided to come off the pills and try something else in case it took a while for me to get periods too. As soon as I stopped the pill, I got regular periods and have had them ever since. I got pregnant unexpectedly in April 2005 and had a m/c, although I know it had nothing to do with PCOS. I got pregnant again in Jan 2006 and am 22 weeks tomorrow and everything has gone very well this time. I think just as every woman is different, every case of PCOS is different too. I was always told by doctors taht PCOS only effects fertility (if irregular periods or no ovulation, lot harder to get pregnant), but should have no effects on a pregnancy itself. Good luck, I'm so happy for you.
Congrafulations on your pregnancy. I was wondering if you could tell me if you are still taking metformin? I got pregnant twice on metformin and both times I was told to stop taking it and I miscarried. I am now reading on the web that you shouldn't stop taking it as it can Increase miscarraige (miscarriage). Just wondering what you were doing since you are progressing so nicley. Thanks
I was just told today that I have PCOS.  I just got married in May and my husband and I for sure want children.  Should we go ahead and start trying now?  We don't want to wait to long to have kids and I have been reading that it can take a while if you have PCOS.  I am not on any kind of birth control and haven't been for over a year now.  My doctor said as soon as we were ready to start trying to call her and she would put me on clomid?  Can anyone tell me what clomid is and if we should go ahead and start trying to get pregnant?  Please offer any words of encouragement because I am very concerned after hearing ALL this news today.
Hi, I am new here and very confused.  I recently found out that I have PCOS, I am 27 and have been ttc for over a year.  I will be seeing a fetility specialist in about two weeks. My problem is that I thought you don't ovulate if you have pcos, but my temp. charts and clear blue fertility monitor tells me clearly that I am.  I am also using progesterone cream once I confirm ovulation has taken place via temps.  Does anyone know if I am really ovulating and should continue or stop using the cream?  Thanks for your help, I am going crazy.
I'm delighted to hear all these success stories especially as my daughter has PCOS and has miscarried twice in the last year. No-one has mentioned having hormone deficiency problems during their pregnancy though and I was wondering if there was anyone who had to have their hormone levels monitored during their pregnancy in order to sustain it as has been suggested to my daughter and who successfully carried a baby to full term?
Just because you have pcos doesn't mean you don't ovulate. Pcos presents itself differently with all women. I've had it since I was 18, always had regular periods and ovulated. We were fortumate to get pregnant with our first very quickly. He's now three and my periods are super light and come twice a month, so I thinks the PCOS is to blame. We are starting to ttc now and hoping to do it the good old fashioned way.

bobritefox, I'd start to try to tttc now, if you can. It may happen super quickly or may take a little longer. Definitely chart ur basil body temp so you know whatsgoing on. Good luck!!!
When my hnow husband and I started to get serious in our relationship we started the talk about family and thats when I was told I had PCOS in 07. I had always had cycle problems and never knew what it was. We go5 married in October of 09 started seeing a fertility Dr a month before our wedding did fertility pills for 3 months and found out we were PG a few weeks before Christmas it was the best present I ever could have asked for. They did watch me carefully I had all the signs of pre clampcia but my bloodwork never should I actually had it so at 38 weeks I was inducesd and my beautiful daughter Addison was born. She is now 18 months and we are talking about trying agin. I still have not had a cycle since having Addison they say some women can go to normal cycles once having a baby but I didn't. I wish you good luck
I have PCOS and just found out bout a month ago...Dr said i would never be able to have a baby unless i had laroscopic surgery (which is scheduled for this comin up wednesday) so i hope after i have this surgery it will help my husband and i conceive....we have been trying for 2 years now!