Maternal & Child Community
PCOS and no ovulation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

PCOS and no ovulation

Hello all, this is my first time to post. I am almost 38 and due to my diabetes, have not menstrated now for approx 2yrs although due to some weight loss this yr I have had 3 spontaneous periods. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and do not seem to ovulate anymore. I was told that IVF or clomid would be a possibilty. I also found out that there is a likihood of having multiples.
Does Clomid start a period?? I know it helps with ovulation. Just need to see if other PCOS non menstrating woman have had any success on Clomid.
THANKS

I have PCOS and we did the IUI process, which our 2nd full attempt was succesful. I gave birth when I was 36.  We tried naturally for about a year before we were finally able to start the IUI process.  I had to take Provera to start my period and we had to wait a few months for me to have 3 normal periods before starting the IUI process.  The start of the IUI process for me was taking clomid for I think it was 4 days (labs done on day 3 and then before and after the injections) and then I moved onto to injections, then the IUI procedure and then the 2 week wait.  I felt so good on the hormones, as if my body was balanced like it was when I was on the pill.

Now, my close friend who also has pcos had success with clomid twice (she only took clomid) and for her third baby she didn't have to use anything.

We choose to go the IUI route instead of just trying clomid by itself for several personal reasons but the main one being our insurance at the time covered most of the IUI process.

Any questions feel free to ask.  And much luck to you.

Tara
Oh and multiplies, while it is a possiblity on clomid and with the IUI process, was explained to me that it was very low chance of multiples, and it would more than likey be twins if it did occur.
i have pcos and I have to recommend weight loss.. I got pg after 6 cycles of clomid and 2 cycles of injectables.. a lot of heart break and a TON of money.. then I lost 80lbs got my period back super regular and got pg first month not even trying...  low carb is the key with pcos.. good luck